Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Tempus had 16,000 gold removed from his account because he sold a book with a misleading title, if anyone has any spare gold, I could definitely use it towards starting the guild up. Only have about 6,000 out of the necessary 25,000

Oh no you don't. Details please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tempus Thales posted:

To make the long story short, see here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582612&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post462679823

Apparently the pubbie raised a report against me, and support kindly informed me that kind of aberrant behavior was not allowed on their game and that they had removed the funds from my account and given to the "victim" My account is suspended until next week.

I still think the game paid for itself with the whole book thing and the pubbie buying it.

Sample Book:

Oh, that book? How the gently caress is it the fault of anyone but the moron that paid for it? Especially 15,000 gold?

e: random edit. Is free targeting and charging your attacks worth it, or should I stick to auto targeting?

Node fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 4, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

I got like 5k sitting around doing nothing right now, ill pitch in 3k.

Also: Have you thought of a guild name yet. Ye Olde Goonsquad sounds good..

<fethers>

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Today was the first time I could commit more than a few minutes to the game. I have a boatload of questions, but I'll try to keep it to only the important ones for now. I read the guide in the OP, but opted to go to Brittany instead of Ardoris, which I will probably go to next. I claimed all my rewards and suffocated at all of the poo poo that appeared in my bank. I'm a "Royal Founder, Citizen" I think. I equipped all the Royal Founder gear I could - plate, shield, and cutlass. Am I ready to go out and slay dragons?

In UO, you could have a total amount of 700 skill points, so generally you GM'd 7 skills for a character. Why do you want to set skills to no train/unlearn in Shroud, however? I may have missed it, but I don't see a skill cap anywhere. What is the mechanic that stops you from GMing every skill in the game?

Despite reading everything I could about the deck and skill system I still don't loving get it. I'm dumb. Right now I have the fighter deck the game starts Courage players out with. Is anyone able to sum up in baby language why you lock or unlock glyphs, why you would want to have multiples of a glyph in your pool?

Finally, is Ardoris and Brittany waterfronts the premier real estate right now? I have a tax free founder village level deed, and a number of houses to choose from. I think my lot selection is in a week or so.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Trip report: ran from Brittany (it took me a long rear end time to figure out the exit to the city is... a balloon?) to Ardoris. Ardoris is pretty but has pretty much no NPCs to speak of. Went to Soltown as the OP suggested, got a quest from a refugee that wants her silver necklace back. I went to the graveyard looking for it, entered the catacombs, killed a bunch of skeletons and thugs. One of the thugs dropped a key that let me open a room that had a secret door and some lovely chest at the end.

I feel like I'm in the wrong place.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I finished most of the Soltown quests, except the arson quest is bugged. I can't tell Stanley that Harry lit the fire no matter what I try. Eastern Perennial Trail was barren of content except for gathering things, and the occasional bear and caiman. Do I go to that tower next? Ardoris?

I know we're in alpha here, but I want to make sure I'm not missing a hotspot of activity or anything.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

You can get a nice chunk of adventuring XP in Ardoris just by talking to people. From memory I think getting official entry to the Palace of the Wind was an easy 5k.

However when you get sent to the next combat zone it's a giant meat gate that hasn't been toned down yet (Necropolis is currently 5 skull difficulty). So unless you're a walking murder machine you might want to work on character development, other quests or whatever takes your fancy until it gets rebalanced down the line.

Is the exp in Ardoris concentrated in one place? The town is huge. I remember walking through it once. It has lots and lots of plots with no NPCs around them.

Also, do you have an opinion on the prime spots to claim a Village level lot? If possible I'd like it to be in Brittany where all the people are going to be some day. Almost all the lots I see are row lots which are boring.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Trip Report, 8/8/16: I bought more combat skills and set only certain ones to raise and others to maintain or dont advance. I couldn't find a place appropriate for me to kill stuff. Either I could kill wolves and bears for 200 exp, or I could die at the Tower of the Shuttered Eye and Necropolis. There doesn't seem to be a place in between I can find anywhere in the Ardoris region. 200 exp isn't nearly enough, I drain that in one fight. Is there a place I can go that's one notch above wolves and bears? Those are 2 skull areas, and I only found one 3 skull area that kicked my rear end.

I tried remaking my combat deck into something that uses unlocked skill slots. I set four of them unlocked and dragged every combat skill I could into my pool, but I still only had 14/17 glyphs being used. I couldn't put any more in there unless they were stupid skills that I wouldn't want to use like drinking a potion. What causes a glyph slot to be blocked during combat by that grey icon? It's an interesting system, I can see myself liking it if I understood it better.

Lastly, the place I was adventuring, some Foothills, didn't have a single ore node. It was the most rocky and mountainous place I've been to but all I saw were trees to chop and plants to harvest. No copper, no tin, no nothing! Bullshit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

Go to Brittany and take the boat to Kingsport (Hidden Vale). From there go to Greymark Forest and kill elves. Take the loot and find the nearest convenient weapon merchant for maximum loot sale value. (you can sell anything anywhere but the right merchants give the best prices for certain things)
It's where I used to go to when I wanted a good XP infusion but now I do that in the Serpent Spine Foothills (4 skulls).

As you level your skills you can drop duplicates into your combat deck. This is a game changer. For example, I have four(4) stone fists in mine and can spam them as fast as the cards draw. 3 obsidian arrows, you get the idea. I forget what the thresholds are but by the time you have 20 in riposte or whatever you should be able to slot 2 cards and it only goes up from there. I don't know if it goes beyond 4 maximum but that's my current limit.

I'm a big fan of defensive stance. Mine is level 55 and gives me +15.5 damage resistance - that's more than a whole other suit of armor and helps a lot when I have 3 large timber wolves trying to eat me or a bear patriarch in my face.

Once you're comfortable fighting 3 skull difficulty content your XP issues will go away for a while, until your skills start getting much higher.

Hope that helps!

I'll check it out. It better have ore nodes!

What are the pros and cons of filling your combat deck vs. not filling it out? Do you get more of those grey icons that block you from using that slot or something?

MINI TRIP REPORT: The elves kick my rear end and I haven't found a single place to mine. F------- would not buy again.

Node fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 8, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

Oh you need a more stepping stone area. Try West Ravenswood. That's 2 skull and also in the Hidden Vale.

I forget the layout but I think if you go... left through the forest spider section you'll find the kobold area and they're good to farm for loot. Circle any rock outcroppings you pass for ore.

Kobolds have been decent experience but their loot is crappy. Just rusty and kobold hammers that weigh a lot and don't sell well.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

Well if you kill a bunch of em and sell the loot it adds up quite nicely.

The gold that is..

Can you buy (from NPCs) stuff that is better than the armor and weapons you get from pledge rewards? Like Royal Founder, Founder stuff. I haven't actually found a use for gold yet...

... except for repair kits. Where can I get some in the Hidden Valley area?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
When you claim a lot, does it consume the deed? Or do you get the deed back if you abandon the lot? I've found a few decent spots and my lot selection group is coming up, but I don't want to waste a deed on something that I am pretty clueless about.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

You can get it back.

Alright cool. I'll just plop one down then. Brittany Estates is all city+ lots so I'm going to settle with Brittany Fields.

Changing subjects, I've gotten a lot of granite blocks from mining. I've read you can make them in to various stone decorations. Where can I find recipes for that? And recipes beyond iron, to get weapons like

DancingShade posted:

my meteoric iron halberd

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

30.5 Days posted:

what are good/bad stuff to play as, are there any trap options? The stuff in the OP stops at tower of the shuttered eye but now there's these other places? Everything's crafting, do you just get all the skills and do everything yourself or is that dumb/impossible?

As of right now its possible to max out every skill but it would take ages and ages. When you complete quests or kill a monster, you get experience added to your experience pool. Every time you use a skill, it draws from that pool. Higher level skills either draw more experience or take more experience to raise a level, or both. So if you had no experience in your pool, you can swing your sword all you want, you won't raise your skill in it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

I just noticed that just auto attacking (not using any skills AT ALL) takes away from your pool.
I kinda find that really lame.

Isn't it raising your innate weapon skills? Like weapon damage, weapon speed, weapon crit rate, etc.? Those are glyphs for the weapon skill trees.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Where can I find recipes in game? Owls Head has a few, but I'm looking for blacksmithing ones like a helm. I just have this stupid Cavalier's Hat and I want to put some plate on it, but I cannot find a recipe anywhere.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I definitely like the way conversations and quests work. Giant exclamation points and magical pathways are stupid.

However, despite that, I can not tell Stanley in Soltown that Harry lit the fire. That is supposed to be the way you report the crime, but Stanley only sees the keyword FIRE and tells you his feelings about it, instead of responding to my accusation of the crime.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Anyone have any suggestions on a village lot location before I plop mine down in Brittany Fields in a couple days? Fields is okay except a couple of the village lots are next to a lake which has two gigantic rear end player owned lighthouses that shine its light everywhere, which looks stupid. Especially since its really more of a pond than a lake.

Does the Portalarium Store sell Ye Olde Lord British Wrecking Balles? I want to buy two.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Come up to Estgard, there's two of us there apparently. There should be tons of village lots left. Even waterfront village lots. Honestly after doing a bit of exploring, I think Estgard is the best city that isn't Brittany. If you don't mind walking, you have access to a TON of mainland without going through the gates.

By waterfront village lots do you mean village lots next to the water or the kind of lots that have houses on stilts? Because I like the former, not the latter.

And I'm not trying to poo poo on your opinion here or nothin', but I don't see what makes this place stand out compared to other places. I've been exploring it for 15 minutes now or so.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

There are both, there are the houses with nice views of lakes and there are houses on stilts.

They're going to redesign it and it's going to become a major city. Now it's basically a player owned town but I really like it because it's really accessible.

I have found a couple spots in Estgard, one right next to the public crafting pavilion, and one viewing the water. It's tempting. Or I could be in the center of it all in Brittany Fields, hopefully away from those god drat lighthouses.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
TRIP REPORT: I went into The Epitath today. While it doesn't look fully fleshed out yet, like much of the game, it has a few fetch quests connecting it to the town of Desolis. When you climb down the stairs to the bottom, you're flanked by red-leveled slimes to each side, but they are slow and easily avoidable. Then I explored this prison place and collected three books, fighting a bunch of orange-leveled Underdweller elves (but they only gave me ~100 exp or so?) NPCs outside of town wanted these books. One of them was a sketchbook of his daughter's (what kind of shithead of a dad brings his daughter to the bottom of a dungeon surrounded by armed prisoners!?) I found a room that had a bigass troll in it that I couldn't pass. Near him was a vaulted room with a pool in the middle of it and a Satyr that kept telling me I will never find the Lens. He was right, I never found one.

Still, those three quests netted me 2500 xp each so it was nice.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

Node, this is your intervention. Stop buying into terrible MMOs by game designers who have no idea what they are doing.

You should have learned with Pantheon.

I can only get in character about Pantheon in Pantheon threads.

I had already pledged way too much on this game before the original Pantheon disaster anyway, so I may as well get my money's worth.

However, I thank you for your concern and your looking out for my well being.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I just strolled past Goonhouse. eRP stands for Erotic Roleplaying, right? When can I sign up?

Seriously though, when UO2 was being hyped, people were having many serious conversations on whether avatars could have sex with each other. (It's realistic!) Lum probably remembers.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Right now it's a thing, but it's extremely basic and it certainly won't be something that you'll want to focus on. In the future though? Who knows, because this is only part one of five titles under the Shroud of the Avatar series and I'd imagine they'll move in the direction that the community wants (expecting a lot of improvements/additions to the sandbox since that is what is retaining players).

This always made me curious. What do they mean when they have an episodic MMORPG? Will the world change, perhaps new dungeons, new quests? Will we start over five times, or keep our characters?

Node fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 13, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

Pretty sure episode = expansion. New lands, quests, game content etc.

I don't know why I didn't assume that at first.

T MINUS 2 HOURS AND 55 MINUTES UNTIL LOT PLACEMENT FOR NODE

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

What kind of lot do you have? And do you know where you're going? There's tons of space left up here still.

Also, taking recommendations for guild name

I placed my house at the other end of town, down the road from the erotic roleplaying dungeon of yours. This Citizen's house is underwhelming considering how much money I blindly threw at the game. Maybe I should start a GoFundMe so I can pledge the Lord of the Manor 2 level and get a castle.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Log in and meet me at my house. I'll show you a better place for your property (if you want it)

Maybe later. I've been looking for housing decoration vendors. I know a lot is player crafted, but one post I searched for says there are some in Kingsport, Owls Head, and Solaria, but I haven't found any in any of those towns. Are there no basic items I can purchase to decorate my house with?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Oh poo poo. I didn't even know banks had a second floor. That is probably good information.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Unctuous Cretin posted:

In keeping with Portalarium's ridiculous convention of calling everything "X of the Avatar" can we use it for the guild name?

Goon of Avatar, Stairs of the Avatar, Goonsquad of the Avatar, etc?

I've always been a fan of Pretentious Latin Guild Name, personally

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Oh, Lum: will there be a way to kill Lord British in this game? Via having a sign fall on his head, poisoning his dinner, or pulling a Rainz?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

BromanderData posted:

Welp after constant nagging from my brother I will light $45 on fire to give this game a try.

So I will still be a landless peasant.

Don't expect $45 worth of a game yet, it's still going to be some time before it reaches that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yeah that's the thing, it seems like there is 20 dollars worth of game that you can only get for a 45 dollar package. I'd totally jump on a UO style trainwreck to watch it develop, but not for the price of a real game. That's just crazy talk.

I wouldn't classify it as a trainwreck. At least, not compared to the trainwreck Pantheon's Kickstarter was. If Portalarium continues to patch and update, I think we're going to get a decent to very good game. Eventually. We just got it on a new business model where the developer could keep it in Early Access limbo for who knows how long.

I mean, look at the addon store. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085 . $5 for an emote! A smokeable pipe (10 different designs) for $10! A 3 level, castle-sized basement (castle and castle lot not included) the size of multiple dungeons combined for $150!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

Actually they have been really good at releasing patches and taking care of bugs and loading times.
They just need to completely pull the combat mechanics and redo it and optimize the hell outta the game and its pretty much gonna be ok.

Also: i dig the instruments.

It needs about 8000x more quests and unique NPCs (with schedules) like some parts of Ultima 4-7 did, to get really solid. And that's what they are working on. It doesn't sound like combat is going to get attention right away unfortunately. I still can't loving kill anything in 4 skull difficulty areas and I am sick to death of killing wolves, skeletons, and bears with the same weapon I started with.

Crafting is an enormous timesink as well. Maybe too much. I mine everything I see, and I go to the Owl's Nest mine to mine there, which is the densest place for veins I've found so far. All that for maybe 18 ingots of copper and 20 of iron over a few days. And I could make two or three things before I'm out of ingots. All this while I see player vendors selling 400 gold ore. Where the gently caress do they get all of that?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Are the random translucent skeletons on the ground places where people have died before? Like a Dark Souls soul patch?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

Reminder that you can double tap forwards to sprint as a number of people don't realise that initially.

Dead player skeletons are hilarious in certain places as you know exactly what went wrong for so many people.

It's only missing their shade's last few seconds of action before they died.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Sounds like a swell place but I can't kill anything in four skull areas let alone five. What the heck is masterworking? I thought it was when you get an exceptional bonus when you craft something but I guess that is different.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

An exceptional item just means +50 durability which is great because each time you masterwork something you lower the maximum durability. So you want exceptional items for masterworking unless you want to be that guy I saw who made a KillDeathMurder +8 halberd with just 20/20 durability. I almost bought it for a laugh because it was awesome but the drat thing would be a maintenance nightmare.

Basically masterworking is another profession specific recipe where you take a crafted item + a workbench then use the masterwork recipe (basically 5 silver ingots) to try your luck at making a Cool McAwesome thing. It also runs off its own skill in the crafting tree.
If it fails you blow up the item and the more you do it to the same item, the greater the chance of failure.

I get it. Masterworking uses silver and gold (for blacksmithing) right? Wouldn't that be a prohibitive grind if you have to use five ingots each time? Is there a decent guide for efficiently leveling up blacksmithing and its various sub-glyphs like masterworking?

And while I'm asking questions, at what point do I start seeing better swords? I've seen meteoric iron longsword +5s or similar for sale and they still do less damage than my Royal Founder starter poo poo.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm assuming this game doesn't have IDOCs and just returns all your housing items to your bank if your lot time runs out. But oh man that would be fun. IDOC slaughters were fun times.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

I have no idea what an IDOC is sorry.

Houses in Ultima Online could decay if the owner didn't access it periodically. When it does decay, the house is destroyed, and everything in the house just plops to the ground and is free for the taking. And since banks were much more limited in storage than they are in Shroud, that meant people would stock houses with incalculable amounts of goods. You could check what state a house's decay was in by clicking its sign. The last state was In Danger of Collapsing.

People would make it a habit of scouring the world, looking for IDOCs. They'd camp it, waiting for it to decay. But sometimes word would get out, and many people would converge and wait for it. And when it did decay, it would be a free for all with people murdering each other so they could loot as much as possible.

Of course, you couldn't do that on Trammel (no pvp facet) once The Renaissance was introduced, but you still could on Felucca (regular game, pvp and stealing allowed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jabro posted:

Ah, okay, thanks. That better than IDOCs for me but sucks for other people's stuff.

IDOCs are In Danger of Collapsing. In Ultima Online houses were on a 2 week timer. If you didn't refresh your house by clicking on the house sign the house would decay over 2 weeks. There were various levels of decay and the last before collapsing was IDOC. When that happened the house would basically disappear and all the poo poo inside would be on the ground. You would have people who collected things for years all of sudden quit or whatever so the the value of the items would be in the millions. Guilds would war over the IDOCs and it was basically the best PVP UO had to offer.

pLaTeDeWd:viking of vanq
invul set xept arms
heter of fot
fort