Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If anyone wants Shroud of the Avatar+Star Citizen, get this new special deal they have going on today
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085#tab-specials
Please don't buy into either one of these games as they are both awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Node, this is your intervention. Stop buying into terrible MMOs by game designers who have no idea what they are doing.

You should have learned with Pantheon.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

I can only get in character about Pantheon in Pantheon threads.

I had already pledged way too much on this game before the original Pantheon disaster anyway, so I may as well get my money's worth.

However, I thank you for your concern and your looking out for my well being.
I'm rooting for ya buddy.

Hope you guys enjoy the game!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

30.5 Days posted:

Pretty sure that's going to end in tears.
That's been the outcome of this game from the beginning.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Anyone playing recently?
No, games dead at this point. Not sure if release will be any better.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gayme Isdaed

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
btw lum are the rumors true that you guys are essentially going on maintenance mode and that the vast majority of content will be delayed indefinitely as you continue to sell cash shop items? just asking as a low tier backer waiting for gold release

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

btw lum are the rumors true that you guys are essentially going on maintenance mode and that the vast majority of content will be delayed indefinitely as you continue to sell cash shop items? just asking as a low tier backer waiting for gold release
let me answer that for you: yes.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

I remember when I 'donated' a lot of money to this bad game. Is this bad game still a scam or is it merely a bad game now?
luckily it's both

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wowwweeeeee
https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP/status/850041975269150720

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

headspace posted:

I have been playing for a couple weeks. I like the game a great deal. It pushes the right buttons psychologically.
What exactly does it do right? I've played myself and found the entire game to be nearly incomprehensible by modern standards.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
anyone backing this was dumb as gently caress lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6elvda/after_rereading_everything_in_seedinvest_im_about/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I'm sorry this is upsetting to you. I understand how you feel. I get worried when I think important things are not going into the game. One thing and I know you may not want to acknowledge this or hear it but here goes and my opinion only.

I believe Chris Roberts to be an honorable man. As much as he wants to do it all and have the team do it all they cannot do it all right this moment. The game you want cannot be made right now, but in my opinion it does not mean that it will not be made. As much as you want them to make both games right now the online version and the single player version I do not believe they can give both the attention that they need.

Also in my opinion Chris Roberts will honor his word and give the single player game his full attention when he can which is not right now. If Only They would ever say that it would make things easier. If you knew that one day they would pay full attention to the single player game then maybe you could just participate by helping with your great ideas with a better understanding of what is going on.

There is nothing that we can do to change the situation of CIG trying to make a game and pretending or seeming to pretend that they can do them both right now. I do not believe that they can't make the game for single player that will be wonderful but I too do not believe that it won't happen. Whenever they can they will make it right imo. So I don't know what else to say and just my opinions.

I always love your thoughts on what you see that the game you want should have and I do wish for you who has stuck with this for so long to get everything that you want one day. I just don't believe that that day is right now.
lol

its like we can see the future or something

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Any developer that stayed on with this project loving knew full well how dire things were and Lum you're just as goddamn bad.

Thanks for taking my cash! I'm dumb.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I'm regretting this.

dude, just about this?? you and node need a loving support group at this point

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
who could've guessed at any of this???

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • almost none of the stretch goals listed in the kickstarter will be implemented
  • release will be a total MVP to drudge up sales around oct/nov this year
  • free weekends brought almost no new players into the game
  • staff will be cut following release, including some high profile people
  • patches will add additional cash shop items but less and less gameplay
  • story and promised single player content will be pushed to TBA
  • heavily focused on the MMO portion
  • players who have spent over $1,000 consist of 99% of ongoing sales
  • peak players for Feb 2017 averaged less than 160
  • monthly income cannot cover expenditures
  • big name CEO is using own funds to cover the losses
shroud of the avatar

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I bought in at the Royal Founder Knight level (so I am the worst with money goon I think?) but on the other hand I have 488 hours in SotA according to Steam and I played it a lot before I even linked my account so I don't even know what the real total is.

It wasn't a total loss at least and I did enjoy playing it.

No, I did not back Ashes of Creation. I only backed SotA because of the specific people involved in the project. Pity it didn't work out but I knew the risks.
488 hours in Shroud of the Avatar. 488 hours of buggy, hilariously broken and unfinished content. For $750.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, you didn't even really play it, the game is still in alpha so you paid a bunch of money to help test the game.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

They're going full Stalin on the Steam forums. Even intentionally locking but not deleting the mildly offensive threads, then deleting most of the angry threads about the news and pretending they're only locking the "troll posts".
Also on their own forums, they are deleting or locking threads mentioning SeedInvest. Here's the fun, wacky reason!

quote:

We understand your concerns, and our apologies about being so overly restrictive here. This is purely because of the legality of how SeedInvest is setup. You can only post constructive questions without what's called "Tombstone" information from the SeedInvest. Even then, we have to direct you to the SeedInvest website.

Please know that SeedInvest takes these sort of discussions VERY serious. We basically can only point you to the official SeedInvest page where questions will then be answered there. We cannot legally talk about anything Tombstone related.
loving lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the hilarious thing is that lum posted quite a few things defending, of all loving things, Star Citizen

my favorite thing is

quote:

the author knows quite a few people over at Cloud Imperium and wishes them all the best and wants a cool game for his Oculus Rift when it comes out, please.
because lol that VR is ever loving coming out in SC, ever

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Go big or go home
Just kidding I cancelled my pledge which will go to a space jpeg if I like Star Citizen 3.0 later this month
And so your endless circle of disappointment and bad video game buys begins again.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Soup du Journey posted:

i downloaded the game for the free trial in may and logged in maybe once. it didnt run well on my laptop and it felt like it tried to be too many things at once. i hate greeter npcs. i hate greeter npcs.

has lum been visible at all btw? is he strung up on a lamp post on some dusty street somewhere? i bet life over there is like 2003 iraq right now
lum used to post in this thread but now I think maybe he won't

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A reminder that a single person pledged more than $100,000 to this game and dozens of people put in $10,000 pledges to design and name NPCs.

:lol:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah, dissenters must be silenced, everything is great, please invest more, no one has anything negative to say about the game just look at any forums where we've banned anyone even thinking about talking poo poo

why people continue to get scammed by this I dunno

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hey lum,

why don't you come on down and try to explain all this poo poo to us, the people who helped pay you for a couple years

thanks

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

Top 8 List Of Why Lum Doesn't Post Here Any More:

8: Because "I don't post here in any official capacity" is respected about as often as Richard's sartorial choices?
7: Because extra stout mocked me in LOTRO?
6: Low tolerance for being screamed at incoherently?
5: Reddit has new, shinier hatred?
4: goons.txt
3: Because I literally cannot by law talk about anything investment related thanks to SEC rules?
2: Because, surprisingly, many people who post in these threads confuse "working somewhere" with "making all the decisions"?
1: I hate you?
thank you for your time and your answers, mr sessions

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I'd be shocked if many of the complaints come from actual customers. This is SA, home of the :bandwagon:
are you really saying most backers are 100% fine with the state of the game and development and that everyone else is some troll just looking to slight lord british or something

wtf

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

:member: member when you used to have thick skin? when you used to rip into terrible mmos?
stared too long into the abyss of richard garriotts rear end in a top hat

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
things are great here at Portalarium and in an effort to completely silence all criticisms of our terrible piece of poo poo MMO-hybrid thing, we've decided that squelching people on our official message board isn't enough

to that end we've created a new reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/SotA_Official/ ! that way you don't have to see the last six people who actually play this complain about how broken it is

give us money! the game is awesome! money! yay $$$$

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I love how basically every question is answered by saying

quote:

Yes! It's coming soon. New quests, new NPCs, new secrets, new puzzles, new world story, wandering traders, new animals, new group content, brewing, eating, cooking, farming, agriculture, end-game improvements, single-player and group improvements, better dev communication, creature variety, dungeons, an entire crafting overhaul, fixed content bugs, new map features, new quest tracking system, new ways to interact with NPCs, setting offline party AI and equipment, player item drops anywhere, mounts, new pets, game engine optimization, new dev tools, international servers, new music, all physical rewards for backers, new skills, new titles, armor and clothing dyes, sidequests, dynamic content, PvP overhaul and castle conquering, hiding helms and cloaks, combat overhaul, furniture and decoration crafting, followers in online areas, new Lunar Rift areas, and much more all coming before the end of the year. Thanks for backing! And please see our SeedInvest site.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think he's punished enough for having to work on shroud of the avatar

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd much rather have a clean beheading than crawling into work and watching richard garriotts rat tailed head whiz by on some wheeled robot, yelling at everyone for not making things cool and neat like the pathfinder campaign he played last night

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
port's seedinvest is sitting at around $125,000 or around 6% of their investment goal

they have 46 days left to raise around $1.85m and at this point all the heavy whales have already bought in

the company is not going to see the end of the year unless garriott puts in another $5m to bail em out

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
which he is not, absolutely not, willing to do

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this can only mean good things, I'm sure

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lum come back in here

you gots some splainin' to do

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
it's more the latter, which everyone saw coming

the core game is crap, mechanics are crap, content is crap. how people continue to keep the dream alive by buying $50 asset flip outhouses, I dunno

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm all for sparing Lum some of the blame, but he consistently harped on game companies like this for years.

When he joined, a lot of people were like "Oh, he's not gonna stand for any bullshit!" and expected him to help keep the project from turning into the current horror show of constant pledge drives, broken mechanics (like even basic combat is a mess), extremely low content (for any game, let alone an MMO) and a dev team who blubbers "But stuff is hard guys, who knew?? Let's sell some blood so you can have a single questgiver in this 50km area."

Right now they are going to shove this out the door and then lay off all non-essential staff (everyone but the guys who can still asset flip for them, I'm guessing). The game that's releasing is pretty much it. It fulfills their promise of getting the game out the door, locks any and all refunds down (well they've been doing that for years now anyway), and stops backers from trying to find any legal recourse against them.

This lovely mess is the best we'll most likely get. The hope that somehow another 50 hours of single player content and a rich, lore driven MMO that every player can affect will somehow spring up from this dysfunctional and amateur-hour team is a very, very silly one.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

If you're a backer receiving physical goods, make sure you give them your address on the account page.

Don't want to miss out on your signed Richard Garriott deeds.
this was from September 3rd, 2016

physical items still haven't shipped

looking through some of the old posts DancingShade and Alexander DeLarge made makes me crack the hell up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
poor Node

one day you'll find your mmo Shangri-La