Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I put like $50 into this however many years ago that was now and was waiting to try and play until it was "done."

At least I learned my lesson and haven't pledged anything to Underworld Ascendant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Beast British posted:

Gonna need more of you guys to throw your money into this game. We're having a blast, honest!

Can I get some bodily fluid on a plaque, maybe some eye boogers or something? Can take out a second mortgage, TIA.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

"to get everyone to not become interested in the game for trolling reasons"

Ha.

I'm sad I lost money on this, but it's pretty schadenfreudy to see how poorly the devs are handling everything.

Also, check out the investor webinar tomorrow!

**Upcoming Investor Webinar**

Join Richard Garriott, CEO and Creative Director of Portalarium, for an Investor Webinar on Wednesday, June 14th, at 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT

Register Here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2735149906524740355

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

extra stout posted:

Suppressive Person, often abbreviated SP, is a term used in Scientology to describe the "antisocial personalities" who, according to Scientology's founder L. Ron Hubbard, make up about 2.5% of the population. A statement on a Church of Scientology website describes this group as including notorious historic figures such as Adolf Hitler.

The term is often applied to those whom the Church perceives as its enemies, such as those whose "disastrous" and "suppressive" acts are said to impede the progress of individual Scientologists or the Scientology movement.

One of the reasons Scientology doctrines portray Suppressive Persons as such a danger is that they are supposed to make people around them become Potential Trouble Sources (abbreviated PTS). Scientology defines a PTS as "a person who is in some way connected to and being adversely affected by a suppressive person. Such a person is called a potential trouble source because he can be a lot of trouble to himself and to others." Hubbard suggested that Potential Trouble Sources make up 17.5% of the population.

Wait, is someone on the dev team a Scientologist?

If the Seedinvest doesn't work they could start a religion like L Ron did.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If they don't make $500k they have to give it all back, so they should be really hoping for that.

Not looking good though.

Meanwhile, you can participate in their party contest and win another hat.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I thought this was new and the SOTA community was about to poo poo themselves.

Still pretty funny it came out in 2013, after RG made the turd that is U9 and the failure of Tabula Rasa.

In other news, I decided to actually try SOTA. So far I don't hate it, but I do wonder why I wouldn't rather dip in to ESO once in a while since it is just as empty and pointless but the UI and graphics are both much better. They both seem to be the same level of time wastey pointlessness, but SOTA is just rough.

After 5 hours, the worst part of SOTA is that the NPCs make noises gathered from all of the worst games that my kid plays on the ipad. They sound like Minecraft NPCs crossed with every pay to win farming free app push notifications. Ugh

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

also credit where credit is due, teso has a story with a beginning, middle, and end. and there's no point where you just run into an empty area and say oh ok i guess they just... gave up.........

True. Maybe I'll buy Morrowind. Take that, Beast British!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hmm

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ming_Tokens.php

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Celebrities are doing a telethon for Houston flood survivors

meanwhile 165 miles away

*Darkstarr puts on a funny hat
*Chris answers a question, barely stifling his searing hatred for everyone
*In game dance party at 2 FPS

"I hereby pledge $1000 to secure Ye olde royal Virtue Lederhosen" -30 sad Avatars

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I went to see a fortune teller and she told me that Shroud will fail and Richard will then join the dev creative team at RSI.

Also if someone cuts off the rat tail he withers into a pile like the witch in Wizard of Oz.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Node posted:

Lord British is alive and well, as evidenced by His selling samples of His own blood.

I like to think they hired Chris Elliott to play LB after stealing all Garriott's blood for sweet sweet profits. Richard is floating around in space, star child style. This is why Portalarium is partnering with the Russians, it is all part of the conspiracy!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have written it down in my calendar. The exact day to sell my pledge and pour out a beer on the ground in memory of how good the Ultimas were.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hah Lord Shitish. Lord Dick Shitish. I like it.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I was so disappointed in IX. I busted my rear end to save Iolo right away and he had barely a word to say to me after. Dick.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I just sold my housing deed and I feel pretty good about getting out for almost what I pledged on the eve of "launch."

I logged in the other day and played for a while. The controls are hideous. I did not make it far. The tiny overworld map is extremely jarring when you leave a scene.

I was mostly excited about a Lord British story. When I tried this last time, "Arabella" the first NPC you encounter talked to me. She mentioned that I am the Avatar and there is an Oracle and also there was a cataclysm. So I typed "cataclysm" into their clunky rear end chat window.

I got some "I don't know what that is" bullshit. For a major plot point like the word "cataclysm". Nice job, Lum. I ragequit right there.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Percelus posted:

the cataclysm she is talking about is probably the 3rd wow expansion, often regarded as the worst one

So worst WOW expansion = best SOTA plot point. Makes sense

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I'm sure Lum is doing his best with Garriott who can't be bothered to actually care and Chris Spears who is just plain awful at game design. So actually, I will take back my jab at him. If he didn't have to force a story into Garriott's terrible dialogue system idea, Lum might have had a chance to make the NPCs say consistent things. The way it is now, 7/8ths of the things I type get a wtf response. NPCs who are placed a 10 second run from each other have no idea who the other one is. They bit off way more than they could chew with such an open ended system.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

What about Darkstarrs hair though? I would say that is worth more cuz it’s super rare!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Holy poo poo lol

E: This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf1nyanKWps

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 12, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If I had to guess, I would say Lum is none too happy with how this poo poo show went down. I never liked him back in the day, but I think he really did believe in the vision. Eventually the reality of the lack of direction + Garriott's not giving a fuckness piled on and suddenly Shroud is worse than U9. It has to be really hard to hear constant criticism about something you joined in good faith.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

T minus 25 days until a bunch of kickstarter backers and mmorpg lovers finally come and play the game and buy all of these house plots and capes and hot tubs and smoking emojis and hats and steampunk wings and horse statues and airships and moondials and cloaks and vendors and houses and outhouses and hats and instruments and cloaks everyone has been holding on to. Exciting!!!!!!!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

For being a space king, I would think Dick British would have a better cosplay outfit. (Or at least more than one.) Then again, all it takes for some whales to make it rain is spotting their idol in that same old getup. As an embarrassingly big Ultima fan, seeing him in that stupid outfit makes me sad as hell.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 16, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

First I heard of it was seeing it today at the SXSW gaming expo, with the booth manned by none other than Lord British himself. It was cool to meet him, none of my friends had any idea who he was.

Sad to hear the new game is not that good, when he explained it was basically Ultima Online 2 I was excited, but man these steam reviews are not pleasant.

It is totally Ultima Online 2 in these ways:

You can buy $30,000 in-game properties with real life money up front
You can buy emojis that let your character smoke a pipe or go in a hot tub that you also had to buy with real life money
You can't ride a horse but everyone gets "coconuts" that let you hear a horsey riding sound when you run
PVP is flagged only in the few zones that are pvp
People have wings, outhouses, floating airships and various steampunk accessories they bought with real money
Mining and harvesting nodes are scattered around hard to find

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It's launched but they are only just beginning to advertise. Soon there will be more than 499 people to playing at one time!!!!

After several incredibly successful years of Early Access, we have launched into full Live mode! Now we will move fully into acquiring new users with a dedicated marketing campaign and a steady slate of press and public appearances.

Once they actually advertise, these new people will rejuvenate the game and everyone will make money on their sad investments have a great time! Woo hoo! LB Forever!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Node posted:

I'm not. Mostly because I played the game a lot already. Since they have added stuff since I last played, I wouldn't really know where to start. I'd gladly post trip reports if I knew where to begin.

Can't you have more than one character now? You should do any of the new user areas and report back how they feel. Personally, it took two quests in for me to ragequit because of NPCs not knowing what I was talking about, but that was like November, maybe they fixed it by now?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

He only logs in to shake his rear end for whales, but everything he says about the game is a super detached idea about what the game should have been in a perfect world. He drops in to give blood, but that's it.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

They should have let Richard go, it's not like he's doing much.

Godspeed Lum.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Apparently they let go like 15 people. That’s nearly half the company. Truly we will be playing SOTA for years and years to come!

Garriott better squeeze everything he can out of this IP now while he still has anyone on the hook at all. That’s funny about his contract. “If someone is gonna utterly destroy the name Lord British, by god I’ll do it myself!”

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

You see, now that all those assets are downloaded it will only take half the team to recolor them for Episode 2.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

If he can do it after playing 16 hours a day every day for two years, anyone can do it! Fun!

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 27, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah, it’s harder to get rid of the account if it’s on Steam, and suddenly like 2 weeks ago they started banning account sales in their official forums. Hopefully you can find someone to buy if you want but that ship may have sailed. Unlike the in game ships lol

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 29, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Soup du Journey posted:

lol look at this kitschy poo poo. that 80s nostalgia is starting to wane fast

And yet the worst part is Lord British’s ugly rear end logo

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Frog Act posted:

i honestly can't get enough of laughing at this fuckin game

there's a dude named Vladimir_Begemot who is in every single forum imaginable defending SOTA 24/7. its really a staggering level of commitment. He's on the official forums, SOTA reddit, SOTA_raw reddit, SOTA_official reddit, the steam community, and i bet if you were to search hsi name you'd find him on like twitter and stuff. I'm just listing places I remember seeing his name while clicking links related to this game/browsing the steam community. after reading a bunch of his posts in all these places where he breathlessly defends (at length, too, almost every time) any criticism of SOTA, from "the combat isn't great" to "i feel like they stole twenty thousand dollars from me", he's there, even trying to talk up the single player game and poo poo, i feel terribly sorry for him.

this dude has invested literally his whole life, and probably most of his money, in SOTA and its gonna be gone in like two months, at best. they moved to weekly 12-hours fundraising windows and on their last telethon they barely made like 20k. the amount they fundraise goes down by a huge proportion every time they have one, along with the number of employees left in the studio

i know this is a lot of words about a game i have never played or owned but its just...its something else. i find it more interesting than StarCitizen, even, SOTA has this palpable aura of misery and isolation, of chunky older nerds in their lower-middle class grown up houses pining for the feelings they felt when they played DND with their friends or Ultima for the first time as kids that they will never ever get back and they're like pouring everything they have into chasing that pathetic dragon

Vlad is busy on the SOTA Reddit calling for moderation because people called Dick Shittish "lazy" and is claiming that is a personal attack. I wonder how much blood and hair are on his shrine to this poo poo show

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would love to hear from Someone who worked there who is to blame for the whole mess. Did Garriott prefer everyone to listen to the whales or did he never care? Is Chris as insufferable to work with as he sounds?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

clone on the phone posted:

I bet it’s not a big download,

It's just a measly 22 gb! 21 of those are flipped unity assets.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2018

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

All you need to do is cut his rat tail off at the base and he will melt into a puddle like the wicked witch of the West. You can then sell the resultant goo to backers.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It is free to play, so check it out and report back!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Someone snap Barbie's leg back on, fast!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Why "Catnip Games?" There is already a Catnip Games that must be somewhat successful - in the Netherlands. Spears admits they did Bomberman for Xbox, so he must have known the name was taken.

Then there is a Catnip Studios who Dr.Cat was part of. Is Chris trolling with this name or is there a reason?

Was Garriott never that involved? Do guys named Chris feel compelled to take millions from fans and make crap games? Will Chris Spears sell his underwear and boogers to fans now? Is his wife the VP of marketing?

So many questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I thought he was more into space than arctic? What is he doing up there?

Pretty sure he wants to one up the other rich guys.

Rich guy: "I've been on vacation on every continent, and 194 countries!"

Richard: "I've been on vacation on every continent, 195 countries, AND SPACE!"