Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
The Seedinvest page, claims that the company wont be affected by "trends".

That's a pretty big gently caress-up, last time I checked, there's just one Subscription MMO left (WoW), even EVE has a free-to-play option these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Zerilan posted:

I couldn't afford to actually play on the paid UO servers so my experiences are pretty much solely with smaller servers.

I'll try 7 sometime though. I loved 3 on NES but I got the game when I was really young and my older cousin gave me all his NES stuff after buying a genesis, and it was too complicated of a game for me to figure out for a couple years later when i got a bit older.

I've never played even one of the Ultima games, never even knew of their existence until much later.

I did play Tabula Rasa and that's why I didn't even consider dumping any money on this stupid pile of crap.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Lonjon posted:

This right here is why Lum is still cool.

No he's not, it's a standard corporate tactic, just repeat the lie enough times for it to become the truth.

MMO has failed, game has failed, another classic developer should probably go and do something else.

Nothing to see here.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

CoffeeBooze posted:

Wait so this game is actually going to release? And soon?

Wow.

Only as a sad spectre, don't worry, this is another gift of shadenfreude that'll keep feeding us all.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So even after launch, Steam Charts say less than 500 players on Steam.

The lunatics claim that "many" more play the game on the standalone client.

I really loving doubt that, another kickstarter has basically failed miserably, but at least this time around, we can laugh as the backers rummage through the garbage that was released.

Come, let us laugh.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Gawain The Blind posted:

All time peak of steam users: 603.

Peak in the last 30 days: 569.

I just looked at the twitch numbers, SIX viewers, that's just sad.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Gynovore posted:

It pains me to say this, but it looks like Lord British had his 15 minutes of fame back in the 80's and has been coasting ever since.

Some of us still remember Tabula Rasa being poo poo.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

extra stout posted:

Still play this? When did people play it?

Why did people play it?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Seeing as this is free, I went in for a try.

It's total poo poo. Seriously. Just awful, ugly as sin, crap story and INSTANCES EVERYWHERE!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

CoffeeBooze posted:

Did you see any other players?

Yes, a bunch of Outlanders, which is the starting title.

Which means they are the same as me, bored idiots.

You get a free house for just logging in the first time too.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Dementropy posted:

It's not exactly like MassivelyOP has given Shroud of the Avatar a pass in the past. In fact, they've been rather critical.

A video game journalistic website being critical? Aghast! How dreadful, how dare they not feeding the endless hype machine!

/satire

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Richard Garriott blocked me on twitter :(

Just because I called him a dinosaur and said that Sid Meier* is the last good old developer left, probably because he just makes his staff play board games.

*Shut the gently caress up.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I said come in! posted:

This tbh. That is one of the big things about Sid Meier, he didn't take a decades long hiatus from video game development like these others have. He also hasn't taken advantage of his fanbase with sketchy kickstarters.

Yeah, basically it. It's him, couple of the Japanese guys and that's pretty much it.

Everyone else is either gone, mobile games or abject failures.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Welp, hate to reawaken this mess, but the party never ends:

https://massivelyop.com/2022/02/23/seedinvest-portalarium-shroud-of-the-avatar-investors-accountability/

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Were the $5,000 packs the ones that included Sir Richards blood? Because if the live stream of him filling the vials was any indication, they sold a few.

Much more importantly, did anyone here go for the SeedInvest thing and REALLY got ripped off?

At least those poor sods can get a tax write off if they get the right paperwork.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Freakazoid_ posted:

I actually thought there was going to be a kind of MMO revival as Garriott and McQuaid's different approaches would cause the next generation of MMOs to build off their successes.

Why? Garriott failed with Tabula Rasa and McQuaid failed with Vanguard, we were all warned what was going on.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Gynovore posted:

I wouldn't say Tabula Rasa failed. From what I heard it was decent, it just never found it's niche.

Plus, you know... NCSoft.

I bought Tabula Rasa, it wasn't good, like at all.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Well, when you fail, go blockchain: https://massivelyop.com/2022/04/12/richard-garriott-is-building-a-blockchain-mmo-following-the-failure-of-shroud-of-the-avatar/

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

The Lone Badger posted:

How's Pathfinder Online going these days?

Died last year, they've had much more success with the Pathfinder Isometric RPGs instead, turns out the license is much better suited to single player experiences instead.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/1572303133849817088?s=20&t=zD6VXaaT4RHH00jdRVG-Zw

Lol Richard Garriot is truly a class-A piece of poo poo. It’s always someone else’s fault.

Thank you for sharing his tweets, fucker blocked me for reasons I honestly can't remember.

Probably mocking him being basically a total failure for years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I wish I could laugh at Garriott's stupid NFT tweets.

But he actually blocked me after I mocked Shroud pf the Avatar.

Thin-skinned fucker ain't he?