Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is it possible to get land and a house in the single player offline mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Granted this is from 2013 but lmao in retrospect. All of these people, Richard Garriot included, are horrible hacks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

Shroud of the Avatar is going to own.

I use to believe this, but now I know better along with a refund.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What's the state of Shroud of the Avatar now? Is it getting any closer to being out of Early Access development hell? What is taking so long if it's not?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed that Shroud is free for this month. So I started playing a little bit tonight to see where the game is. It's certainly in better shape then it was when I last touched the game and decided to get a refund.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a general grinding guide or something that explains where you should go as you progress in skill? Quests that are worth doing as well.

I feel like this game is on the right track finally but it's still buggy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

I don't think there is much of one, which is a big problem. If I wanted to start playing again, I'd have no idea where to look up what they added, and what I can do, or goals I should work towards.

Something I noticed that I like is that now the addon store is only paid for in online mode. The page claims, if i'm reading it correctly, that everything on that page can be obtained for free in offline mode by just finding or crafting it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

The only thing I've purchased (other than my kickstarter pledge) is the /vomit emote, because, well, I have to be able to puke at all times. I don't think you can get that in game. I must be misinterpreting what you're saying. What page are you referring to?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085&open=shroud_of_the_avatar:_forsaken_virtues__digital_

Here, and maybe i'm misunderstanding. You have played more then I have and are more familiar with the state of the game so you might have a better idea what is going.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seriously, this game sucks. I get that it's early access, but there is zero indication that the final release will be any better. It is not fun to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ultima Online was a terrible game but I have to give it credit for paving the way for the MMORPG genre. Plenty more really bad MMORPGs would come after it (read: all of them).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gildiss posted:

There was already a massive bomb present. The place was taken care of.

hahahah god drat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

it launched before star citizen though. +1 to lord brit

Do have to give credit where credit is due. That is true.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This made me check in on the status of Star Citizen as of today. Development begun in 2011, official launch of live 1.0 was to be in 2014, game is in alpha 3.2 currently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I saw on the official website that there is a trial version available now. I hate myself and am going to give it a try.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Status update on playing the trial: I killed an NPC called outskirts fence.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Steam player numbers are pretty accurate. I would be super weary of spending any money because I don't see Shroud of the Avatar's online server lasting more then a year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anyone have ingame footage? I can't believe this is real, this looks like a cheap unity project with assets out the rear end

That's because it literally is. The game was built in Unity and uses it's free assets. You can play the game for free and see yourself right now https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=69568

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

I watched a video of a dude playing for the first time.

What were they thinking with that JRPG style overworld? :chloe:

Yeah, I don't understand the overworld at all. The quality of this game would improve 10 fold if that was removed and the gameworld was seamless with no transitions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, Shroud of the Avatar has a offline version that lets you craft and have access to any of the super expensive cash shop items that you can only obtain with real money on the official online server. Making the online server kinda pointless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gynovore posted:

It pains me to say this, but it looks like Lord British had his 15 minutes of fame back in the 80's and has been coasting ever since.

Richard Garriot loving sucks as a game designer. That article kinda upsets me because he hasn't made a good game since Ultima VII. What arrogance. Making a bad kickstarter game is one thing, but I never realized what a total rear end in a top hat Garriot is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just keep checking this thread in the hopes of reading that the developer is closing its doors and shutting down the servers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want Electronic Arts to make a new Ultima game as a gently caress you to Garriot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come he didn't put a bunch of his windfall from ncsoft into the game?

He spent it all going into space.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

What are the subscription numbers for UO these days, anyways?

I imagine exactly zero or at least close. I can't believe EA still keeps Ultima Online going.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I just had to look it up and I can't believe its been 20 drat years! Holy poo poo.

Its F2P I should see how it runs on my Mac VM lol

I hadn't realized Ultima Online was free to play now. I thought it still required a subscription, at least up until the end of last year it still required a subscription.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EA's other MMO, Dark Age of Camelot, is suppose to go free to play soonish. I have been waiting for that to happen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Very interested in Camelot Unchained but going to wait for full release. It'll be nice to have a game that is basically DAoC but with modern day mechanics and gameplay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Percelus posted:

project gorgon it's 40bux on steam

Waiting for this to be out of Early Access first, but it looks very promising and is a true Asheron's Call successor from what i've seen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The online servers and company will probably shut down early next year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Old school MMORPGs still have their playerbases and survive. Shroud of the Avatar won't because it's ran by incompetent idiots that got super greedy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really don't like a lot of the older established MMORPGs anymore, like Everquest 1 & 2, Lord of the Rings Online, and World of Warcraft because they are overloaded with expansion packs and content. It gets to be super overwhelming. I've been playing Dark Age of Camelot for this reason because the game is frozen at a level cap of 50 and hasn't had new content updates in years. It's been refreshing to play a more simple MMORPG.

I am looking forward to World of Warcraft classic for this reason. The level cap will be 60 and I like that a lot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

I thought they already brought classic servers back as wildstar

lol!

I wish Wildstar had turned out better. That could have been such a good MMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least with Shroud there is an offline mode, so you'll always be able to play the game. Keep in mind however that the next content update appears to be the last and the game is in need of a massive overhaul and redesign of all of its systems. So it is never going to be a good game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

Haha. Really?

Okay to be fair the developer claims to be working on a content update. Since the team is down to 15 members now no one has any hope of this being of any significance or actually making the game fun to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone playing Legends of Aria?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This game is so hot and fun to play the last post in 20 days was about a different game! So, is this hot mess still alive?

All rumors point to it being on life support. Just small updates coming out now to introduce new items on the cash shop to buy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like what Rift does now where the best way to level up is group activities in the open world. You're thrown into a 20 person raid and everyones stats are increased to that of a level 70, and you take on group quests and world bosses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh come on now, you can't possibly defend people who spent a lot of money on this stupid rear end game. The writing on the wall was there from the start that Shroud of the Avatar was going to be a poo poo show.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jabro posted:

Holy poo poo. This is getting dumb. You can make fun of people all you want but when you start going look at how right I was, no one listened but look how right I am then you become part of the joke.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chrysophylax posted:

Are people really hungering this badly for a new Ultima clone?

In all seriousness? No, not really. At least not enough people to crowd fund a new RPG to the point where it could be completed.