Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Problem description: My mouse cursor stutters badly during video playback both in browser and on VLC. The CPU load spikes whenever I move the mouse cursor during video playback in the browser (see image):

The peaks indicate I am moving the cursor and the troughs when I stop moving it. The video playback also stutters whether I move the mouse or not (but there doesn't appear to be any change in CPU load when it does this, only when I move the mouse as stated above).

Attempted fixes: I have formatted the PC twice now and reinstalled Windows -> Windows 8 and then Windows 10. Installed different video drivers, bought a new video card (went from Radeon 5850 -> R9 Nano). Bought a new mouse and installed the latest drivers and uninstalled the old ones (and just to be very sure formatted again after buying the new mouse). I ran the Intel diagnostic tool and there doesn't appear to be any problems with the CPU. I have run the Samsung Magician to see if there are any problem with the SSD. I have also toggled hardware acceleration on/of in browser and Catalyst Control Center. I have also tried different browsers. Temperatures of all hardware are excellent, my PC is completely dust free and is cooled by a 22cm fan and 4x14cm ones. I also updated the motherboard Firmware. I have tried running the mouse compatibility mode as well.

At all other times there are no problems with this PC. I game 20hrs a week a week or more and get the same mouse stutter if I have a youtube video playing in the background whilst I am doing anything on the PC.

Recent changes: None since I did all that above.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs:

Intel i5-4570 CPU
Antec 550W Earthwatts PSU
8GB Kingston RAM
512 GB Samsung mSATA SSD
ASRock > Z87E-ITX motherboard
R9 Nano

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

No idea what to try next. Someone suggested reapplying the thermal paste on the CPU but my CPU temp is super cool so no idea why that would work. I have also ordered a new CPU which is currently en route <- this was probably a waste of money but I can just flog it on ebay. Should I buy new RAM or motherboard?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What kind of RAM do you have (speed), and is it one or two sticks? If you aren't sure you can run CPU-Z and post the SPD tab. Do you have the latest BIOS?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Alereon posted:

What kind of RAM do you have (speed), and is it one or two sticks? If you aren't sure you can run CPU-Z and post the SPD tab. Do you have the latest BIOS?

Single stick of DDR3 1600

Yes, I have the latest BIOS.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Two main suggestions: First, do you have a gamer mouse with the USB poll rate jacked up to something ridiculous like 500Hz? Lower it to a more reasonable setting and CPU usage when you move the mouse will drop dramatically.

Second, I think installing a second RAM stick would really help performance. You're meant to install RAM in matched pairs, installing only a single stick cuts memory bandwidth in half, which would impact multi-tasking and video playback.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Alereon posted:

Two main suggestions: First, do you have a gamer mouse with the USB poll rate jacked up to something ridiculous like 500Hz? Lower it to a more reasonable setting and CPU usage when you move the mouse will drop dramatically.

Second, I think installing a second RAM stick would really help performance. You're meant to install RAM in matched pairs, installing only a single stick cuts memory bandwidth in half, which would impact multi-tasking and video playback.

I have a Microsoft Intellmous 3.0 (I have two and tried them both). I have also tried a Steelseries Rival 300.

I will buy another stick of RAM. I was always under the impression that dual channel was only useful if you were using an IGPU. Fingers crossed!

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 4, 2016

• Locked thread