Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
Problem description: I put together this build about 4-5 years ago, haven’t used my desktop in almost one year. Recently tried to use it and the computer no longer turns on: no OS page, no black/blue screen, nothing at all.
There’s a small light that turns on on the motherboard when the PC is plugged in, but since the computer does not get to POST, we believe the motherboard is what's causing the problem. Before buying a new MB, is there anything else that I should check to determine what else could be causing this issue?

Attempted fixes: We started by checking all the wiring, everything is properly plugged in. We tested the power supply with a paperclip and it still works fine: the fans start turning.

Recent changes: None at all, the computer has been sitting in a box for about 11 months.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: here’s my current build:

GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked
CPU: Intel i5 2500k Quad-Core w/ Cooler Master CPU Cooler
MB: Asus P8P67-M PRO (LGA 1155 - Micro ATX)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 Black Mid
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB SATA3 7200RPM 64M Cache
some SSD
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair 600 Watt w/ modular cables (Builder series I think)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

If the problem is the motherboard as suspected, I’m guessing the easiest and cheapest solution is simply to replace the MB with another compatible one. And anything that’s LGA 1155 / Micro ATX should be compatible with my current parts? The LGA 1155 socket seems sort of out-dated but I’m not looking to run any brand new games so I should be fine just replacing the motherboard and not upgrading my whole computer.

Are there any brands or models that I should avoid? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

MacDeuce fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some basic things you could try before getting another motherboard:

-Reseating the RAM and trying one stick individually.
-Disconnecting HDs and other SATA devices temporarily
-Different video card
-Different PSU

MacDeuce posted:

And anything that’s LGA 1155 / Micro ATX should be compatible with my current parts?

Yea, just know that if you get a different motherboard you'd have to reinstall the OS most likely.

• Locked thread