Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'll keep dreaming of the Wings of Light and the Reinforce Jr in HD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INA1j4S9wSU
I'd give up a lot to have that song in SRW as well. One day, my good goon. One day.

Here's my two cents on Cross Ange: I'm just waiting for how they'll handwave the mechs being able to operate in zero gravity and the pilots not dying from the vacuum of space due to the exposed cockpits and pilot suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, turns out that (x mechanic) is really talented and made adjustments to the robots!
Part of me hopes we get some elaborate cutscene a la Naze Naze Nadesico.

The other part hopes we get the Xabungle option, aka "Quickly, put these space suits on so you don't die, okaybye!"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit:

Is that really officially called the Crossbone Gundam X1 Kai Kai?
IIRC, the X-1 gets thrashed by Zabine, Seabook gets his scar on his face, and the X-1 gets upgraded to the X-1 Kai. Then when the X-3 gets totaled in the final battle with the Divinidad, Tobia inherits the X-1 Kai from Seabook (since he and Cecily want to retire and live the peaceful life of bakery owners) and adds the Peacock Smasher crossbow weapon and the fancy cloak. Thus, it gets renamed the X-1 Kai Kai. Because calling it the X-1 Kai2 wasn't cool or something, I guess. :shrug:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seeing Beecha and Elle on the Sub Orders list is leading me to believe we really are getting some ZZ plot in this game, as usually those two haven't shown up unless either ZZ plot is going on or they need to pad the pilot roster (see: Alpha 3 and MX).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I recently watched all of Tekkaman Blade, and I would pay an inordinate amount of money for that show to be given the full console SRW treatment.
The bigger question is, how much of that money would go to microphone/audio equipment insurance?

Willo567 posted:

Other than the creepy stuff in Zero, was it really that bad?
It's...okay. The creepy stuff is front-loaded, so once you get past those early chapters it improves a bit. The whole multiple realities concept gets handled a tad inconsistently, but it's not the worst thing ever made. It is equal parts weird and crazy, but unfortunately we're not going to see much of those things because Shin Mazinger Zero is an "Units Only" entry. Maybe they'll use a few character designs from the manga (Dr. Hell is the most likely candidate for this), but probably not much. Also, it features the incredibly buff Dr. Hell announcing his evil plans to the U.S. government while lifting the President over his head by said man's scrotum. So yeah.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I just want to hear Takehito Koyasu totally hamming it up, the screaming from Morikawa is an added bonus.
Fair enough.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I know this is kind of nitpicky, but I've been looking at the text of earlier games like Alpha 2 lately and noticing a whole lot of white text over white or mustard yellow background.

They haven't gotten much better in that regard.

I noticed that screenshot too. I guess they figured the time that Ruri's cutin is on-screen was short enough to not warrant some tweaks to make text viewable, like a black border around the letters.

But yeah, Banpresto does need to scale that habit back.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nages posted:

Well I guess that was shared hallucination I guess because I remember Arado having it but maybe that was what they used for it in the translation patch for J or something.
The J patch uses "Wall" for that spirit command. Most likely for character spacing reasons.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Ryusei is growing up. Soon he'll get a job, start wearing suits and never get unreasonably excited about anything.
I'm not sure I'll be ready for the day we get Admiral Ryusei Date.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

Honestly?

I could see it.
The fact that Ryusei hasn't grown out his sideburns to match hot-blooded super robot pilots is astounding.

Unless there's some very weird dress code regulations in the OG universe, wherein mustaches and mullets are fine, but mutton chops are a no-go.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Fine I guess I have to post it. This is from when there were a few, uh, compression issues.

And this is why zero gravity seizures are not to be taken lightly.

But in all seriousness, good luck with this project. I can only imagine the hassle of having to translate 4 unique routes and everything related to that nonsense. Godspeed, Hokuto.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

whichever game IBO debuts in, they need to bring back Layzner for it.
Honestly, I'd like to see IBO debut in something with a Macross representative. Mostly to see Mika and co. trying to understand how music can be as powerful a weapon as a giant railgun, but for totally different reasons.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, at least the FMP animations look improved compared to how they looked in Z3. Also, hot drat did they blow the budget on Kouji and Tetsuya's rides this time. :stare:

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

That was a pretty great PV but like, no ZZ in there at all? maaaan
You can see Beecha (in the Zeta Gundam for some reason) and Elle during the Extra Action abilities segment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ryoga posted:

Give us Captain Beecha already!
Who knows? Maybe you can swap Otto and Beecha around as the captain of the Nahel Argama (assuming it's in the game).

Actually, Yurika looks like she's in the Nadesico C in the trailer and not the Nadesico A, so if captain swapping is back, Captain Beecha may actually happen.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope you can kick Hathaway out of the Xi so I can give it to, I don't know, Beecha.
Nothing will stop me from giving the controls to Mondo. Nothing. :unsmigghh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CaptainRat posted:

Casts Accelerate.
Being an Accelbot is very useful. Shame that V doesn't have the squad system, though.

Unless there's a Djieh SE-R style secret again, which means we'd have to invest time into Beecha. Like, get him to Ace status and get him a bunch of extra kills on a random stage and suddenly, you get Penelope as a reward.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SRW V footage from the Taipei game show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmUyqoxOfY

Seems we're going back to six spirit commands for most pilots, although two of the Yamato's sub-pilots also had six slots while one had only four.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

So if OGS ever gets a fourth Space Noah carrier it'd probably be Kogane? I didn't know the names kept going after the 3 we have.
All we know regarding the Space Noah line is that the 4th and 6th ships (but no mention of the 5th ship, oddly enough) of the line are being constructed on the moon at the start of OG2, with no names given for the ships. Kogane would be a logical direction they'd go for a name, but we'll see if anything further from the Space Noah line even gets completed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

Any other advice?
If this is your first foray into the older games, prepare for range 1 attacks to be the most powerful weapons you have. Conversely, prepare for any attack from range 2 and upward to have a damage penalty applied to it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Time for my weekly "god, I wish we got more Neo style games, gently caress you OE" post.
If you keep the dream alive, it may happen!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I recently started playing SRW J, does anyone have much in the way of tips and advice? For example, is Granteed actually decent compared to its somewhat anemic showing in Moon Dwellers? Is this one of the ones where mechs that straddle the super/real divide (G Gundam, Coustwell) are hideously powerful, adequate, or under performers?
There is a bug with a unit being upgraded to a different robot that can kind of be hilariously game breaking, depending on what you do. The following units all have 2 parts slots: Layzner, Mazinger Z, Yuu Brain (this one has 3 slots like all other Brains, however), and Zeorymer. Now, each of these has an upgraded form (Layzner Mk.II, Mazinkaiser, Nelly Brain and Great Zeorymer) that only has one less part slot than their base form. The bug is that while you'll get back the extra part when these units upgrade, the part effects will remain on the unit that lost the equip slot. For example, you could slap an Apogee Motor (+1 movement, +5 mobility) and Solar Panel (10% EN Regen) on Mazinger Z and when it upgrades to Mazinkaiser, it will still have the bonus of whatever is in the second parts slot. In this case, Mazinkaiser will have 10% EN Regen right out of the box because while Mazinger Z was removed from the game with the Solar Panel equipped in the second parts slot, all of Z's data in the game files carried over to Mazinkaiser including equipped parts. Now, the effects won't show up in the unit information screen unless you know what the base stats were beforehand, so keep that in mind.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Wow I had no idea of any of this. I should replay J (again).
Yeah, the only reason I found out about it was when I left a Flight Unit (or whatever its called in J) on Mazinger Z to keep it up to speed with the rest of the team. Then, Mazinkaiser returned from its route split and was flying on its own (as the Kaiser doesn't get flight capability until it gets the Scrander), even though I hadn't put a flight part on it. Some testing later, and I found out the other units mentioned.

The upgrades are meant to replace the base units completely in the game code and put the brand new unit's data in. My guess is that the bug is tied to how the game's code stores information and when those 4 upgrade, it doesn't completely wipe the slate clean, thus the now removed extra part slot's effects get left behind.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 1, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Since we're talking Gundam...

Boo this man.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You have nobody to blame but yourself.
Something something mistakes of youth. :negative:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IthilionTheBrave posted:

That sounds like it could get pretty ridiculous if you play your cards right and put the right part in. I've found Mazinger to be kinda EN hungry so far, so slotting in a Solar Panel before Mazinkaiser comes into the scene sounds pretty appealing. Then again, so does +Movement.

I know this is the only post I'm directly responding to, but I still want to thank everyone for the advice and info, it's been a great to know and I'm looking forward to watching Granteed wreck more poo poo up. It's animations and tankiness feel much more satisfying than Coustwell did when I first started playing. I'm not far in, but now it feels like my biggest concerns will be keeping the Nadesico and Granteed from out leveling everyone else by a crazy margin due to mooks mobbing them.
Once the Kaiser gets the Scrander upgrade, the movement issues will be somewhat remedied since it can fly and not have to worry about being slow. Out of all those units, Mazinger definitely is going to bleed EN the most, since Yuu/Nelly Brain gets EN Regen S (aka, 10% or the equivalent of equipping a Solar Panel) and Zeorymer is going to start out with EN Regen L (which is 30% regen; yes, this unit's super broken before its secret upgrade) so it doesn't need an extra 10% boost. Layzner is only really going to need EN for V-Max/V-Maximum (and its MAPW versions) and it gets these attacks later on in the game, so it can coast by without needing EN Regen right away.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Adding onto this, this is a game with the most broken battleship in the franchise. Put all your megaboosters onto the Nadesico and get used to just loading everyone into it at the start of every map. Low movement ceases to be an issue when you can have an invincible godship moving 17 spaces a turn to do your moving for you. Just make sure you keep your slower units in movement range of the ship in case you suddenly need to get across the map and you're golden.

Also doesn't Drive work on everyone inside a battleship? I remember that being a thing in one of the games, at least...
I think Rouse did that at one point, but I cannot recall what game(s) applied that effect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

...how the hell did I mix up Rouse with Drive
At least you got the right category of spirit commands. You could have confused Rouse for say, Hope or Alignment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

L played SEED mostly straight except Dearka of all people has a talk with Shinn and Shinn and Kira end up resolving issues like reasonable people instead of not.
L also lets the Minerva crew know about why the Archangel acts the way it does, such as Waltfeld revealing the whole "Super Coordinator" bit about Kira and explaining the attempted assassination of Lacus. It also had everyone in the SEED Destiny cast (except Rey) rejecting the Destiny Plan outright instead of going along with it.

Dr Pepper posted:

Also K had the whole plagiarism mess which probably doesn't help it's standing.

(The final boss of K's theme is straight up Magus' theme from Chrono Trigger and other one of the map themes ripped off Lufia II)
And a reused map theme from W that's also in K is "Orc 02" from Warcraft 2.

Oddly enough, Banpresto's apology for Kennosuke Suemura's plagiarism only addressed the Lufia and Chrono Trigger music. You'd think with how big WoW was at the time that Blizzard would have piped up and said something, but they didn't.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

I always thought it funny that K is the one that gets all the poo poo for plagiarizing music, when it was much more blatant in Neo since they used Red Fraction as one of the protagonists themes, rather than just map themes.
I think the difference is that with Sword of Justice's case, the ripoff is not immediately recognizable and Black Lagoon ain't exactly a popular manga/anime series to raise concern.

Whereas K plagiarized music from two very well known JRPGs that a lot of people remember fondly and are also tracks that stand out, especially in the case of "The One Who Will Save The Earth" (or whatever it's called this week, I've seen like 5 different names for this track, good lord) as that track plays multiple times in K.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Man that's embarrassing. Guess whoever did that is blacklisted.
From what I've heard, Kennosuke Suemura has not produced anything since 2009. So yes, it is pretty much safe to assume he's been blacklisted.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

Isn't that the Nadesico game that was supposed to have explained everything about Prince of Darkness?
That one's called The Blank of Three Years. Which only explains like a few things (IIRC, it where Harry gets introduced) about what happens in Prince of Darkness. Everything else setting up PoD apparently comes from staff interviews and drama CD booklets/other printed media, not that game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nice to hear Silent Voice come back, same with Ignited. Also, was that some weird MSV of the Asshimar that Hathaway fought?

Inferno-sama posted:

Wow, everyone's been playing for so long. I only started playing SRW about 8 years ago, and even then it was really just roms. First one I bought was Z2, if only for Gurren Lagann.
I started with the first OG games on GBA, then stumbled through Alpha 2 and Alpha Gaiden soon afterwards. I think the only game I have never finished was Impact because goddamn that thing was a slog.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

That was the Anksha from Gundam Unicorn.
I completely forgot that was in Unicorn at all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I like how Berah/Cecily actually resembles her F91 self and not whatever the hell happened in the Crossbone manga.

(Not my image)
They did that for Alpha 2 as well; have Seabook, Cecily and Zabine all resemble their F91 versions, while everyone else was cribbed from Crossbone.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yesssss, to the bench Hathaway.
And now watch him be forced deployed for plot reasons constantly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

Oh hey, Tetsuya pulled a D-Boy
He broke a microphone by yelling loudly?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, he is what prompted the conversation and everyone thinks he is a little weird.
Well yeah, Setsuna has a history of being abusive towards his lover. I'd be wary of the guy as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Since ACES was asking about them, have some Fat Bottomed Girls Gundams, buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9GnUh7JE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9EPD3IqwgA

Penelope is the second video.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Bah, you think so little of me, like I couldn't recognize those glorious spiky sideburns. :colbert:

...God, I hope it isn't secret locked. I'd hate to gently caress up getting it.
My money is on the usual "get pilot to X kill amounts, take route C instead of D, and then convince enemy pilot with aforementioned allied pilot" recruitment method.

Although, the fact that the playable version video has come out so quickly makes me think that Rean/Lean/however the game spells his name may just join automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bless this game. :allears:

• Locked thread