Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Most Recent Video:
The Hospital (with JossiRossi) (Uncut)

:frogsiren:In case this wasn't immediately obvious, NO SPOILERS.:frogsiren:

What?
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is a prologue chapter for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and also serves as a relatively short standalone game. It takes place nine years before the events of The Phantom Pain, and picks up not long after the ending of Peace Walker. In it, we encounter our new primary antagonist while on a mission to rescue a spy and a child soldier from torture and imprisonment. It notably introduces Keifer Sutherland as the voice of Big Boss, and establishes the darker tone and motivations seen in The Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes did receive mixed criticism for its length and price when it released in March 2014 (December for PC), and some reviewers took issue with its changes to the series' gameplay loop. Compared to prior games, MGS5 as a whole introduced a more action-oriented control scheme, increased the fluidity of the movement, and (in the opinion of some players) shifted the focus too far away from stealth as a core gameplay mechanic.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is, potentially, the final Metal Gear Solid game. Released in September 2015 for almost every non-Nintendo, non-mobile platform, The Phantom Pain attempts to close the holes left by 28 years of games. In particular, it focuses on patching up the dissonance between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker's depiction of a mostly heroic Big Boss and his villainous depiction in 1987's Metal Gear. In typical Metal Gear Solid fashion, the gameplay is also given a facelift compared to prior games, and for the first time ever players control Snake in an open world environment. This causes some constraints- the series' famously solid level design and pacing are thrown off somewhat by the player's newfound freedom- but it also introduces a vast array of new tactical options and diversions. With two massive maps littered with collectables and enemy bases, The Phantom Pain more than makes up for the lack of tightly controlled experiences.

Along with its open world, The Phantom Pain expands the soldier recruitment that originated in Portable Ops and was made popular by Peace Walker. The Fulton Ballon system makes a triumphant return as the most important gadget in Snake's inventory, and in addition to capturing KO'd enemy soldiers, Snake can upgrade the balloons to steal gun emplacements, mortars, jeeps, and even tanks and shipping containers. In addition, Snake can extract animals from out in the open world, from sheep and goats to bears and wolves. These will be sent to Mother Base for safety, away from the dangers of the battlefield, and can be visited at any time.

Speaking of Mother Base, the base-building and research aspects of Peace Walker are back in force. The rebuilt Mother Base starts small, but can become a powerful, sprawling megastructure in the Seychelles. Through soldier recruitment, the player gains the ability to invest resources (a first in the series) and GMP (returning from Peace Walker) into building new Mother Base platforms, upgrading gear, developing new weapons, and improving aspects such as base defenses and the performance of the helicopter that shuttles players between landing zones.

Also new to the series is the "Buddy" system, wherein Snake can recruit four different partners to accompany him to the battlefield. Each brings their own strengths and skills to the fight, and upgrades can be researched for them as they grow closer and more loyal to Snake. Players begin the game with access to only one buddy, a horse (named D-Horse), who provides them with essential transportation across the front lines of the Soviet-Afghan war.

While all of these ambitious developments may have led to a game that was bloated and troublesome to play, the systems in Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain all work together well (even if some aren't fleshed out as much as had been hoped). Sadly, the game is undeniably unfinished- with only two major chapters out of the three that were planned, and a massive plot thread left dangling, The Phantom Pain is forever incomplete. Troubled relations between Konami and Kojima Productions are the likely culprit here, as (notably) the cover of the game features no sign of Kojima's name and rumors are plentiful that things broke down between him and upper management in the late stages of The Phantom Pain's development. These rumors would appear to be substantiated by Kojima's prompt departure from the company in December of 2015, as well as statements made by those who worked with him on The Phantom Pain and the cancelled Silent Hills. Regardless, what exists in The Phantom Pain is a fantastic experience, even with the glaring omission of the third chapter.

How?
This will be a fully video LP. All videos that feature cutscenes will come in two flavors: audio edited (so that you can hear the cutscenes instead of me and whoever talking) and audio unedited. There will also be videos exclusively to listen to the audio tapes. In addition, there will be multiple videos per mission showing off at the least a nonlethal, stealth-focused run of the mission, and a more action-focused "loud" version. For some missions that have more interesting methods of completion, there will probably be more videos to show them off. I am not going for S-ranks on every mission, nor do I expect to be able to perfectly stealth every single mission (I will be using reflex mode!) because I am not an expert at MGS, just a big fan.

Expect at least two videos a week, one on Sunday and one on Wednesday. If my backlog gets substantial enough, I'll move to uploading more.

Because MGS5: features a tremendous number of side missions, I plan on streaming the vast majority of them, as well as occasional streams just running around collecting soldiers or doing gimmicky mission attempts. I will be putting the more important or interesting side missions into "main series" videos, and every stream will be recorded and uploaded as normal. (Note: if for some reason the streaming plan doesn't work, for any reason including internet trouble and my computer being too poo poo to stream regularly, I'll figure out an alternative plan.)

Who?

I'm Fridurmus, or Sean. I used to go by Chocolate Donuts around here. Previous LPs include Mafia II, Sleeping Dogs, and Petz Horsez 2.

My buddy in the first set of videos, at least, is JossiRossi or James. He is exactly as much of a dick to me as I deserve and I strongly appreciate him putting up with my poo poo. He previously has participated in many of my dumb videos and he's also putting together an LP of Hard Reset Redux, and now that this is in my OP I can force him to follow through with it.

Where?

Video 0: Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes (with JossiRossi!)
Video 0: Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes (Uncut) (with JossiRossi!)
Video 1: The Hospital (with JossiRossi!)
Video 1: The Hospital (Uncut) (with [b]JossiRossi!)

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Dramatis Personae

John/Jack, AKA "Naked" Snake, "Big Boss", "Venom" Snake, "Punished" Snake, and "Ahab"
The most famous soldier in history. Big Boss earned his best-known name in 1964 when, under the orders of the United States military, he assassinated his former mentor The Boss on a mission to Russia known as the Operation Snake Eater. Though he prevented an international nuclear war in the process, the incident left him deeply scarred and distrustful of military command. He left the fledgling FOX unit and rejected his new title, continuing to operate under the name Naked Snake throughout the rest of the 1960s and largely avoiding his old unit and comrades.

In 1970, he was forced back into action when he was captured by the suddenly renegade FOX unit in San Hieronymo. After escaping from captivity with the aid of fellow prisoner and then-Green Beret Roy Campbell, Snake put together a rebellion and successfully defeated the FOX unit by turning their own soldiers against them. His charisma and legendary skill made him a natural leader, a trait that first came to light during the San Hieronymo incident but would become a hallmark of his future exploits. After defusing the situation in San Hieronymo, Snake returned to the United States to found the FOXHOUND unit with the goal of carrying on the legacy of the original special operations FOX unit.

While in the United States, Snake reconnected with his old commanding officer, codenamed Zero. Together with others from Operation Snake Eater including medical expert Para-Medic (AKA Dr. Clark), future DARPA chief Sigint (AKA Donald Anderson), and ex-GRU and CIA double agent Revolver Ocelot (AKA Adam), the two founded an organization known as The Patriots with the intention of carrying on the will of The Boss. Unfortunately, tensions arose when it became clear that Zero and Snake disagreed on the exact nature of The Boss's final words. Ultimately, when he discovered that Zero had authorized a program to clone him without his permission, Snake left The Patriots in disgust and disappeared.

In 1972, while working for the Colombian government, Snake fatefully captured and eventually befriended the strategist and guerrilla leader Kazuhira Miller. Miller's ideas of creating a private army for hire, a way to turn his mind for business and Snake's military expertise and leadership into an income stream, led Snake to create his infamous Militaires Sans Frontičres (Soldiers Without Borders, or MSF). With Miller as his second-in-command managing the business angle of MSF, Snake set about recruiting a small but fiercely loyal group of soldiers.

The newly founded MSF roamed around Latin America and South America for two years before finally arriving in Costa Rica. While there, Miller received an urgent request for MSF's services from undercover KGB agent Vladimir Zadornov and a young student named Pacifica Ocean. Zadornov, posing as a professor named Ramón Gálvez Mena, offered Miller and Snake a substantial amount of money and the use of an offshore oil platform in exchange for their assistance in dealing with a CIA-backed force that had invaded specific parts of the country. Zadornov managed to convince Snake to take on the contract, and the first incarnation of Mother Base was born.

While carrying out operations in Costa Rica, Snake came into contact with several influential members of the CIA's team, including an expert in mechanized development named Huey Emmerich and an AI developer named Dr. Strangelove. Emmerich was one of the founding members of MSF's research and development unit, while Strangelove eventually joined MSF following the conclusion of Snake's mission. Together, the two developed a powerful weapon for MSF- Metal Gear ZEKE, a bipedal, nuclear-equipped battle tank controlled by an AI.

Through repeated escape attempts, Zadornov was able to distract MSF from the actions of Pacifica Ocean (aka Paz) as she modified ZEKE to allow human control. During his final diversion, Zadornov was killed by Snake, who then rushed onto the deck of Mother Base to discover that ZEKE had been commandeered by Paz. She revealed herself as an agent of Cipher, the organization that the Patriots had become, and offered Snake an ultimatum: join Cipher, or she would launch ZEKE's nuclear warhead at the United States and brand MSF as nuclear-equipped madmen in the process. Snake fought ZEKE on foot and eventually disabled the mech, forcing Paz to eject. In the process, Paz fell off the side of Mother Base and disappeared into the ocean, where MSF presumed her dead- until the events of Ground Zeroes...

Adamska, AKA "Adam", "Revolver Ocelot", and "Shalashaska"

The son of The Boss and her former squadmate The Sorrow, Ocelot grew up receiving preferential training from both the North American and Russian branches of a shadowy organization known as The Philosophers. Prior to Operation Snake Eater, Ocelot encountered Snake in Russia during the precursor Virtuous Mission and was not only defeated by him but humiliated. During that encounter, Snake remarked that Ocelot's shooting technique was better suited to revolvers, sparking a decades-long obsession with both the man and the firearms. Throughout the events of Operation Snake Eater, he provided Snake with assistance from afar, while not hesitating to take multiple opportunities to pridefully fight him. Ocelot eventually disappeared when he jumped from Snake's escape vehicle at the end of Operation Snake Eater, but kept in touch with the CIA and, in particular, with Zero. When Zero and Snake founded the Patriots, Ocelot took the chance to sign up.

Though he's older and wiser in Metal Gear Solid 5, Ocelot still has an immense amount of respect for Snake. He works tirelessly to train the soldiers of Mother Base, and provides support to Snake in (almost) any way he can. Without his efforts, Snake would be dead in Cyprus, and Kazuhira Miller would be dead in Afghanistan. But Ocelot has a strong reputation as a double agent, and his motives are rarely as they seem. Is he truly trustworthy, or is there some larger goal he has his eye on?

Kazuhira Miller, AKA "Kaz", "McDonnell Benedict Miller", and "Master Miller"

Kazuhira Miller was the son of an American serviceman and a Japanese prostitute, conceived following World War II. Though he grew up in Japan, Kaz eventually found his father and moved to America, where he received an ivy-league education. He returned to Japan and served in the JSDF, but his military skills went unrewarded in the police-minded organization and he grew restless, eager to find an active battlefield. Upon his return to America in 1970, he found that his father had committed suicide, and he used what money he was left to begin traveling the world as a mercenary and womanizer.

Sheer luck brought Miller to take a job with Colombian rebels in 1972. Despite never having seen a day of combat, Miller was assigned a squad as a drill sergeant. While leading his men in the field, he was assaulted by government soldiers under the command of Big Boss. After watching half of his squad get taken out by Big Boss's men, Miller's inexperience caused him to flee, and he was eventually incapacitated after killing several of his attackers. Though Snake offered Miller the chance to surrender, Miller refused, claiming he preferred that Snake take his life in the Japanese ritual of harakiri. When Snake forced Miller to reveal his hands, he discovered that Miller had a grenade primed there in an attempt to kill them both. Through quick thinking, Snake kept the lever from discharging on the grenade, and Miller eventually fell unconscious from his wounds.

Snake was deeply impressed by Miller's spirit, and had him brought back to the government camp for recovery. Miller initially refused to join Snake's men, and was eventually allowed to escape into the jungle again, where he was once again chased down by Snake. During the fight that ensued, Snake managed to convince Miller of the futility of his position, and Miller reluctantly acknowledged Snake's strength before joining the mercenary group that would become MSF.

MSF, under the guidance of Snake and Miller, grew to become an internationally-recognized force. Through the Costa Rican incident, Miller took an administrative role at Mother Base, and spoke proudly of the strength and moneymaking might of the organization. Miller was on-base during the events of Ground Zeroes, and escaped in the same helicopter that carried Big Boss. In the years since, he's taken on any job he could find that might help him and the remaining ex-MSF soldiers protect the comatose Boss, a far cry from his old rivalry with the legendary soldier. Unfortunately, a job gone bad in Afghanistan has led to his capture by the Russian army- and the Russians aren't known for being gentle.

"Skull Face"

Not much is known about this Cipher commander. He heads the XOF unit, and seems to have a personal hatred for Zero. He was responsible for capturing and torturing Paz and Chico prior to the events of Ground Zeroes, and planned the attack on Mother Base (which he also personally oversaw). His face and head were horribly scarred in an unknown incident long before his involvement in Cipher. Why he wanted Big Boss dead, and why he harbors a hatred for Zero, nobody knows.

"Ishmael"

He helped Snake escape the XOF/Cipher assault on the Cyprus hospital, and claims to have been watching over him throughout his nine year coma. But his face and real name are a mystery, and he may have been just a phantom of Snake's mind. What the hell is this guy's deal?

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 10, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh man, this is going to be the greatest event in LP history since LP NecroVisioN

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I am really excited to participate in this LP of [INSERT GAME NAME HERE] by my good friend [INSERT FRIEND NAME HERE]. We will have a [INSERT ADJECTIVE PREDICTING QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE] time together!

Also, why did you have to call me out on starting a new Hard Reset game, whhhhyyy. Everyone will know my shame :(

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
I played through Ground Zeroes' story mission, started up Phantom Pain, but only got a couple missions in before I got distracted by other new games and never went back to finish what I started. I think part of why I never bothered to go back is because I refused to go lethal despite not having the patience for stealth because, dammit, it's a Metal Gear game and stealth is the way you're "supposed" to play it, right?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

jaydee864 posted:

I played through Ground Zeroes' story mission, started up Phantom Pain, but only got a couple missions in before I got distracted by other new games and never went back to finish what I started. I think part of why I never bothered to go back is because I refused to go lethal despite not having the patience for stealth because, dammit, it's a Metal Gear game and stealth is the way you're "supposed" to play it, right?

This game seems to have gone in a more Arcadey style than other MGS games. To play any other MGS you needed the patience of a saint because you would always get into lengthy codec calls and the like, and the levels were smaller. So, having to wait out an enemy for stealth purposes slotted into the experience a little more coherently. What I am seeing so far in MGSV is a much more fun looking experience, but one that spent more time on making lethal stuff more fun than it did on non-lethal alternatives.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

jaydee864 posted:

I understand the feeling.

What Rossi says is mostly correct, but the idea of lethal having a tremendous amount of options compared to non-lethal is a long-running one in MGS terms. None of the games have given you more options for nonlethality, and MGS1 had sequences that flat out didn't give you any options (notably, the part where you meet Meryl and the elevator both made you kill guards.) All of the games assume you're using lethal weapons in cutscenes, and MGS4 dangles the M4 and its customization options in front of you like a toy while you're left with playboys, stun grenades, CQC and the tranq guns (neither of which can be customized much!) At least 4 gave you a non-lethal shotgun option in the form of V-ring ammo, which was nice for not-killing bosses. The games reward you heavily for stealth and nonlethal runs, but they also do very little to incentivize it in-game. :v:

ANYWAY

:siren: Video 2: The Hospital (with JossiRossi) (Uncut) :siren:

The next set will be shorter than this, but I felt that cutting up the Hospital made it less intense somehow. We're moving into MGS5 proper, and dealing with one of the worst days of Snake's life. :v:

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
That certainly is a hell of an opening sequence. It's kind of hard to imagine anything else in the game being able to top that, so I'm looking forward to see if anything does.

Could you please turn the subtitles on, by the way? The game audio is pretty hard to hear compared to the commentary, I've got to turn my speakers way up to make out any of the dialog. Could just be my setup though.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Subtitles would be much appreciated in future videos, and all the audio is very quiet, like even maxing out my audio it is hard to hear.

Edit: I am specifically talking about the Uncut version, haven't watched the cut version so for all I know the audio is fine in those.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Hrm, we'll look into some solutions for the sound. Probably can't fix the existing videos too easily, but I have a few audio tricks we can pull if just adjusting levels won't quite cut it.

• Locked thread