Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

achillesforever6 posted:

Legally which means no more massive ancient civilizations with supernatural curses. Turns out humanity is protected from finding these supernatural threats due to the legal system.

There are lawyers involved. The kind of lawyers with sharkskin briefcases and smiles made of stolen teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

achillesforever6 posted:

Legally which means no more massive ancient civilizations with supernatural curses. Turns out humanity is protected from finding these supernatural threats due to the legal system.

Turns out doing it legally also protects a lot of the poo poo from being destroyed by ancient traps and rushing to solve puzzles. And the ancient elevators always work..but not the local ones in more modern buildings.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

To me the big ~*~ludonarrative dissonance~*~ in the games isn't the killing, it's the whole recurring theme about how treasure hunting is dangerous and Nate could die. Because in the gameplay, he literally can't. Just about every jump he does is insanely dangerous and would probably kill someone who wasn't the PC of an shooter-platformer, but in the game they're all just simple navigational obstacles. The peak of this for me is in the chapter where you're heading back to the plane and Nate has decided he no longer wants to risk his life on this, and then a few minutes later, with everyone's full cooperation and consent, makes a fifteen foot leap over a chasm to grab the other edge by the skin of his teeth. For someone actually concerned about safety, it would be insane, but the game never treats it as anything but Nate's normal way of moving about.

So it creates this weird situation where in the actual plot of the game Nate is a mortal human being who we should empathize with his wife's concern for his safety, while in gameplay he's Superman and will never miss a jump or be killed in a gunfight unless the cutscenes dictate it. And unlike the killing thing, that part isn't optional.

Nate can't die doing his dangerous stunts (minus the player loving up and restarting from a checkpoint) because the game ends there. This critique applies to literally every action game in which the player character isn't killed off midway through.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

chitoryu12 posted:

Nate can't die doing his dangerous stunts (minus the player loving up and restarting from a checkpoint) because the game ends there. This critique applies to literally every action game in which the player character isn't killed off midway through.
Right, but most of them don't make a major running theme of everyone in the game being concerned that the main character will die. Like, Elena's entire emotional arc in this game is based around the idea that everything Nate does in the pursuit of treasure is risking his life. From the player's perspective, though, all that perilous climbing is a straightforward way of getting from point A to point B, and the most dangerous moments in character are for us amusing little cutscenes where Nate shouts "Oh crap!"

I'm not saying this is a game killer or anything - I think I enjoy UC4 most of all the series, in fact - it's just something that stuck out to me. Particularly in the last video, where he has a heart to heart with Elena about not risking his life and then immediately makes a dozen death-defying stunts that a normal man would die trying any one of.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I don't think this game could have ended more perfectly for me (and as a capstone to the series, the entire game in general). There's enough grimdark out there and there's enough "huh, really makes you think :crossarms:" out there too that I'm genuinely glad that all the good guys got a happy ending and someone got paid to animate a dogs jowl squidging up.

After Neil Druckmann took over I was worried it was because they wanted to take things in a much darker direction after the success of The Last of Us. That we'd end up with half the cast dead by the end to provide the sacrifice and suffering that any serious modern game has to have. But instead, the thread of influence seems to mostly be in adding a lot of fairly 3 dimensional humanity to characters in extraordinary situations.

I'm also glad that they went to great lengths to close out Nate's story long term so that fingers crossed there shouldn't be a sequel that ruins all the character development this game worked hard for.

Thanks Chip and Ironicus, stellar work as ever.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Right, but most of them don't make a major running theme of everyone in the game being concerned that the main character will die. Like, Elena's entire emotional arc in this game is based around the idea that everything Nate does in the pursuit of treasure is risking his life. From the player's perspective, though, all that perilous climbing is a straightforward way of getting from point A to point B, and the most dangerous moments in character are for us amusing little cutscenes where Nate shouts "Oh crap!"

I'm not saying this is a game killer or anything - I think I enjoy UC4 most of all the series, in fact - it's just something that stuck out to me. Particularly in the last video, where he has a heart to heart with Elena about not risking his life and then immediately makes a dozen death-defying stunts that a normal man would die trying any one of.

Her problem wasn't that Nate was risking his life, it was because he was doing it behind her back and lying to her. They were supposed to be partners and he broke her trust. In the last video she even admits to missing the adventure herself. That and there's a big difference between risking your life for treasure and risking your life for family.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
You might have learned over the years that I'm a big fan of the wild poo poo that can come from running with dissonance. On that note; my wife and I launched a new podcast today!

SEX ARCHIE

Sex Archie is a recap-and-react podcast about the best thing on TV right now: Riverdale. Riverdale is a teen melodrama on the CW based on the characters of Archie comics. It's a hell of a ride, and we're here to be your guide. Even though the first episode is only a few hours old, I've already heard from people saying they enjoyed it and follow along perfectly well despite not watching the show.

Episode 1: Archie got hot Where we meet the cast and introduce the sex, lies, and murder that lie just beneath the surface of this small, sleepy town
Episode 2: #RiverdaleStrong Where we get deep into Cheryl Blossom (but not as deep as her brother did) and everyone learns something about themselves
Episode 3: #JusticeForEthel Where vengeance comes Canadian-style and the truth taste likes cherries and hot fudge
RSS

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

General Ironicus posted:

You might have learned over the years that I'm a big fan of the wild poo poo that can come from running with dissonance. On that note; my wife and I launched a new podcast today!

SEX ARCHIE

Sex Archie is a recap-and-react podcast about the best thing on TV right now: Riverdale. Riverdale is a teen melodrama on the CW based on the characters of Archie comics. It's a hell of a ride, and we're here to be your guide. Even though the first episode is only a few hours old, I've already heard from people saying they enjoyed it and follow along perfectly well despite not watching the show.

Episode 1: Archie got hot Where we meet the cast and introduce the sex, lies, and murder that lie just beneath the surface of this small, sleepy town
Episode 2: #RiverdaleStrong Where we get deep into Cheryl Blossom (but not as deep as her brother did) and everyone learns something about themselves
Episode 3: #JusticeForEthel Where vengeance comes Canadian-style and the truth taste likes cherries and hot fudge
RSS

i know just who to send this to

and thanks for the lp

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alternate show title: Tween Peaks

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

General Ironicus posted:

SEX ARCHIE

RSS

Ironicus, no one else I know remembers Archie comics at all. I'm so following this to hear how other people are taking Riverdale.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

General Ironicus posted:

Following recap-and-react podcasts without actually watching the show in question can be surprisingly entertaining. I've been enjoying the Sailor Business podcast for years despite never watching Sailor Moon. Haven't watched Riverdale but I'll check this out!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I really liked the epilogue and the great thing about it is that it could also be seen as Naughty Dog's (and maybe even games in general) maturing over the years. Considering the first Uncharted was a pretty straightforward action adventure with rudimentary cover shooty mechanics, the series has improved over time, culminating in Thief's End. The gameplay hasn't changed much: it's still about shooting nameless goons in the face and climbing highlighted cliff faces. I guess ND has taken what they have done well for years and concentrated on polishing that rather than inventing the wheel again. At least doing one tried-and-true thing really well let's them explore other areas such as narrative and how to build it through both gameplay environments and pacing thrilling action sequences with quiet story bits.

Uncharted 4 is a really fun shooter game as well as a narrative epilogue to a great series. ND's self-congratulating feels justified considering what a huge undertaking their games are. I loved every single one of those "level designer jerking off" vistas, there's so much skill and attention poured into this game.

Uncharted 4 owns bones and the reason I even bought the game (and loved it!) was you guys' LP series. Thanks for the ride, that was a really good one.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

drat it, now I want to watch Riverdale

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
As I think I mentioned towards the middle of the LP, this games epilogue made me cry. Its so wonderful. Especially the dog.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Wow, I actually guessed the no supernatural elements ending. But not the sword fight with Rafe. I still liked it and your LP guys, keep up the good work.

Also for the whole argument about ludo-narrative dissonance, you guys realize the camera is floating over and behind Nate for the climbing and shooting bits. For most of the character interactions and dialogue the camera is in front of them. I think that helps me at least, ignore the whole argument.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I CAN'T GET ENOUGH AUTOMATIC GUNFIRE

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

Episode 20: The St Valentine's Day Massacre
Happy Valentine's Day! In this holiday special, Alaina talks about the most romantic thing she knows: gruesome murder. How are movie gangsters different from the real guys? Why can't rival operations just get along? Who actually did the dang thing, anyway?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The killing and big action setpieces in the games are actually Nate's flourishes while recounting his adventures. At most he killed each big villain per game and monsters. That's why everything turns out so cheerful for Nate and co.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/naughty_dog_celebrates_valentines_day_2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Won't you be mine?
Love, Thomas Tew.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Happy Saint Valentines Day!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Me, after going through your post.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No Headmaster Sully?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

No talbot?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Who?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Me, after going through your post.

Reading that post made me sick.*

*parvis magna

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Marlowe's sidekick in 3

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Not even a Tenzin!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
No Jeff either

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

morallyobjected posted:

No Jeff either

Wrestle with Jeff, prepare for death.

Anyhow, the one thing that bugs me about these games isn't the mas murder, it isn't the fact that Nathan can fling himself around like the Hulk and must have adamantium bones, it's the durability of the crap they find. They really just don't build 'em like they used to. Human skeletons included.

Actually, maybe that is Nathan's secret. He happens to be a throwback to these humans who were so sturdy their skeletons are intact 100s of years later.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

sleepy.eyes posted:

Wrestle with Jeff, prepare for death.

Anyhow, the one thing that bugs me about these games isn't the mas murder, it isn't the fact that Nathan can fling himself around like the Hulk and must have adamantium bones, it's the durability of the crap they find. They really just don't build 'em like they used to. Human skeletons included.

Actually, maybe that is Nathan's secret. He happens to be a throwback to these humans who were so sturdy their skeletons are intact 100s of years later.

I understand the game logic but especially in the last chapter where you're spiking walls, I kept thinking "his shoulder would be loving dislocated." Nathan Drake in the epilogue should be like Bruce Wayne in Dark Knight Rises.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder how much farther we'll backslide about complaining about game mechanics now. Maybe next we'll have someone saying how it's bullshit that dynamite doesn't reduce people into meat chunks. Ooh, or how about how healing from not taking more damage works up to a point but that point is long before bullet wounds!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 15, 2017

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

To be clear, I don't care that Nathan Drake is apparently impervious. I think it's fun. I just had a very visceral reaction to those particular jumps. I also get that weird feeling in my stomach from some of the vistas, like a "step away from the edge, you're making me nervous" sort of feeling.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

dismas posted:

To be clear, I don't care that Nathan Drake is apparently impervious. I think it's fun. I just had a very visceral reaction to those particular jumps. I also get that weird feeling in my stomach from some of the vistas, like a "step away from the edge, you're making me nervous" sort of feeling.

Thank God I am not the only one that gets twitchy about giant drops in games.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder how much farther we'll backslide about complaining about game mechanics now. Maybe next we'll have someone saying how it's bullshit that dynamite doesn't reduce people into meat chunks. Ooh, or how about how healing from not taking more damage works up to a point but that point is long before bullet wounds!

Imagine being this much of a giant baby about other people's observations and opinions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Imagine being this much of a giant baby about other people's observations and opinions.

Imagine being so loving sick of people pointing out the blatantly obvious unrealistic parts of a video game. Like Chris Redfield punching a boulder into lava.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine being so loving sick of people pointing out the blatantly obvious unrealistic parts of a video game. Like Chris Redfield punching a boulder into lava.

Sounds like a miserable existence so i'll pass, thanks

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
we all get that Uncharted's realism makes the video game parts of it stand out a bit more (in the same way that no one complains about how Sabin can suplex a train or Mario can jump like five times his own height)

that doesn't make it interesting to point out in and of itself though like it's a fascinating criticism

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 15, 2017

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Chip Cheezum posted:

Go make some popcorn or something, because we've hit the end of Uncharted 4, and it's a looooong episode. There are a few points where I could have cut it, but it didn't feel right!

Thank you so much for this LP, Chip and Ironicus! (And as always, apologies that I wasn't more active in it) What a great game, I'm glad you shared it with the last all of us... the ending would totally make my dad cry. Gotta get him to watch it!

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Chip, if you're sure about not playing multiplayer, you should at least show off the best thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

TheLoser posted:

Chip, if you're sure about not playing multiplayer, you should at least show off the best thing about it.

Truly beautiful.

• Locked thread