Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When they drop from the ladder the gate says Saint Francis -- 1016. Didn't pull up anyplace obvious with that address, but there was a St Francis Boys Home in England that was home to horrific child abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Apep727 posted:

I'll admit, I won't be surprised if Nathan's real surname isn't Drake, and that he has - at best - a tenuous tie to Sir Francis from his mother's side. I always got the feeling it was just a story he made up, and his fascination with treasure hunting and explorers/adventurers seems to support it.

From the disciplinary form, his last name begins with an M.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

He's clearly a descendant of Captain John Marchant, who accompanied Sir Francis Drake on several expeditions! :pseudo:

(I hope that's not an actual plot point in this game or I'll look very silly)

I'm guessing Christopher Marlowe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait till we get to the playground part and can shoot some B-ball outside of the school.

Then this lunk of a guy who didn't like me no more, took away my book and called my mom a whore. I got in one little fight and the nun got pissed and said "we're throwin' you back on the streets and you're not gonna be missed."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

biosterous posted:

It's nice to see a knockoff version of Set - fun game, doesn't get enough notice.

Fun (to me) fact, the folks who invented that game were neighbors of my hometown rabbi.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rumda posted:

I can never play this game because my friend who owns it is way too good at it.

We played it all the time in college and some people got VERY competitive. One would grab for sets claws-out, and spent all her free time studying it to get faster.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And that's the end of Sam. Nobody in a video game/movie has survived something like that. All the trailer shots of him in later parts of the game were just a hoax, and his presence in the opening boat fight scene was a hallucination.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Apep727 posted:

Well, according to Wikipedia, Panama was part of the Viceroyality of Peru until 1821, so :shrug:

Also, are you really expect historical accuracy from a series where the first game included a Nazi submarine somehow having ended up at the top of a waterfall in South America?

They covered that, it came from upriver.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'll totally agree that The Line was heavy-handed, but it was great in spite and in part because of that. "Do you feel like a hero yet?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

E4C85D38 posted:

I love that they actually force you to use the directional buttons for that segment, it really brought back some interesting memories.

I believe the proper term is "flashbacks."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Can you guys survive the next Metal Gear?

I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that. It could be dumb, or it could be Revengance level "so self-indulgently dumb it loops back around to awesome". Time will tell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They made the Uncharted games, and are currently in lawsuits with Drake et all for "coincidences that just keep getting weirder".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Astro Ambulance posted:

i love this joke because it is all based on c&i mishearing a line

What is it supposed to be?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tippis posted:

I'm very afraid to even ask, because I know already that it'll be so stupid that I'll lose brain cells, but…

#1?

The Real Ghostbusters, I assume.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zuzie posted:

What on earth is with the trend of "Saving Christmas" anyway? You never really see that kind of thing with other holidays.

There's a kids' book where a tiny girl (Thumbelina size, not just short) saves Hanukkah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm hoping the very next scene is "I love you, but you're an idiot. Let's go get that treasure."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

We've been live for almost 12 hours, raised over 17 thousand, and boy are my Gex tired. Please come by and join the fun!

I KNEW I was forgetting something today! Thanks for the reminder.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tashilicious posted:

Okay. The one singular thing that has most impressed me by far, graphically, is the incredibly complex shadows they have. I only realised exactly how complex when they were in the vents. You can see bright areas of reflections on the vents being blotted out by a shadow, but because there are so many light sources, the shadow is still very blurred and negligible dimming of the surface, in what appears to be real time, on all four of the sides of the vents.

:psyduck:

Where they admired the spotlight on the flowers, it looked like Drake was actually illuminated by colored light reflecting off of them. So subtle I may have imagined it, but impressive if so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tashilicious posted:

And also, as a native French speaking (though from the godless new france and not super amazing home country of napoleon and the metric system), his accent is not HORRENDOUS, but it is very noticeable and anyone with a passing familiarity with the language can tell he's an anglo, probably a brit.

Quebecer? I'm told that accent sounds as odd to True French as the English one does to Americans.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tashilicious posted:

My paternal grandmother went to Paris once with my mom, and she was trying to order "a tarte au poire" (peach pie/cobbler). Now, she is very heavily Montrealer, and her R's tend to roll a fair bit, so when you have R's close like that it can sort of muddy your phrase.

However, the parisian waiter literally kept going "I do not understand your silly accent" to her. So it was a stream of "Une tarrrrte au poirrre" and "Quoi" in a vicious cycle of french and parisian smug that nearly cratered france.

Impressive. I took French in high school and spent a couple of weeks there so naturally I assumed I was pretty good at it. Tried to show off to a French guy at summer camp and he was almost physically hurt by how bad my accent was. Basically the only difference between me and the game's anecdote is I didn't break anyone's kneecaps. And of course that was back when I was actively using the language. These days I just try to keep "I'm sorry, my French is very bad, it's been [X] years since I've used it" memorised should the need to communicate ever show up.

Man, now I want to hunt down an old commercial from the 90s or early 00s. I can't recall what it was for, but the punchline was a prasebook-using tourist saying "je voudrais faire une achete" in not only bad pronounciation but also a full American Southern drawl.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, and as for Indiana Jones references, "Belloq's Rafe's staff is too long, they're digging in the wrong place."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xinder posted:

I'm in agreement with Ironicus re: the way Uncharted games introduce new characters. It gets a little annoying to have a brand new character show up and have everybody go "Yeah I remember you." and leave me mildly confused as to if I completely forgot about old characters.

That said, I'm already won over by Nadine and I like her presence in this game a lot just based on what we've seen so far.

On the one hand it can be a bit disorienting for the player. On the other hand it helps promote the "has a life outside of being on-camera" aspect of worldbuilding.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

Scotland doesn't have nice weather ever sully you liar

Nice for Scotland, anyway. Only half the sheep have died of depression.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I like to think that in whatever periodicals and websites specifically serve the interests of the mercenary community, Nathan Drake's passage across the world is tracked like it's a tropical storm front. Even the vaguest hint that he's in a given area is considered enough reason to turn down or walk away from a job.

In that vein, I'd like to see the bad guy's lair when he's told Bond is in the area, some flunky just drops their stuff and walks out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Paging Geop about scottish hexagon rocks

edit: Yes, 'kak' is south-african slang. It means poo poo

I haven't seen the video yet (and I'm headed out the door to leave town for the high holidays so I won't see it for a while) but I assume hexagon rocks means basalt cliffs. Actual thing, and I believe Scotland has a lot of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If it ends with some "the real treasure is friendship/Jesus" thing (as the pirates' goal, not the game because of COURSE family being the important thing is going to be Nate's moral) I will be annoyed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samovar posted:

But Ironicus, I must point out, it's not pronounced 'Ha-penny', it's pronounced 'Hape-nee'. It's one of those weird English things, like Fotheringay.

Worchestershire sauce, pronounced woos-ter-sher

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ramos posted:

The true treasure of Madagascar is the ability to avoid any global disease-related pandemic.

The first Madagascar level is figuring out how to get there because somebody sneezed and the borders are closed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6lJGD3Q9Qs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Ok maybe this is the place to ask. Why did old timey sailing ships travel to Brazil on their way 'round the Cape? That leg of the trip came up in the Jack Aubrey yarns I've read a few times as well, and googling mostly turns up stuff about the slave trade.

Currents go in a loop, it's not a two-way highway. I asked the same question recently when my uncle got a boat through the Panama Canal, why he didn't just sail it home rather than putting it on a freighter, and the answer's that for the Pacific Ocean while he could have sailed from Seattle to Panama easily (nautically speaking, it's still a long trip) the return trip would need him to loop out to Hawaii to ride the current home.

Looking at that map, if they tried to sail straight down the African coast they'd run head-on into the Benguela current.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

E: wrong thread.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Related to the Honeys podcast, is there any theater (dramatic, not cinema) that isn't haunted by a worker who died during construction? My high school theater had one (I saw it once while closing up) and I've run into similar stories for four other places.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At 9:40, a guy shoots at Nate through the jeep's windshield. When it goes off the cliff, the bullet holes are still there!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

They'll find Avery's treasure and it'll be filled up with gold like the Cave of Wonders and Alcázar will slowly rise up from a pile of jewels and chalices like he's standing on an elevator.

I figure whatever's there in place of the treasure ('cause it sure as Hell ain't gonna be treasure) was known to Alcazar because he's a descendant of some of the pirates, and he wanted the Drake boys to rediscover it so he could protect it like they did.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just check the other side of the coin. They're gonna be minted with the same orientation, and that volcano can only go one way up.

E: looking at the end of video 9, my reasoning says that the treasure tower is the one with scales.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 3, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I liked that in the panorama shot you could see Sam's tower down by the bay.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lemurs are wild animals. Do not make them pets.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Drake, I think if you make the news Elena will find out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How about they split the profits at the end? Nate gets the treasure, and Nadine gets the payroll she doesn't have to spend on headcount anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's an obvious trope, but I can't help but love the "I think we lost it. Oh come ON!" for the truck coming back.

• Locked thread