Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Grizzwold posted:

What does Drake even do in between adventures, anyway? Does he have a job or is he just mooching off of Sully while planning his next get-rich-quick scheme? I kinda want a scene of Drake hanging out on somebody's couch while everyone gets increasingly fed up with him.

You're in luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

Drake and Elena got married after Uncharted 2. unless they got divorced and remarried, they were married during all of UC3

Didn't the whole “I see you're still wearing it / You're still wearing yours” exchange at the Yemeni airport suggest that they had divorced, or at least were separated before the beginning of UC3?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Hey you guys know like most 90s/00s movies, The Mummy had a cartoon based on it?

I literally don't remember anything else other than "it exists", but I think it might be a very distant 2nd best in the "spin-off cartoon based on a movie" genre.

I'm very afraid to even ask, because I know already that it'll be so stupid that I'll lose brain cells, but…

#1?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Perhaps it's best to clarify: second (and first) best because of “oh, wow, that's so stupid it's actually hilarious” or because of “oh, wow, that's a really good show”?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ManSedan posted:

I wish there were a series of young adult novels about a young Victor Sullivan and his globetrotting adventures in the 1930s.

Isn't that just Tales of the Gold Monkey?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Its pretty amazing coincidence but Tom Hanks does look like Sully in this movie about the guy who was able to land a plane safely in the Hudson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE

How do you make a 96-minute move out of a 6-minute event, 2½ of which were uneventful. :psyduck:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I was going to guess a lot of slow motion, but your idea works too.

I like your guess better, but I suppose an “I'm no hero”-story will have to do.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Now I really want the Uncharted: Home Life game that also includes Nate, Charlie, and Chloe bar hopping and drunkenly playing trivia games.

That, or the opposite, kind of like Sherlock Homes Consultant Detective — you have to beat them at drunken trivia game. They get faster response times for anything really obscure related to history's great expeditions; they get time penalties for anything related to pop culture. The trick is to balance getting answers right and answering them quickly so you have time to get more drunk.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I'm hoping the very next scene is "I love you, but you're an idiot. Let's go get that treasure."

“What, the Avery treasure? Yeah, we found that one last year — didn't you watch the 4-episode special? You never pay attention to my work!” <cue the rest of the game being an 8-hour domestic row presented as a quicktime event>

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 27, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meanwhile, having actually watch said special, Alcazar discovers the Drake family connection and decides to pay a visit but is shot from behind at the last second by the game's true hero, Sully, who have been watching from the shadows all this time. Everyone lives happily ever after. Except Rafe who's stuck in Scotland.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

That one's kinda okay if it's played for humour instead of drama

but only once.

It only works in the Futurama version — “No, I'm standing right in front of you.”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Let's see…

Elena has tracked down Nate in the middle of a jungle, twice; in a far-off Nepali village; on a random shore somewhere along the Arabian or Red Sea; and she has busted him out of a pacific island prison. She also knows how to keep up with trains and aeroplanes in a jeep.

Everyone should just hire Elena instead — she's probably better at finding stuff than any of the Drakes are.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

With a name like that he'd have to be some kind of duck.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, that's Sully.

But it doesn't have a moustache. :confused:
I suppose it could be from when he was 2–3 or something, before it was fully developed.

:golfclap:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Ocean's 11, starring Sully and 9 other Sully clones and Frank Sinatra

Frank Sinatra is just Sully going through a phase and trying a new technique for hitting on women.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 7, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, isn't the entire point of that scene to make her earn the bad-rear end credentials that have only been hinted at in conversation up until that point?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't mind unbeatable bossfights, as long as it's either pretty obvious what it is or you don't have rare resources to waste on said fight.

The worst thing is having to win a boss fight only to immediately lose anyway in the followup cutscene.

Yeah, this is the main problem with FFIX's Beatrix mentioned earlier: they're entirely narrative in nature and on a grander scale, they build a very good progression and characterisation of both her and of the player characters. However, at no point does the game even hint at the fact that all fights against here are simply timed affairs. After a given set of rounds, she just resets everyone to 1 HP and ends the battle. Before that, she's an apparent boss monster with all regular rules one might expect from such a fight, which will unavoidably make the player waste consumables and MP during the fight, when none of it makes any difference and is better used to restore the party afterwards.

The whole narrative arc also compounds this problem by teasing on multiple occasions. The first time, you get tricked because you don't know any better. The second time, you might think that it'll be a repeat because it doesn't feel like this is the time you'll get her, but there's still no in-game suggestion that you'll go through the same routine. The third time, it does feel like, yes! It is finally Beatrix-beatdown time… but no. Still timed; still a forced loss; still no hint that you're just wasting your stuff.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Onmi posted:

No the worst part is that if you lose naturally in the fight, then you get a game over. I understand having unwinnable boss battles, I even understand not informing the player it's unwinnable and letting them waste resources. I will not forgive "You must only lose at the designated point!" Why does it matter? I can't win anyway!

Fair enough. That part is pretty stupid too, but that's probably more because, again, they just appear in in every way works as regular boss fights up until the moment the timer has run down. It feels more like a ludonarrative (oh dear…) oversight, though, than the kind of poor signalling that the rest of her fights represent.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Nice for Scotland, anyway. Only half the sheep have died of depression.

That's only because the other half was too drunk and missed the cliff they were going to hurl themselves off of.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

At least they're not going to Wales!

I don't think anyone ever actually goes to Wales. They're just led astray because they accidentally sneeze when they ask for directions

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Elana loving cheats at videogames, theres no way Drake, an expert platformer couldnt easily beat her score.

It's all those callouses from catching himself in mid-fall by gripping rusty iron bars — they get in the way of precise stick control and button mashing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

* Seaplanes are a good choice for adventuring aircraft tbh.
Nothing better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdFN6agkNnQ

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

bman in 2288 posted:

What about Sully?

He gets to judge who's the prettiest.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chip Cheezum posted:

Let's learn about how frogs are secretly turtles. Also our next podcast is live! This time we're talking about Platinum Games, maps, and doing LPs of sequels!

Chipod Ironicast #19: Platinum.....Libsyn.....Download

Slightly tangential, but how do you even LP something like MGSV? It's so big but so much of it is just repetition of the same pattern in a different location on the map. And there's also so much superfluous junk in it (that a sensible play-through would mod away, but would that affect the “quality” of an LP?) that just isn't good content. Maybe some of it works as a stream — let's talk nonsense while grinding S-rank soldiers and precious metals — but for actual showing off gameplay, it would be horrid to watch… and yet, it is a part of the full game.

Since it's essentially Peace Walker 2, I suppose some of that style could be adopted, but it's still such an oddball even compared to that one. And I don't think the cutscenes are the problem — it's that 98% of the story is in the cassettes. While in a regular play-through, this is an improvement over the codec calls of old since you don't just have to sit and watch a static screen but instead can use it to drown out the aforementioned rank/resource grind, that doesn't really work that well for the LP format unless it's back to the codec cassette-only episodes, which are now crucial to understanding the plot rather than just being curious asides that safely can be skipped.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wheany posted:

And your post made me realize that it's exactly the same in Finnish. Kilpikonna, shield toad. :stare:

…and Swedish: sköld + padda.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

zedprime posted:

I know Rafe is supposed to be rich but amateur, but he could have saved so much money on dynamite if he hired a geologist with a ground penetrating radar and a drone.

But the Nate wouldn't have been able to arm himself heavily or find anything to blast through those doors. And then nothing would have been either destroyed or unearthed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Do Englishmen pronounce it "Nooster?"

“Throatwobbler Mangrove”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

KieranWalker posted:

It's Elena, no H. The exact methods aren't ever brought up, but Elena has been proven time and again to be just as clever as Nathan. I'm sure he left a paper trail somewhere, and she followed it.

She spends all of U2 right on the heels of an internationally wanted war criminal with an army as his personal protection detail, who has eluded the efforts of all the regular enforcement agencies and found Nate in a random village up a mountain. In U1, she tracked down Nate in the middle of a jungle, twice. Let's just say that she's probably just as good — if not better — at finding people as Nate is at finding antique lacquer boxes.

And as has been pointed out time and time again, it's not like the brothers Drake leave leave no mark on the environment they're in… :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Demonstrating a need for a firearm.

The latter is ironclad. Wanting a gun, is not a valid reason for owning one. You'd better be a working farmer or someone else who can demonstrate they have a legitimate use for a shotgun.

…like being a mum.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

we already know what it is

the world's most expensive theme park

Running out of time in the later stages of development, Naughty Dog panicked and accidentally licensed Eggmanland from Sonic Unleashed as the final map of the game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just heading down the shops to buy milk involved surpassing three death traps, solving a puzzle involving arcane astronomical lore and climbing a sheer cliff while being pelted with rocks.

Hey, either you want to be a pirate or you don't. No time-wasters. :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is going to go on until Chip comes back from holiday isn't it?

Then he'll open up this thread and see 300 pages of lovely puns and just weep.

It's the punishment he gets for having a life and going away to have some fun, rather than serving up entertainment for us 24/7.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

Perhaps the next game will follow the way of Ubisoft and have a sailing focus

The Mast of Us

Better that than jumping on the Far Cry Primal bandwagon.

The Past of Us.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

chinese barbecue porp posted:

No more puns please, they will be the death to us

Yeah, if we keep this up, naughty dog is going to hear about it and hand out bats and stuff to Baker, Johnson, and Danbridge to have them come and beat the snot out of everyone here. And not just those three, but the whole cast of us.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

god damnit

Please accept my sincere apology, i just wanted to make a fun pun about a game, i didn't mean to spawn three pages of the worst posting this side of The Dark Id's threads. :cry:

Please come back Chip

You really brought out the worst in us. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

The irony is that the bad posting is in fact the posting about alleged bad posting.

makes u think

This game's pacing feels kinda weird tho. After the auction it kinda feels like nothing has really happened in terms of protags and antags. Shrug.

There's been more tension within the two sides than between them: Rafe and Nadine increasingly don't get along, and Nate has (failed) to balance between brother, faux-grandpa, and wife. The actual competition for the treasure has been very by-the-numbers, perhaps because it's not a particularly interesting aspect to try to do again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chip Cheezum posted:

We're back! Updates are back! Nathan's back! Puns can end forever now because Nate's back and there are men to jump on again.

<David Attenborough voice>
Here is wishful thinking in its most common habitat…
</DAv>

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

double nine posted:

so does this mean that the player is effectively the hands and the rest of the body is generated from there or?

Kind of, but not quite.

It means that the hands and feet are the main ways in which the whole body is positioned: they attach to various points on the ground or on ledges, and the arm, leg, and body position is adjusted to match. This is the whole point of “inverse kinematics”: you calculate backwards from those connection points and derive the character's stance from that, rather than have fixed positions and animations for everything.

It's only the fine positioning that depends on any of that, and exactly what model is used can be changed depending on the situation. So you have one set of rules for when the character is standing and walking; one for when it's running; one for climbing; and an additional layer for interactions like shooting guns and the like. But the full body is still the full body, and it's still relevant for all other kinds of interactions.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Lots of people/countries eat horses.

Not good if they slip it in your value brand lasagna without telling you though...

It's called hamburger meat around here. Still unsure if that's just to trick the tourists, though… :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

All I know about PMCs, I learned from Metal Gear Solid. That's a reliable source, right?

Their commercials use less CGI, but other than that, it's pretty spot on. Perhaps slightly fewer cow robots as well.

• Locked thread