Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There is no reason for Sam to be Nates brother instead of a really good friend he grew up with other than trying to "top" your last story (and really ruining a lot of the previous ones because now there's scenes that simply don't make any sense). I understand why stuff like that would make a writer upset.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Plus the young drake sequences in 3.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Great Joe posted:

#wow #whoa :eyepop:

The villain of Uncharted 2 even calls him out on it. Nathan is a monster, like pretty much every other shooter protagonist.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Even Lara Croft started by shooting many wild animals, centaurs and three humans in her first outing. In the second game, though, the body count was in triple digits. She really hated Venice, I guess.

The remaster trilogy handled it really well. She only kills animals on her first adventure, and near the end kills a badguy in self defense and is pretty messed up by it. After her first human kill, she starts killing people like it's no big deal. It's not perfect, and certainly not The Line, but it's better than nothing.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 15, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

FarCry 3 fails at it because it was written by a guy who thought he was being the smartest writer ever (while all his writing ended up in a game that takes no notice of of his writing whatsoever).

The Line succeeded at it, because it's a game where the entire game is in service to the writing and concept - usually it's the other way around (and it made both the player and the played character at fault for what happens).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 16, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Mr. Highway posted:

The Line fails because the game puts the player in an unwinnable circumstance and constantly tells the player that they were put in an unwinnable circumstance. The game makes you shoot a person and then tells you that you shouldn't have shot that person.

It doesn't make you shoot that person though. You chose to play the game. That is the choice you are making. It's easier to blame the game than it is to just stop playing, which says a lot about just how used gamers are to the violence and how obendient they are to things those games ask of them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This doesn't seem like the right thread to be arguing about the meaning of Spec Ops: The Line.

True. How about that Nathan Drake, he sure loves him some treasure.

Will he finally learn that the greatest treasure....is family?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

All his adventures end with him not having any treasure, so maybe he is just so bad at it he has never actually gotten any treasure.

So you'd say getting the collectible treasures is not canon?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Chip and Ironicus were serious about how the Drakes pay for everything: when they get short on cash, they just sell off some trinket he picked up and get 4 or 5 figures.

Actually, don't salvagers make pretty good money?

Yeah salvage pays really well, but there's tons of risk because you've got a lot of up-front investment (boat, people, gear, etc.) and if a single risky job doesn't work out you may just have hosed your financials forever. The game's depiction of basic milk-run salvage jobs that keep things running vs the shady high-risk job that would be a big score is pretty accurate from what I've seen.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The twist is that Avery found Jesus and the treasure is in the Vatican. Final setpiece is a gunfight between Swiss Guard, South American Drug Lord, Rafe and Drake.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

bobjr posted:

To be fair we just got to the big island where everything supposedly is. Since 1 is all one island and 2 the Yeti's only appear near the city, if there's anything weird it has to be near the source.

3 was weird with the spiders everywhere, but I remember a lot of people not liking that.

Since you mention the spiders - where they real in the end? Because considering what the gimmick of 3's macguffin was, the spiders don't really make a lot of sense if they were real.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

By the time he leaves it would be a ruin.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Automata is like 3+ apocalypses down the line not even counting the Drakengard one that started it. How there's even something resembling current earth left is probably going to be one of the big mysteries.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Sam is supposed to be a criminal kid, but he keeps yelling Nathans name while surrounded by police. What the gently caress dude even I know you don't use names during a crime, much less when police is standing next to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this is the explanation given directly by the developers.

It was the official explanation in the Brothers in Arms games, because regenerating health is dumb and WW2 was lethal as gently caress. Also meant you didn't get red all over your screen all the time.

• Locked thread