Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
poo poo, what's even the point of the rest of the game? This is clearly the best part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A high-powered business drama that is completely serious yet runs entirely on Monopoly rules is totally a movie that I'd say I would watch and then never get around to.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I like that despite being "out" of the whole treasure hunting game, Drake still apparently keeps all his buddies on speed dial.

They make a killer trivia night team.

I like that Drake's got an old flip-phone and not something new and fancy. He probably picked that thing specifically so it could handle the kind of bullshit he'd put it through.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The thing I learned during Gextra Life is that Gex actually had an entirely different voice actor and script in Europe and Australia! There, he's a suave Bond-esque figure.

It's honestly way more tolerable.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
You know, from the mention of paying off Alcazar with stolen boats instead of Dismas Money...

Alcazar is hinging hopes for a lot of money on a pretty unreliable score. I mean even assuming that it's not a wild goose chase and the treasure actually exists and can be found (and we'll give him that), and that Sam actually has a good estimation of the value of a treasure he has never seen, we know from first-hand experience of Nate's shenanigans that ancient treasures do not live up to the hype. Experience suggests that this treasure has more chance of being total poo poo or actively dangerous than valuable, and it's already a lot of 'if's to get to that point.

Also, I really like just how slimy Rafe is. He's got that self-assured, smug 'wit' to him that makes it clear he is just total loving scum that cares not one bit about anybody else. He's like a treasure-hunting Martin Shkreli. That green car's probably his.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zagglezig posted:

The important thing here is to now follow it up at some point with a satisfying victory over Nadine. Doesn't have to be Nate suddenly getting better at hand to hand to beat her at on the same terms as what we just had, but it should feel earned and it should be there. Could be like the first two Indiana Jones movies where Indy gets into a fist fight with someone he can't handle and needs an environment hazard to beat.

Over in the FF9 LP thread there was a lot of talk about General Beatrix, who you fight three times and she single-handedly whoops you three times, even if you've depleted her HP, then joins your side. Nothing changes about any of those fights except circumstances and so none of the fights give you a story point to show your characters have grown in some way and can now match her or that she's weakened in some way, even when she's starting to doubt her cause and the game is going to place her at your level anyway in a few cutscenes.

And in opposition is actually FFII on the NES (and all the umptrillion rereleases), which starts in media res with your party just getting STOMPED by the empire's forces... who are actually regular enemies that turn up way later in the game, the progression is entirely your own.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Inco posted:

Sully met Nate 20 years before Uncharted 3, and Sam got shot 15 years before Uncharted 4. Sam and Sully almost assuredly worked together at some point in those 7 years.

I got the idea from how they apoke that Sully was involved in the Dismas hunt way back when.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Antistar01 posted:

drat this game is pretty.

Pretty bad at spelling. :downsrim:

(Looks like Nate forgot the "i before e except after c" rule in his journal. I know, it's probably intentional.)

Fun fact: there's more exceptions to that rule than adherents. By a lot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So... is it actually supposed to be held like that, or is it just displayed upside-down because it'd be impossible to stand it upright?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ousire posted:

Man you really think that Shoreline would've taken a few seconds to shoot out Nate's tires or something. His truck was right there when they pulled up.

I'm pretty sure, judging by the behavior of Shoreline during this whole part up to the point Ironicus made that somebody had to deliberately leave that cigarette, that they're just loving with the Drake Crew for all of Madagascar.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, about that comment that this motorcycle chase scene is like a hyped-up version of the MGS motorcycle scenes?

I'm pretty sure the gun Nate's using in this is based on the Skorpion, which is the gun Snake actually used in those scenes in MGS3 and 4. It's also the basis for the Klobb in Goldeneye, for whatever that's worth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy 15, Dead Rising 4, and the Last Guardian are some of the big releases that come out late late November/Early December.

And Pokemon Sun and Moon is out, like, tomorrow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Man, this is such a cool, chill level. Just boating around, trying to solve old pirate puzzles with your bro in an island paradise.

It's gonna suck so hard when mercenaries start blowing it to hell five minutes into the next video.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Samovar posted:

Why do people never shut up for these reveals? It's extremely obnoxious.

Also, the first person in that Death Stranding, that's mo-capped del Toro, isn't it?

Third trailer will feature mocapped Junji Ito.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Wow, I thought we were building to Alcazar being some kind of immortal pirate captain from the Libertalia founder team, who modernized in secret and duped Sam to get all that sweet Libertalian gold. He looked like that one captain from the lineup, the one Sully and Nate had to re-hang the portrait for in Madagascar.

...wait a minute. We only had Sam's fabricated tale to go on for Alcazar's physical description, and we have no indication that Sam actually knows what Alcazar looks like. In that flashback, Alcazar's men were using a type of arms we've now seen Shoreline using, suggesting that Sam is filling the details of his story with scattered pieces of information from reality. Sam is an expert on pirates like nobody else in the cast, so he can safely include parts of that in a lie and be confident nobody else would know enough to pick him up on that.

Alcazar looks like that because, when pressed for a physical description of a figure Sam had never actually met, he fell back on a figure he could readily and consistently describe: a pirate.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm just in love with this Nier's setting and style. It's not even post-apocalypse because there doesn't even look to have been an apocalyptic event, it's just... derelict. Like everybody just left. Even some of the more fantastical parts of the setting are very grounded; the giant mech is composed of completely normal cranes, diggers and I think an oil rig. It's kind of weirdly Metal Gear-ish, in that even Yoji Shinkawa's most elaborate Metal Gear designs were still using a lot of modern military visual cues so most of them felt kind of reasonable.

Do we know if anybody in particular is doing the world/setting design? because I love them. I know Akihiko Yoshida (the Final Fantasy Tactics/Bravely Default guy) is doing the character design, but I really don't think he's the guy responsible for Constructicon here. Is that a common design aesthetic for the Drakengard/Nier series? I'm assuming not.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 2, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zagglezig posted:

Well, it may have been less obvious since it wasn't a house, but we did essentially the same peaceful exploration of a well visualized area while running into pieces of the story of someone else's life starting with the big island exploration level with Sam hunting down giant compass arrows. Granted, it wasn't the biggest focus of the area and we didn't get to the end of the doomed expedition materials until after some cutscene boat chase action.

And on a different scale, think back to the actual first exploration of Libertalia. It's got a couple of talky dudes all through it, sure, but that's all environmental storytelling. All of it is looking at an abandoned settlement and seeing who it was made up of, how it worked, and ultimately why it's empty. You can play it on mute, entirely shutting the Drake boys out of it, and lose absolutely nothing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

standard owl posted:

Middle-aged white men and their emotional problems are so, so far removed from my life and perspective that I am basically watching this LP like an anthropologist studying an isolated tribe. yes this includes Sam, Nate, and gently caress I guess Rafe too? What's up with that guy?? Of all of Chip and Ironicus's LPs so far, this has probably helped me understand old white men the most. Watch_Dogs actually hurt my knowledge more than anything, but I'm really looking forward to MGSV: the Phantom Manpain to round the whole experience out.

I'm personally quite tired of basically the entirety of the western video games industry clearly going through a Dad Phase, because I want to be a dad about as much as I want to step on a floor covered in Lego bricks.

But I appreciate Uncharted 4's manifestation of dadliness being largely indirect, predominantly consisting of a general concept of 'it's okay to settle down' and a large amount of jokes only dads would laugh at.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I was on edge even just watching that cave descent, and I just realized that's because it's very reminiscent of some parts of Dark Souls. All three games have similar sections of descending into dead-filled catacombs and crypts that are really claustrophobic, linear and full of traps, the only real difference is that Dark Souls would bring in the undead enemies.

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls 2 or 3 even had exploding mummies at some point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Necroskowitz posted:

Founding a society by, for and of murderous thieves might look good on paper but it just never works out like you'd want.

The supernatural element of this game is the level of luck it took to get as far as building all of Libertalia and New Devon before it all went to poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
That entire epilogue felt like such a big hug that I'm sad I don't have anybody around to hug right now, and I will willingly admit I got teary-eyed multiple times during it.

I mean, okay, Chapter 4 was good, but that epilogue just barely avoided being too much and it's fantastic.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hell, that's officially what hit points represent in D&D since the first edition. A fighter with a lot of hit points can't be stabbed in the chest more often, he's just better at avoiding being stabbed in the chest.

Which is why 'bloodied' was a thing in 4e; at around half HP you reasonably HAVE taken a decent hit, but it hasn't killed you.

Of course, a lot of other RPGs didn't really grasp this concept. Especially when video games started happening and so they had to actually depict losing HP somehow.

• Locked thread