Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Uncharted 4 was definitely taking some cues from The Last of Us. It's definitely got that TV show pacing, with lots of slower moments and transit with dialogue padding out the action sequences. I think it's in a good way, though. All of the dialogue really helps sell the characterization and story.

I'd say that some of them go on a bit too long but we'll get there when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if we'll ever know exactly what changed when Amy Hennig left and the other guys took over (unless we already know and I'm the one that doesn't). Apparently they changed a whole lot of what she originally planned, including scrapping some already captured work, and I've always been really curious what it was before because it's not like Uncharted 4 feels radically different from any of the others.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

What was up with the half dozen guards that just didn't have guns during the prison break? Were they all communally smoking in that specific alley when the alarm went and couldn't stop to get guns?

You generally don't give guns to prison guards that are actually going to go into the area prisoners could be or access. That's just a good way to potentially give prisoners the guns.

The actual reason was to reinforce the melee fight mechanics and show that Sam is willing to forgo escape to help Nathan.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't Amy's original idea to make Sam judging by how he narrates the first teaser for UC4?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o

If that was supposed to be Sam's first incarnation then it seems he was originally going to be the villain? Or at least not a good guy at the start.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ousire posted:

Nathan's voice actor should just record himself doing an episode of "Let's Play Uncharted" in character as Nathan Drake.

If Gordon Freeman is actually a narcissistic, scatter brained, basket case in his head (Go watch "Freeman's Mind") then is Nathan Drake actually doing the freaking out about all the murder and blood in his head?

Nathan Drake: "That's your neck."

Nathan Drake's brain: "Holy jesus what the gently caress did I just say I just killed a man and then mocked him as he crumpled to the ground paralyzed he could probably still hear me as he died that's the last thing he's ever going to hear jesus gently caress I'm a monster gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As has been mentioned, unlike the previous Uncharted games which only captured the actor's motions, Uncharted 4 captures the actor's facial expressions as well which goes a long way to conveying actual emotion.

Also screw you Chip I was so proud of myself to have found the Strange Relic treasure without looking up anything only for you come along and tell me there are 2 other hidden treasures that I missed :mad:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

What the hell Nathan, why did you jump on the big bell? You have a perfectly functional grappling hook you could use to ring it, and even plenty of broken beams to use as pulleys!

"If only I had some kind of rope!" situations come up a few times in 4 I noticed, which is weird considering how much they really do use it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

cdyoung posted:

How the bloody hell did Helena track them down?

She already did it once in the first game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When Sam took over driving the boat when I got to that sunken ship his AI really broke and he just started driving off into the ocean.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blhue posted:

it is however unrealistic for a ps1 to work more than a year after being unboxed

Excuse me my PS1 worked fine for years as long as I turned it upside down

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, I did not see that coming, but in hindsight, something tells me I should've.

It certainly retroactively made me feel better about having to shoot a bunch of prison guards.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Rafe is kind of an idiot. If he decides that he only needs one Drake, why chose the one who was stuck for 2 years before betraying him, rather than the competent, somewhat gullible one, who got duped into killing countless people and ruining his marriage by the first one?

Maybe he still has Sam on his payroll and wants to circumvent a visit with HR when Nate gets employed.

Sam is as obsessed with Avery's treasure as Rafe is, it's just that both of them think they're the rational one and the other one is the obsessed one they can use for their benefit. So Rafe chose the Drake that, in his mind, he will be able to manipulate into helping him. Killing Nate was removing all other emotional attachments Sam had, now he has nothing to live for except finding Avery's treasure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I really can't imagine why some people just can't accept that Nadine can do all the things the entire history of tough villain minions can. Really. Not a single one. Uncharted 4 simply managed to do some small, inconsequential change to the bad guy's main muscle that somehow changed the acceptance of basically every single piece of dumb fun action fiction before it.

It'll just be one of those great mysteries of life I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

it all seems so quaint, now

It was the Last of Fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"If only we had some kind of climbing rope!" - Me, after the cart crash at the end :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

The music for that setpiece in the ship's graveyard rescuing Sam is ridiculously heroic. That whole piece is incredible, even if the ships' sails still being pictuesquely intact after hundreds of years is ridiculous.

It's sort of hilarious, too, how literally every problem in this game so far could have been easily avoided if either A: Rafe hadn't been a monstrously petty person, or B: Sam had just been honest with Nate. Like, all this poo poo is aimed at, ultimately, two dudes. Why does he need an army? (Ok, he needs one because he's fighting Nathan Drake, but...) Why did he bring so many mercs and not, I don't know, an excavation company? Was he expecting (modern) pirates? That would have been possibly an interesting change of pace?

Like, it's bewildering how Libertalia claimed the prior expedition considering that so far there's seemingly been few or no actual perils to the island itself?

And yeah - why is Sam so obsessively pursuing a treasure he can't get off the island? (It's just symbolic for him now!)

Libertalia, as a physical thing, did not claim the prior group to get to the island. The allure of the treasure is the theme here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't go out to the boat when I played that ending part because I figured that was the "ending cutscene" point and I was super disappointed when the house started it. Guess I didn't miss much but I was super broken up about it at the time.

Thanks for the LP and zooming in on all those little details I don't have the patience for.

• Locked thread