Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fedule posted:

Honestly, if Uncharted scrapped difficulty modes and weird trophies and embraced adaptive challenge like Crash Bandicoot did it could've been even better than it is.

don't they already do this? at least in terms of making it easier by giving you ammo/removing enemies if you die too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fedule posted:

The closest I found to this were some generous mid-fight checkpoints; I can't say I ever noticed ammo replenishing or enemies disappearing. Besides, aren't adaptive difficulty and scaling difficulty modes kind of opposed? Like, what would be the point of having a hardest difficulty if every time you died the encounter got a little easier?

I could have sworn I read something about it once, but maybe I just read about how they did it in Crash Bandicoot and conflated the two.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there some reason Sam's existence doesn't make sense other than goons not liking it? like he's not my favourite character in the series, but having your brother get shot in a prison and presumably die as far as you know seems like a perfectly reasonable excuse to have not mentioned him at all after it happened, so I can't think of a scene in the first three games that it "ruins"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Plus the young drake sequences in 3.

don't those happen after he leaves the orphanage? we don't really know much about what happens in between then and when they meet up later, and there's no real reason to think they had to be together all that time.

the grappling hook thing is minor at best, too, since there are plenty of times either it'd make no sense for him to have brought one or he ends up having to leave all his equipment behind anyway (see everything after the plane crash in 1, for example)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The reasons stated previously were all a lot stronger than "I just don't like this," so I don't know why you framed it like that.

It does not make sense within the timeline of the game, and events we the player actually saw. I have not played this game, but from what I gather I am going to wind up enjoying the further misadventures of Sam and Drake, and I like the way they work together and play off of one another, but that doesn't mean I can't also go "hey wait a minute, that doesn't add up."

I asked it that way because I couldn't remember any specific instances that made Sam's existence ret-conned from previous games (granted it's been a while since I've played the first three), so it seemed like all the complaints were just about him not being mentioned in the first three games, which didn't seem unreasonable to me based on how Nate thought he was dead and it was probably his fault.

so I was hoping someone had some specific examples from previous games about timeline stuff, but I don't think there's anything time-wise that doesn't add up since we don't, I think, know the ages of Drake in the orphanage section in this game and in the Colombia(?) streets section of UC3 as a kid. that made the complaints come off to me as being based mostly on people not liking the idea of his character being added in more than having reasons that it didn't actually work out in the universe.

the insertion might be a little clunky at times--I just didn't see any reasons it was impossible and was looking for some concrete evidence otherwise

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tendales posted:

The Sam timeline doesn't seem at all confusing? Like, the orphanage scene is about how Sam is about to gently caress off and leave Nathan alone for "a couple" (many) years. Nathan does the orphan thing for a long time and Sam never comes back, and least not until he turns up out of nowhere with an awesome plan that just involves getting the poo poo beat out of you a little in a Panamanian prison, somehow plan goes wrong, Sam Ded.

The answer to 'where was Sam when' is pretty explicitly stated to be 'in trouble somewhere else.' I wouldn't be surprised if we have now seen almost the sum total of Sam's physical presence in Nathan's life to date.

mostly this. I mean, I have a better answer for where he is while Nate's growing up, but it's spoilers until way later. he clearly comes back at some point because they've been trying this Avery thing for a while, but there's a decent reason for him to be gone and feel abandoned

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's really a testament to Naughty Dog's writing that you can constantly root for the bad guy in this series though.

no one is rooting for Navarro

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

sout posted:

Thank you for not saying "ludonarrative dissonance" even though it's probably apt here.
IGN reckons Drake's body count for the first 3 games is 1829.
Nate doesn't even look at his bloodied hands and scream "what have I become!?" as far as I can remember.

yeah and George Lucas didn't include the scene where Luke deals with the guilt of killing everyone on the Death Star either

but let's start this tired area of discussion again, sure

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

sout posted:

I was sort of poking fun at that scene in Far Cry 3 where our hero does that and it still doesn't really work.

sorry, I haven't played it so I missed the reference

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Uncharted handles it right because no one cares

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't think he ever really goes into an adventure looking for a fight, though. he's more than happy to try and do things the peaceful or stealthy way; he's just also not going to sit there and get shot when poo poo hits the fan

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Apep727 posted:

Why doesn't she have her own game yet?

I would play the gently caress out of a game of Elena going around to places for her travel guides and running into unexpected problems

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The story's pretty decent so far. Drake and Elena got married for some reason and as such, Sully hasn't been seen in two years.

Drake and Elena got married after Uncharted 2. unless they got divorced and remarried, they were married during all of UC3

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tippis posted:

Didn't the whole “I see you're still wearing it / You're still wearing yours” exchange at the Yemeni airport suggest that they had divorced, or at least were separated before the beginning of UC3?

separated, definitely, but no clear indication whether they were actually divorced since they both still had their rings

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Are we forgetting Jackie Chan Adventures?

he said second best, obviously meaning that JCA was in first place

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

mateo360 posted:

Jackie Chan Adventures needs a full series DVD release and I am disappointed no one has jumped on it yet.

the series used to be on Netflix but, like most things I wanted to watch at some point, no longer is

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
do people not like Gex? I only played I think the second one (which of course is the only one not offered on the PSN store for some reason :argh: ), but it seemed like a perfectly good game

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

we know from first-hand experience of Nate's shenanigans that ancient treasures do not live up to the hype.

to be fair, I think all of Nate's discoveries have been incredibly valuable. they've also just happened to be weapons of mass destruction/chemical warfare that he wouldn't feel good about becoming rich from and has ended up destroying while escaping the megalomaniac of the day.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

standard owl posted:

I have no idea what's coming up in Uncharted 4, but this is kind of my guess: Sam leaves for that job for a year, takes his eyes off of Nate for one second and the li'l scoundrel's off to South America, where he meets Sully. Then Sam manages to track Nate down, who's like "hey look at this weird old man I found?" And they do like...heists and stuff together while the brothers grow up under Sully's non-watchful eye, but Sam's already too old to see Sully as his grandpa figure. So he doesn't exactly trust this greasy stinky geezer like Nate does.

honestly, it's kind of funny that Sam is so upset about Nate involving Sully because "it should just be the two of us" when Sam was the one who told Nate he was silly for being upset that Sam had involved Rafe in Panama

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
all this has shown is that when it comes to partners, Nate has way better judgment

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Remember all those times Elana was picking off headshots 100 yards away with a magnum

her name is Elena

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

Sully in highschool?

anime high school

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Xinder posted:

I finished rewatching all of the Uncharted 3 LP and now I'm here to yell at Chip for being a drat dirty liar. We never got those Uncharted 3 mp videos.

luckily you can STILL get matches to this day so there's still time

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it was always funny to me that he says there are too many permutations in that puzzle. there are only 64 for the three-square variety and 256 for the one with four, and he could probably blow through them in like a minute each.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Seriously, you'd think he'd at least bring Sam over for tea.

Just sitting around the table laying it all, "Look, I'm sorry but a drug lord has threatened to kill my brother unless we find this treasure for him. He's very powerful and incredibly scary and dangerous. He won't hesitate to kill all of us if we don't. I don't know what else to do. He's my brother."

Pretty sure he wanted to introduce them and then Sam was like "no, we need to leave right now because Alcazar wants to kill me there's no time for anything else"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Very few, and Uncharted 4 doesn't count as one of them.

Remember that first teaser that was tooootally in engine footage and the gameplay was going to be 60 FPS?

maybe I just don't have good eyes, but this doesn't really look particularly better than the actual game to me, and all of the game is in-engine without CGI cutscenes.

also people care about 60 FPS too much. the game plays great at 30, and I don't really remember them making a selling point out of it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

That's fair. It's just unfortunate that Naughty Dog did the Ubisoft/EA thing and really went out of their way to lie about the teaser footage.

you keep saying this and the only thing they maybe misled people about was whether it was going to be in 60 FPS the whole time (I can't remember them specifically claiming this, but to be fair it's been years), to which they said relatively early out that they thought about it and realised they'd either have to delay the game a bunch to do the optimisations necessary or deal with a highly variable frame rate, so they chose to lock it at 30 FPS. it's not like they waited until the game came out to just let people find out. what part of the game looks so much worse than the original trailer?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bobjr posted:

Also didn't the first stuff come out before all the rewrites and changes?

yeah, but that only really affected the narrative, I'd imagine--not gameplay

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
3 had a bunch of melodrama about how Drake and Elena separated, 2 had Jeff getting offed by Lazarevic in cold blood and the Tibetan village getting basically massacred, so I dunno what you mean. they've always had ridiculous and serious things combined in the same game

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the most unrealistic thing in TLoU was the metal pipe breaking after like 8 uses. I did like that you could just duct tape some scissors/nails to it, though, and then you just have a sharp, death pipe to gently caress people up with.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

malkav11 posted:

For what it's worth, dolphins are not nearly as pleasant as their reputation would lead you to believe. They can be quite violent and have been known to do things like gang rape female dolphins for days on end, kill other males' babies (because that gets the female ready to reproduce again), bludgeon porpoises to death for no immediately apparent reason, and bite and ram humans (or, sometimes, try to mate with them). See for example http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/06/health/evidence-puts-dolphins-in-new-light-as-killers.html

on the other hand:

http://justingregg.com/the-dolphin-rape-myth/

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No theyre avtually counting on angry pirates since when drug lord guy shows up uninvited they sic them on him.

now to work on my Uncharted 4/Sonic 3 and Knuckles crossover fanfic.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rather Watch Them posted:

I want to see Naughty Dog reboot the Jak series.

The Daxter of Us

don't worry, Activision will just make a questionable-looking remake of it later.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my anecdote is that I have a launch model PS2 that never had any disc read errors and still works fine today with the original DS2s

my PS1 definitely only worked sideways though, but to be fair I also tripped on one of the cables once.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
ah yes, Victor Sullivan, that altruistic paragon of virtue with no blood on his hands and who never swindles anyone for personal gain.

Sully is a great character, but let's not pretend he's somehow above the kinds of things Nate does. hell, Sully brought him up to do just that.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Sam was the one who fell with Nadine and he didn't seem particularly beat up either (he was on his hands and knees, but he didn't seem to be in much pain, and he was able to scamper quickly to the gun). for all we know, Sam could have broken part of Nadine's fall or something, or they could have fallen on a slightly softer part of the ground. Nadine just stood up first, while Nate took a breather and Sam chose to look for the gun.

double nine posted:

This. Sam didn't ruin Nate's marriage, he did that one on his own. Sam's deception sucks balls but this doesn't absolve Nate being a dickheaded moron by deceiving Elena several times.

It doesn't make Nate not a moron for not telling Elena, but Sam's still an absolute shithead for lying about his life being on the line when really he's just a selfish bastard. Playing on the fact that your brother thought you were dead for the last two decades and probably doesn't want you to die right after he finds you again, just to get the treasure you always wanted is a dick move. Sam is a terrible brother, especially since he's had multiple opportunities to see the things Nate has been doing to his own life because of the lie and has continually decided to not tell the truth. He's not even the one who finally tells Nate--Rafe has to expose it, and Sam shows basically no guilt about the whole thing.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 30, 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

That's one way of looking at it, but then I think of that scene in the attic or coming into the house where Elena was waiting and realize that if Sam didn't lie he could've still convinced Nate to go even if it took more time or whatever. All I'm really seeing is an excuse and selfish rationalization of Nate wanting to do treasure hunting, and not wanting to look like a bad guy while doing it. Just like why he stopped Sam from shooting Nadine even though he's totally okay with offing hundreds of goons that probably wouldn't be there because of her, or maybe it's because he's just dumb. "You can't kill her, she has a name. And who else are we gonna be the hand-to-hand boss fight?"

in what world where Nate has repeatedly said "it's not worth it; I've seen how this goes" before Sam says "But I'll die, remember, and it'll be your fault for not helping me" do you think that Nate is still just treasure hungry and using Sam as a justification?

yes, he enjoys doing it, but even he thinks the stakes here are too high, and he's only along because of Sam. without the lie, there'd have been no reason to run off without telling Elena at all, because he could walk away, and even if he did get interested later, Elena's been trying to good him into doing more adventurous things lately anyway so he could have run with that. he has wanted to walk away from this at almost every turn, but Sam always pulls him back with "What about my life, Nathan?" and the guilt Nate has felt for not knowing Sam was alive for the last two decades and leaving him there in prison.

what I'm saying is Sam is the real villain of Uncharted 4

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Nate isn't a great fighter, but neither are the mooks he fights, which is why he wins. there's no reason to expect that he should be able to take on Nadine, even with Sam, who has been in prison forever before just getting out and probably isn't a great fighter himself, so I don't understand why some people in this thread find it unreasonable that she keeps loving up Nate and Sam's day in a fight

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Did UC3 have a supernatural element? I thought it turned out to all be :catdrugs: in the water.

I mean, there was Talbot's mind control dart and the stuff in the urn that was arguably supernatural. I dunno if the fire demon things were entirely hallucinations or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ManSedan posted:

So fun fact: at the end of Episode 16, after the Drake brothers look through the big Avery telescope and see Scary Island, Nathan says that they can't get excited until they save Sam from Alcazar. Sam sighs and says, "ok..." before Nate cuts him off (then Rafes boats show up). The inflection sounded like Sam was gonna explain something... maybe he was about to come clean about the drug lord?

Edit: maybe not. When the Drake boys are arguing after they meet back up on Scary Island Sam declares they're buying his life back.

I think it was more disappointment that Nate wasn't excited/treasure-hungry like he was to go out and find Avery's treasure. like Sam just wants Nate to be as into this as he is and doesn't understand that Nate is pretty much only along to save his brother's life because he's not Uncharted 3 anymore.

• Locked thread