Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

While I'm sure Scotland has some sort of gun control laws, isn't that whole region supposed to be Rafe's private property? They were keeping out trespassers.

Yeah, Rafe owns all of that, so technically Shoreline is in the clear on that one.

King's Bay, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

CJacobs posted:

He's been calling Sully 'Sullivan' occasionally for the whole game so far (he did it earlier in this very episode) and as dumb as it sounds it's actually been legitimately bothering me.

It's what Sam calls him. Sam is rubbing off on Nate.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Any locale that bears a sufficient resemblance to Tortuga isn't allowed to have any laws. It's the law.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Really Pants posted:

Any locale that bears a sufficient resemblance to Tortuga isn't allowed to have any laws. It's the law.

Well I am just gonna loot the bar at that pirate fantasy restaurant then

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

General Ironicus posted:

It's what Sam calls him. Sam is rubbing off on Nate.

Sam's pretty insistent in calling him "Victor" at all times and that definitely sounds weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jeez, this game, this game.

I feel like this game is going to suffer from the classic sequel problem, the narrative is going to feel like the story is finished and these people should just be left to live their lives, but the game is so amazing that it feels like a shame if they didn't make more. How much of the crazy poo poo in this game is built into the engine and how much is just lovingly crafted, I have no idea.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Way to gently caress up Nathan.

Also, it kinda looks like him in Monkey Island 2.

It's pretty much exactly how he looks in Tales of Monkey Island.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

No mustache

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bunnyofdoom posted:

No mustache

Uncharted takes place in an alternate universe where Guybrush decided to grow out the peach fuzz and therefore never went on happy go lucky pirate adventures. Instead he went on totally serious pyrate adventures.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Threepwood's Tales outfit is based directly on his second game appearance, anyway. And it is his most piratical outfit, so no wonder everyone keeps reusing it.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Uncharted takes place in an alternate universe where Guybrush decided to grow out the peach fuzz and therefore never went on happy go lucky pirate adventures. Instead he went on totally serious pyrate adventures.

Or Guybrush dropped a razor a week before posing for that portrait.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sully hasn't gone by Victor consistently since he was an adult film star in the 70's named Slick Vic.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bobjr posted:

Sully hasn't gone by Victor consistently since he was an adult film star in the 70's named Slick Vic.

In the 70's or in his 70's?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

KieranWalker posted:

Yeah, Rafe owns all of that, so technically Shoreline is in the clear on that one.

King's Bay, on the other hand...

Just because he owns it doesn't mean his private security can carry whatever guns they want. Or maybe they can, I don't know what Scotland's laws on self-defense are.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

bunnyofdoom posted:

In the 70's or in his 70's?

yes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Like, how many games shown off at E3 actually live up to the hype they create?

Very few, and Uncharted 4 doesn't count as one of them.

Remember that first teaser that was tooootally in engine footage and the gameplay was going to be 60 FPS?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't wait to see what terrible secret Libertalia hides.

It's filled with internet libertarians.

When they arrive they have to face off against 500 unwashed neckbeards screaming about their purestrain gold.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Remember that first teaser that was tooootally in engine footage and the gameplay was going to be 60 FPS?

maybe I just don't have good eyes, but this doesn't really look particularly better than the actual game to me, and all of the game is in-engine without CGI cutscenes.

also people care about 60 FPS too much. the game plays great at 30, and I don't really remember them making a selling point out of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

With Victor Sullivan, "His 70s" doesn't narrow things down as much as it might normally.

A better question regards the hundreds digit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

morallyobjected posted:

maybe I just don't have good eyes, but this doesn't really look particularly better than the actual game to me, and all of the game is in-engine without CGI cutscenes.

also people care about 60 FPS too much. the game plays great at 30, and I don't really remember them making a selling point out of it.
edit: never mind that's the one you linked, just a different video :downs:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Clarste posted:

While I'm sure Scotland has some sort of gun control laws, isn't that whole region supposed to be Rafe's private property? They were keeping out trespassers.

"Keeping out tresspassers" rarely involves "shoot them dead on sight."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ometeotl posted:

I guess I should have said "played live at E3" instead.

I don't really count early CGI teasers since the game's still in development at that point, so why would they have that many art assets and a working game engine running visuals of that level of fidelity when there's still two or three years left to make the game?

AAA games simply don't look like that when they're three years out from release, they're still mostly code and featureless gray blocks. The game would look like the top half of this image around the time that teaser trailer was released, and wouldn't look like the bottom half until close to a year left in development.

So, yeah, 30 second long teaser trailers? Lies, ever single one of them, and this game is also on the hook for that.

Game actually being played live onstage? Often times also lies, so I'm impressed that this game actually looks as good now as it looked then.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Jetrauben posted:

Clearly you've never been to the south, or Wyoming.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

Well they didn't shoot anyone dead did they? Looks like they're in the clear.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Do PMC's face any sort of legal repercussions for doing this, like are shoreline going to get a big fine?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I guess I should have said "played live at E3" instead.

I don't really count early CGI teasers since the game's still in development at that point, so why would they have that many art assets and a working game engine running visuals of that level of fidelity when there's still two or three years left to make the game?

AAA games simply don't look like that when they're three years out from release, they're still mostly code and featureless gray blocks. The game would look like the top half of this image around the time that teaser trailer was released, and wouldn't look like the bottom half until close to a year left in development.

So, yeah, 30 second long teaser trailers? Lies, ever single one of them, and this game is also on the hook for that.

Game actually being played live onstage? Often times also lies, so I'm impressed that this game actually looks as good now as it looked then.

That's fair. It's just unfortunate that Naughty Dog did the Ubisoft/EA thing and really went out of their way to lie about the teaser footage.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do PMC's face any sort of legal repercussions for doing this, like are shoreline going to get a big fine?

Well, looking at blackwater....

No

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

That's fair. It's just unfortunate that Naughty Dog did the Ubisoft/EA thing and really went out of their way to lie about the teaser footage.

you keep saying this and the only thing they maybe misled people about was whether it was going to be in 60 FPS the whole time (I can't remember them specifically claiming this, but to be fair it's been years), to which they said relatively early out that they thought about it and realised they'd either have to delay the game a bunch to do the optimisations necessary or deal with a highly variable frame rate, so they chose to lock it at 30 FPS. it's not like they waited until the game came out to just let people find out. what part of the game looks so much worse than the original trailer?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Also technically that trailer just says it's running on PS4 hardware, it doesn't say it's in-engine footage. I don't know what other claims were made at the time, but the trailer itself isn't actually lying. Misleading could definitely be argued, though.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Good to see Guybrush passed the hidden 4th pirate test: Being Photogenetic.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also didn't the first stuff come out before all the rewrites and changes?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bobjr posted:

Also didn't the first stuff come out before all the rewrites and changes?

yeah, but that only really affected the narrative, I'd imagine--not gameplay

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Was Guybrush a pirate? I thought Mancomb Seepgood was the pirate and Guybrush just went around selling fine leather jackets.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Brutakas posted:

Was Guybrush a pirate? I thought Mancomb Seepgood was the pirate and Guybrush just went around selling fine leather jackets.
Guybrush wasn't a pirate, he was a Mighty Pirate. :colbert:

Mancomb Seepgood, meanwhile, met a grisly fate at the hands of Edward Kenway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Doc Morbid posted:

Guybrush wasn't a pirate, he was a Mighty Pirate. :colbert:

Mancomb Seepgood, meanwhile, met a grisly fate at the hands of Edward Kenway.

Nonsense. He joined a street fighting ring in Toussaint.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Clarste posted:

Scottish Gun laws are basically as strict as the rest of the UK.

You can own a Shotgun, or long barreled pistol that's not easily concelable. Or a .22 Rifle.

If you can get a gun license.

This requires.

Passing a background check.

A Character reference from a 'reputable' source. (Remember I said basically. This is an extra requirement unique to Scotland).

Demonstrating a need for a firearm.

The latter is ironclad. Wanting a gun, is not a valid reason for owning one. You'd better be a working farmer or someone else who can demonstrate they have a legitimate use for a shotgun. To further illustrate this. The English Olympic shooting team trains abroad, as it's too much of a hassle gettin permission at home.

As for Assault Rifles and similar, forget about it. Private property or not. Totaly illegal, especially for unliscensed foreign nationals.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Deptfordx posted:

The latter is ironclad. Wanting a gun, is not a valid reason for owning one. You'd better be a working farmer or someone else who can demonstrate they have a legitimate use for a shotgun.

…like being a mum.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Zurai posted:

Also technically that trailer just says it's running on PS4 hardware, it doesn't say it's in-engine footage. I don't know what other claims were made at the time, but the trailer itself isn't actually lying. Misleading could definitely be argued, though.

There were claims made by ND employees about the first trailer running real-time on actual PS4 hardware and a bunch of banging on the 60 FPS drum in general. So yeah, I guess you can argue they were being at least semi-intentionally misleading. :shrug:

But the real question is, who gives a poo poo

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

There was a gameplay demo after the announcement with Liquid Sam gunning for revenge and the Madagascar chase but the LP hasnt gotten to the segment yet. I imagine thats where the 60 fps came from

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Deptfordx posted:

The latter is ironclad. Wanting a gun, is not a valid reason for owning one.

Makes sense to me! :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Man, I can't wait for Chip to LP Watch_Dogs 2.

Links are :nws:

• Locked thread