Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
IT ENDS!

Well it's the beginning of the end.

End is in the title.

I'ma watch the video now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And this is why Nate will always be poor for what he does. Because being rich in this line of work means you're evil. Nate's too good to be evil!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sam never used gloves. If Nathan had only bit a bit stronger and had a better grip he could have saved him. Thus he continues to train his hands to be the mightiest in loving memory of Sam. Gloves are for the weak.

morallyobjected posted:

I asked it that way because I couldn't remember any specific instances that made Sam's existence ret-conned from previous games (granted it's been a while since I've played the first three), so it seemed like all the complaints were just about him not being mentioned in the first three games, which didn't seem unreasonable to me based on how Nate thought he was dead and it was probably his fault.

the insertion might be a little clunky at times--I just didn't see any reasons it was impossible and was looking for some concrete evidence otherwise

That's essentially the crux of it though, it's both ret-conny and clunky enough for people to ask logical questions and have the holes exposed in the story. Where was Sam when Nate met Sully? Why/how did he allow Nate to live (implicitly) as a street urchin in South America? Why hasn't Nate mentioned he had a brother beforehand? (Sam 'dying' is an insufficient excuse.)

Sam being Nate's brother, right now, appears to be more for the sake of drama than the sake of the story. He could easily have been a good childhood buddy for his involvement in the series.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Drake was disappointed that all he found was copper but for real that much copper you would be rich if you sold a whole spool of that off to sombody.

Except he's got Salvager bills to pay, permits to get, salaries, all that sort of stuff. It adds up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nathan would probably be able to do pretty well in academia if it weren't for his kleptomania and the fact that he ends up destroying every ruin he finds.

I don't know why Elena is encouraging him to go off the straight and narrow, they seem to be alright financially. They could just go on another vacation instead.

Because it's fairly obvious that Nathan's going through Treasure withdrawal. The small stuff he finds while salvaging keeps him going but he's really hankering for his next big thing and there's this Malaysia job where everything is good except the permits it seems like it would be a nice, 'safe' risk to take.

Elena has already forgotten that sending him on a treasure hunt means something's going to explode horribly and collapse, but she's only been on what, two of his adventures total?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Not to mention he'd ruin yet another archeological masterpiece city.

I mean, the world's kind of running out of those.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tippis posted:

Yeah, isn't the entire point of that scene to make her earn the bad-rear end credentials that have only been hinted at in conversation up until that point?

It also fulfills the 'Nate loses at the beginning so now when they have their confrontation at the end of the game it feels satisfying' standard that's been in all of these games.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

If that's your standard, Salim and Tenzin no longer work.
Salim and Tenzin work because the former tells you all you need to know about him, the latter has a language barrier preventing communication with him and both are from societies that Drake and his buddies simply do no interact with.

Regardless the actual problem here is more that they've overused the worldbuilding aspect of 'everyone has a history with someone else' card. However, this is true for a bunch of their plot beats:
Rafe is the antagonist that Drake has directly worked with/personal experience ala Marlow and that dude from 2.
The bad guys have had tons of time to find the thing but they're missing the one piece of the puzzle that Drake happens to have/stole from them.
The aforementioned 'Nate loses now to make the victory later better' bit with Nadine.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Doing it a few times to emphasize how good of friends specific people are is fine, but doing it multiple times in the same game with people of all alignments is cheap.
Originally I was confused over this since I thought it was just Nadine that was getting this treatment (Rafe being accounted for.)

Then it hit me, the real problem isn't with Nadine, it's with Sam. How does Sam know Sully? Sully being famous is one thing but there's conflicting inflections here and not enough evidence to decisively answer that question (contrast to Nadine in which we get a very clear gist of how she and Sully know one another.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Little_wh0re posted:

Scotland doesn't have nice weather ever sully you liar

Rain is nice :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CJacobs posted:

... they were richer-than-god supervillains commanding entire nations of people.

His name is Guybrush Threepwood and he is the Mightiest Pyrate I will have you know good sir :colbert:

To be more on point, these elaborate structures built by lost civilizations is something of a thing in the Uncharted games. It's not really new. What is new is the sheer scale compared to the people that built them this time. I mean, you don't expect Pyrates to exhibit traits of master City Planners and masonry/gadgetry. Clearly Avery was such a masterful rogue of the sea that he stole everyone's perception of him being the late-1600's early-1700's version of Archimedes.

I suspect a pretty big payoff is coming from all the architectural buildup we've seen so far.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

This is why Puns are the worst.
It's not that they're bad.

It's that everyone has and is able to chime in with their own.

Save us Nathan Drake. Save us from ourselves!
... Oh right, save yourself first too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I can't believe Samuel Drake Lied to Us.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

Rafe is kind of an idiot. If he decides that he only needs one Drake, why chose the one who was stuck for 2 years before betraying him, rather than the competent, somewhat gullible one, who got duped into killing countless people and ruining his marriage by the first one?

Maybe he still has Sam on his payroll and wants to circumvent a visit with HR when Nate gets employed.

To me it was more of a 'Even if Sam totally duped me after everything, he still worked with me. While Nate walked away and hasn't come back after that time.'

Plus Nadine seems to really, really hate Nate's guts. Probably because of something Sully did.
Sully :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

"It's a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle."

"Oh comon they were on sale at our Pyrate Mart so I spent my portion of everyone's treasure on them because they're just so useful!"

• Locked thread