Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Problem description: My computer's wifi will connect, stay connected but refuse to connect to the internet after about five to ten seconds later even though it says its connected.

Attempted fixes:

1. Updated my drivers. The item in question is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter. I right clicked the device manager tab> Update Driver Software> Browse My Computer for Driver Software> Let Me Pick> Clicked (Previously mentioned driver software) version 12.0.0.102. This was the top one as strangely there are two identical ones in spot one and two with no discernible difference between them. I've used both and restarted with no changes. Same behavior.

2. Changed power management settings. Originally the computer had the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checked. I unchecked it. Still no change after a restart.

3. Used the command prompt with the following lines:

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global

Again I restarted. No joy. I've not really found any more answers online after a few hours of googling.

Recent changes: No new changes. This is a new computer as of just a weeks ago and has been ongoing since day one. I finally just now really have the ability to address it.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

System specs: Machine manufacturer: Lenovo
Model number: ideacentre 700 - 25ISH.
Processor: i5 - 6400 2.7GHz
HDD: 1 TB
RAM: 8G

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Other notes:

I've run through the previous more obvious tech support stuff. Resetting my wireless router, checking if the internet works on another computer (it does work with my laptop with no interruptions) and what's the worst is that sometimes it will run for half an hour or an hour or more with no problems, but far more often than not it doesn't work for more than five to ten seconds. This bad behavior comprises most of the day and normal connectivity is the exception and not the rule. I can disconnect and reconnect from the wireless with the internet access button in the lower right hand corner, but then it almost immediately stops working. I'm not at all sure what I'm doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like your machine has a defective wireless adapter, since it has never worked. Return it to the place you purchased it from for a refund.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

• Locked thread