Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Huh maybe we should have nuclear inspectors in Iran. Like from the IAEA or something. Maybe we should even have like live camera feeds in key facilities. Maybe we should have periodic checks on whether they're enriching beyond agreed limits. Just to be safe let's replace the head of the IAEA with a partisan guy who will take the U.S. side on the issues. Also let's enact sanctions even if Iran adheres to the NPT but like, we don't feel like they really mean it. Hmm. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

For real though, even the CIA's conclusion was that Iran finished most of their preliminary work on a bomb in 2003. If they wanted a bomb at this point it would just be a matter of enrichment, hence the nuclear deal to reduce their breakout capacity such that it would take a year, during which time they could not keep their intentions secret. That's the whole point. If Iran chooses to start building a bomb, everyone will know, like if there are Morgan Webb nude photos.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

System Metternich posted:

poo poo, Iran has invaded America!? :eek:

Clearly he's talking about the Japanese in the second line which is a huge non-sequitur but yeah Japan is "building" fission bombs the same way Iran is.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Starshark posted:

Is there some reason we're calling them fission bombs instead of just nukes or something I'm confused.

I mean it does kind of drive the point home that even if Iran had double secret probation centrifuges and sources of uranium that they could still only build a bomb to be delivered by plane right now and we're pretty good at shooting down planes (also there is, I am told, an ocean between the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran though I freely admit I am no professional geographer).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Actually it's just a couple rivers between Iran and Israel.

If one were worried about Israel being nuked one might consider non-proliferation a much more important goal than minimizing Iranian hegemony but rabid Jew-hating anti-Semites like Netanyahu see it differently...

• Locked thread