Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the big lies of fascism is that it can be all cool and detached while instituting its brutality.

I think both episodes are very notable in that it was common knowledge even back then that torture is only good for forcing false confessions, and somehow between then and now so much pop culture started just accepting the idea of torture as a way to get people to tell the truth.

Do you have any allergies or illnesses I should be aware of ? Are you currently taking any medication ? Have you had any trouble with your heart ?

Intersections would have been the greatest season-finale cliffhanger of all time. it's still one of my favorite hours of television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

A spacefighter game like freespace

Comrade, do I have good news for you.

http://babylon.hard-light.net/gallery1.php

Full-up Freespace 2 total conversion for B5.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Payndz posted:

The space battle choreography* was several steps above anything else on TV at the time, even if the models are low-poly by today's standards. The fluid action in 'Severed Dreams' still stands up now.

There's a long shot in No Surrender, No Retreat with a tiny Whitestar in the foreground and action happening in the middle and distant fields. It gave a real sense of scope and scale.

What the models really need is new textures. More polys is a luxury when you're using 256x256 8-bit textures with not a proper shader in sight. I'd prefer the models don't get touched unless you can keep the original animation. Can you imagine cringing at the Starfury flyby at the end of the S3 credits every time because they didn't get it quite right ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Nnnnnnnno?

Odds are we'll never know for sure.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

"Oh cool, Interludes and Examinations is up next, that was a good episode."

"Oh poo poo, this is THAT episode." x3

"John, I don't have a lot of time."

"Goddammit."

My rewatch has gotten into the good stuff. Man, when this first aired there was this shocked silence afterwards that you could detect over a dialup connection. Then the newsgroup melted down, almost as bad as the Red Wedding. People were upset. Not as many people mind you, but people were hurt.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ah Byron, the saccharine cult leader.

Remember the spokesperson telepath from A Race Through Dark Places ? Lisp, physically challenged, really impressed with what Ironheart gave Talia ? Now imagine the whole Byron saga but that actor.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

remusclaw posted:

I just finished the series and goddam I was warned but was not prepared for the waterworks to get going with Sleeping in Light. What a fantastic show and what a heartfelt ending.

The ending is the show's greatest recommendation. If you're trying to sell someone on committing to watch B5, tell them "you know how fans complain about the ending of every show ever ? The B5 endings are universally loved. yes, there are two."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

So, By Any Means Necessary... I was WAY more engaged in the flower plot than the A plot on the strike.

Please tell me the acting gets better. The labor negotiator and senator are atrocious.

Characters as bit-part-y as the Senator, not so much. New character coming in for one episode's A plot ? Yes. Recurring characters like Neroon and Bester, the recurring cast starts great and finishes great. Jeffrey Coombs only appears in one episode, but he was busy with DS9.

I do think that the character of the labor negotiator should have shown up again a few times. They didn't have the right casting for thatso we got one of the dockworkers instead.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

epenthesis posted:

Just don’t actually watch the movies in between 5.21 and 5.22, even if that’s where they fit chronologically. I would also put “In the Beginning” between seasons 4 and 5 rather than before the pilot, even though it’s much better.

I don't think the spoilers in In the Beginning are so bad that it doesn't make a good intro to the series.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I enjoy the characters, and enjoy revisiting them, which comes from knowing the characters well already.

Yeah, the spending time with old friends feeling. This show has it. And on a re-watch, the rough edges can be excused because you know where they were going with whatever thing, and it's easier to enjoy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The openers and how they evolve over time makes b5 openers some of the best ones for television.

I'm two episodes into S04 this week, and wow do I miss the grandeur that was the S03 opening music.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was under the impression it was just an evolution of the UN rather than conflict?

Yeah, but if you then amalgamate everybody's navies and air forces on either manpower or budget basis, USAF and USN get to write most of the traditions for whatever service they end up helping to found. China gets a couple of picks. Russia probably gets to make everyone wear that snazzy blue-striped shirt, and... the Brits and the French might get some say about something. And that's where EarthForce traditions come from.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

That was an excellent moment.

I have so many thoughts about that episode but cannot process them quick enough to get down. G'kar was masterful. Everything was just perfectly laid out and then executed.

And it's only S02E09!

Anyone who stalls out in S1 is advised to skip forward to the Coming of Shadows as an alternative to quitting. It's masterful hour of television, and should leave them motivated to get through S1.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Blindeye posted:

If you got through infection, you'll do fine with the show.

The saving grace of season 1 is the steady increase in quality. every episode, the remaining episodes of he show increase in average quality; even TKO has the Ivanova story to boost it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Yeesh this is a three parter?? Guess I'm staying up late.

Yes. Yes you are. I've shown the three-parter to people who weren't likely to pick up the show, treating it like "just" an SF movie. It's been universally well-received.

Did The Coming of Shadows blow your boots off ? The show is about to make you eat them.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This I feel is Peter Capaldi's seminal work.

I had just opened a new window to go find that when I thought for a second, said "Nahhh" and relied on someone else to link it. Thank you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly.
All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath . . . waiting.
All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both.
G'Quon wrote, There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way.
The war we fight is not against powers and principalities – it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.
The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation.
No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain

JMS's great strength as a writer is the ability to put stuff like this together and have it work on the page as well as spoken by a good actor.
Andreas Katsulas' great strength as an actor was to take material like this and make it magnificent. I wonder who's decision it was to have G'Kar be almost whispering for this delivery. I want to believe it was Katsulas.

It was G'Kar speaking through him, great actors have that happen to them with great characters.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vavrek posted:

Starting on S2 in my rewatch and I just noticed that Ivanova has a really clear :stare: when Sheridan says it's been two years since his last orange. You have to wonder how much that's "Wow, that's a long time with no oranges," and how much it's "Oh god, right, now I remember serving under this man before, I'm going to be hearing about loving oranges every day."

S2, mid-late spoiler: Given how much he talks about it being two years since his wife died, when he first really talks about that at length, I was struck by the fact that it's the same exact length of time since his last orange. Maybe he responded to grief by avoiding it, staying on his ship and at work (away from fruit), which would explain why it's still so raw for him when he confronts Morden.

That's a good catch and some good writing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

I always wanted to get one of the Kosh action figures, seal it up, and put the ink, polyhedron, and clear window from the popular fortune telling toy in it. You can’t tell me Magic 8 Kosh wouldn’t have flown off the shelves.

If they had, I'd still have mine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pick posted:

there are a hundred fanfictions of marcus and neroon. there are three of them over 100,000 words long that were written by different people. one is a quarter-million words long. I am NOT trying to be saucy and contrary but what the hell

Now I'm going to have to forget something I wanted to know.

I'm finishing up S4 i my rewatch. E21 has the best material Claudia Christian ever got in her career and the hard-as-nails acting president. She really helped make the episode work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Q_res posted:

Isn't that what happened to Sheridan in the finale?

Said, not shown.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Goonspeed !

I'm following this, I've got the drat thing bookmarked and I'm going to be eyeing it, and some of the Star Wars sets until your trip report comes in.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Just started s3 with the wife. When the new intro said ‘it failed’ she said ‘oh poo poo’.

That intro is so loving good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

power crystals posted:

Hi I don't think I have ever said anything in this thread before, I just lurk off and on, but having more money than sense I have ordered one. If and when it shows up (estimated January 15th, don't hold your breath) I will post a trip report. Assuming that yeah I can actually figure out how to build the drat thing, I am deeply curious what the hell it's going to include for instructions given the above.

Also it is in part about a war in among the stars so it seems about as accurate as the rest of the item descriptions on AliExpress.

Did it ever show up ? Were there instructions or do we deal with the nice Aussie person for those ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I just finished my third re-watch. All of the feels are still there, just like when it first aired. For the last two episodes my eyes were tearing up continuously.

So awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Next 4 episodes are going to be quite hard on you

In the most beautiful way possible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I'm right at the spot in S4 where she starts clearly saying "Why does nobody ever come to me unless they want something?" I really enjoy how she has her own agency and isn't just a device for the episode's plot, building to S5's "Yes, that's a nice plan and all, but what do I get out of it? I need rent money."

One dinner invitation would have saved so much trouble.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Has anyone translated the Internationale to Minbari?

Are we sure it wasn't translated from Minbari ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dirty posted:

Proof, if it was needed, that the greatness of B5's CGI was not in the quality of the assets, but how they were shot.

Yeah, the models need more polygons, and the textures are of woefully low resolution, but the animation is rock solid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Babylon 5: We are paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate.

Go with this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ThingOne posted:

It's been a while since I stopped my watchthrough and I left myself with a hell of an episode to come back to :stare:. The cut from Molari complaining about Earth's civil war to Major Ryan having to shoot down his friend's ship gave me whiplash. ISN being taken off air was surprisingly intense for a 90s TV series and I loved how the Narn recruits charged straight past Garibaldi's defensive position and into Earthforce's guns, showing they were motivated but inexperienced when it came to actual combat.

Sweet ! That's the turning point (and halfway mark) of the series as a whole. As of now, bigger things start happening faster for a season and a half. Strap the gently caress in. In season 5, all this comes home to roost.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lindesy rules, get over it and move on.

Okay, yeah, genocidal maniac, but... Okay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The whole use of Bester is really masterful storytelling. These days having a (mostly) bad guy be a compelling character is par for the course, but Bester showed the way.

It's interesting that we didn't see a lot of the psychological fallout from the two "just" wars in the show; the Shadow War and the Earth Civil War. Well, except for Garibaldi really not trusting Lockley. I suppose it just hadn't set in for most people.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I'd imagine in garibaldi's case it's a holdover from the earth-membari war and he just kept on flight status for the flight pay.

I don't recall Garibaldi being established as actual military-military, more of a law enforcement type. But he has been shown piloting shuttles, so maybe he can handle a Starfury from Point X to Point Y, but would be cold meat in combat in one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SubNat posted:

And some plot threads really seem to simmer for a long time, it does make me wonder how it was to watch this in realtime, where it would have been months between Garibaldy's plot thread in S4 getting started, then put on the backburner, then started to get brought back into focus.

It was exquisite torture. The wait for the next season has never since been as long as it was for Babylon 5. But I think the worst/best was the gap before the last 4 episodes of Season 2. Those were very CGI (and plot) heavy, so they neededa couple of months. And then the wait was over and people's minds were blown. Usenet exploded every week for a month. It was amazing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I do feel like it was maybe the first (or among the first) such scene where completely incongruous music was used to amazing dramatic effect.

I like to think of everything from the warm jazz space battle music of Cowboy Bebop to the retro synth navel-gazing soundtrack of the climax of Uncut Gems as owing a debt to it.

Babylon 5 did benefit from an outstanding soundtrack.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Basically, think and act like a Vorlon.

<*ouch*>

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Or just go nuts and cast this guy as Byron, or the Byron-analogue:

drat right, I've been saying that for years. He's back from wherever he went after the underground railroad episode. And now he has followers.

Don't change a line.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Yea this whole bit is very clearly spelled out in Sheridan's dream with his father.

Goddamn but that's a good scene. I'm almost sorry they wasted the actor on, what, two scenes as Sheridan's dad. He's absolutely perfect delivering Kosh's last message.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Oh man, that sucks. I was hoping by mentioning that the poster who dropped the coin for it would chime in with a sweet pic. Hope you were able to do a claim on your credit card.

I'm planning to get a set of instructions and list of bricks, and source it domestically later this year. After my gunpla backlog gets cut down some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Oh god...: season 3 intro.

“It failed.” Boom boom baaaaa boom boom baaa.

Love that intro. First time I saw it my mind was blown.

Combined with the excellently rigged shot of one Starfury shooting down another it has a hell of an impact. That shot is also why I insist that for fixing the CGI, you can update the textures, you can swap in models with more or better ploygons, but you don't touch the loving rigging.The scene composition averages as good, and there's a fair amount of "superb" and 'textbook" in seasons 3 and 4.

e. God bless the blind watch thread for falling in love with Na'toth. And lol at modern viewers immediately hating Garibaldi because cop. That's one of those things that proves that beauty is truth and truth is beauty.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 14, 2020