Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

That or an adventure game with all of Babylon 5 explorable.

Bug report: Gray Sector has only 29 levels instead of the expected 30.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

1990s Very Good Friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh79QUiU4Qo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Iymarra posted:

Also they ranked TKO as one of the best episodes so let me just retrieve my soul from orbit.

The B plot with Ivanova was good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Every Vorlon reaches into a box and pulls out a green or purple ship.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I kept waiting for some bold entrepreneur to smuggle a few chickens onto the station and get rich selling the eggs.

Forget being a drug kingpin, I want to run the breakfast cartel.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rappaport posted:

The Centauri, as depicted in that scene, are shooting blue goop balls that are somehow within their guns, and it serves to illustrate the point that Londo is seeing that, being dismayed at what he has done, and we don't need a lesson in orbital mechanics, which would be involved in capturing asteroids!, to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4b37ygojw

The projectiles are clearly just big rocks. We even get a closeup of the first one. Yes, the rocks do glow for a moment after being shot, presumably due to leftover technobabble energy, but even so, you can see they're still rocks, tumbling end over end.

(If you want to nitpick something about this scene, nitpick that the rocks reach the planet WAY too quickly.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rappaport posted:

It is all just "space wizard did it", but asteroids have their own orbital elements, and momentum, and so on, which can't just be shoved into a cannon that shoots blue goop balls. It's fine that the Centauri have blue goop balls, but it is a narrative disjoint for G'kar to call them asteroids. None of this diminishes what the show wants to portray.

They. Have. Spaceships. They went out and found some space rocks of about the right size. They flew up to those rocks, grabbed them, and put them in the mass driver cannons. Then they flew to Narn and shot them at the planet.

Why are you insisting that none of this could have happened unless they showed us the orbital mechanics calculations?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Jedit posted:

If you've ever smelled chicken poo poo, you'll know why you don't want to introduce hens to a closed ventilation loop and why they would be impossible to hide. Red Sector has special filtration systems for the aliens with unique atmospheric needs, but anywhere else? No way.

Put the chicken coop next to the pak'ma'ra section, no one will notice it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We know the Clarke regime was sophisticated with their propaganda and disinformation, and it was one of their top priorities to shut down dissenting voices. Perhaps Lochley (along with most others in the military) only saw what they wanted her to see, and so believed the "official" version or interpretation of most events.

And there's also the fact that even if she had sympathized with Sheridan's side, actually throwing in with his faction would probably mean enough mutiny and treason charges to get her executed a dozen times over. Defecting is a big deal. It's all well and good for us to say she should have taken a stand and joined the good guys, but actually doing so would be a gigantic decision, and an even bigger gamble. Yes, lots of people in the Earth military did make that choice, but undoubtedly there were many more who secretly wanted to, but just didn't dare.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Prurient Squid posted:

Is this a thread for Babylon 5 or is it a thread for some Babylon 5 reboot? If the latter then is there a Babylon 5 thread?

This is the general-purpose Babylon 5 thread, yes. News of the future reboot (which may or may not even happen) has a home here, but it's mostly for discussion of the good old 90s show.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Well, the man obviously knows more about the TV biz than I do (and probably than anyone here), so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Still, it strikes me as odd that his point boils down to "there's no such thing as a project getting stuck forever in development hell". Maybe that's more of a movie-biz thing? :shrug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Midjack posted:

At least one person came here after completing their watch but I don't think they stuck around long.

Hello there, made my start in the blind watch thread and I'm still here. :wave:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CainFortea posted:

What does the centauri do in this episode? I remember it as being the whole psychic password Winters sendoff thing.

I think Tom Guycot is using HBO Max ordering, which makes that episode The Long, Twilight Struggle -- so, the bombardment and fall of the Narn homeworld.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

sebmojo posted:

The purely serialized format can also lead to some deeply tedious tv tbh. I actually think buffy and b5 got a really good balance.

Agreed. I've used B5 as an example of getting the long-story-arc thing right, especially when compared to modern TV that treats a season as a single 10-hour movie and so specific episodes tend not to have an identity of their own.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm getting a mite frustrated that I can't point out to Tom the small fundamental error that is misshaping his thinking, even though it's all been laid out for him right from the opening of the pilot, because it would give away too much. He's coming at the show in the mindset that it's the story of the Shadow War, but it isn't. It's the history of the dawn of the Third Age of Mankind. The Shadow War was pivotal in that, but it's only the backdrop.

To be fair, a LOT of people made/make that same assumption. It's the conventional way to structure a show -- Deep Space Nine ended when the Dominion War did, to pick an example totally at random.

As I recall, my own reaction to Into The Fire was full of things like "You're SURE this isn't the series finale? Because it sure feels like it."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The season 5 finale is kinda weak.

I hope you're talking about Objects at Rest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The "something wonderful" quote is from 2010, the sequel to 2001, but hey, who's counting, right?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

If it's new merch, I could go for a Londo doll. One that doesn't symbolically cast... him in a bad light, of course.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

e: Never mind, I'm an idiot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I couldn't resist commenting on this blind watcher's post in the other thread. I don't think I said anything spoilery but I may have revealed something in a less vague way than I intended.

The post in question:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I am very fond of pointing out that this episode was originally intended as the season 4 finale, and conflicts with the network made a fifth season uncertain. As a result, certain plot threads had to be compressed drastically. I invite you to imagine waiting months for the resolution to a cliffhanger like this one.

I think you're fine. I don't see how this spoils a drat thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I don't hate the art style. Good first step.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Q_res posted:

The show is pretty explicit that them blowing the jumpgate means you can't go there any more, so I don't think it was really an option even if someone wanted to do it.

Except that we see plenty of ships that can open their own jump points (White Stars, Cortez, Minbari warships, etc.). And besides, the gates had to be built in the first place somehow. If there was a need for a lot of traffic to go to Markab again, there's no reason it wouldn't be possible to build a new one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I think the point was that looters were just showing up in whatever and blowing up the jump gate ended that. Yeah there are ships that can make their own jump points, but those are major high-tech ships, not junky haulers that go graverobbing.

Which is why it would seriously suck to be graverobbers who were there when the gate got blown up. They'll probably have a nice long stay before anyone arranges a rescue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

"Save the eye that does not see" -- the first thing I thought of was The Eye, the jeweled artifact of the first Centauri emperor, which ended up in Londo's possession back in Signs and Portents. It could be symbolic of the entire Centauri Republic, which would make the warning that he's not to let the Centauri destroy themselves in their short-sightedness.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MikusR posted:

Thanks for recaps. There are still the movies, The Lost Tales and Crusade.

And the cartoon coming out soon!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Also "Woo...hoo?" is funny

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Discord Project was our last, best hope for peace.

It failed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CainFortea posted:

If it's detecting his DNA it should not react at all to someone who isn't related.

Define "related".

You and I (whoever you are, and whoever I am) share a common ancestor an absolute maximum of 200,000 years ago. Almost certainly MUCH less than that, especially if we have any ancestors from the same general continental-scale regions. Are we related?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Last Call posted:

Why no Zathras Day?

Because no one listens to Zathras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It was the dawn of the Third Age of MankindDuck Season