Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The relationship between B5 and DS9 is pretty interesting. Like, I think it's obvious that Paramount was a little shady, and they rushed their series to completion to get ahead of JMS. But then, on all those comparison lists which show things that DS9 'took' from B5 (both crews get an advanced warship at the start of the third season, etc.) they don't tend to mention that DS9 was one season ahead. Meaning that perhaps B5 was borrowing as reprisal.

Pretty sure the main reason it didn't go to court was the fact that only the lawyers would win.

DS9 is one Trek among many but B5 is B5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Friend of mine got into a discussion with me as how he thought it was weird that all the shadow entities would agree with their plan, especially since it puts their lives at risk.

Did JMS ever talk about whether some shadows went against the plan, or went off and did their own thing? We know that at least with Vorlons they didn't all see eye to eye, as evidenced by Kosh.

They are all 'true believers in the cause', a few thousand(million) years of indoctrination and you will know your cause is right & just. :shrug:

Those who objected were discarded, like the crew of the Icarus... accept what they offer or become weapon components inside a Shadow vessel.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Irrespective of the choices Londo made the Centauri were already infiltrated (Refa) and on the path to destruction.

Koshs' line: "the avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote" applies to Londo as well.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Londo was given many chances to, if not stop the centauri being destroyed, then save himself from destruction. He rejected them all.

Yeah, that negates my Kosh comment for sure. :downsowned:

----

Is that JMS biography any good btw?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rappaport posted:

G'kar points out that the Centauri "plucked asteroids from their orbits and sent them plunging on our cities", and he contrasts this with the mass drivers, which were the thing Londo was supposedly witnessing far earlier in the series. We see, in fact, the Centauri war ships launching something out of themselves and into Narn

and this is conveyed to us (and Londo) as the genocide that occurred. But this does not portray the hurling of asteroids. Was G'kar using poetic license? Did the creators of Babylon 5 not consider all the implicit details in warfare in space? Was Babylon 5 largely a vessel for delivering really great monologues?

They launched asteroids, it's free ammo. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Considering how much he nerds out about space physics I was sure JMS had a post about it somewhere.

I think he said once that ''spaceships fly at the speed of the plot''. :kiddo:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Thankfully the b5scrolls site is still good for all the interviews he did plus ship info: https://www.b5scrolls.com/

Guess it sucks to be JMS atm.

Pretty sure some of the YT cgi folks will be heartbroken about their work getting cut... labour of love & all that for a few.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Can I please have a next-gen Babylon 5 video game now?

I never forgave Sierra for cancelling the first attempt. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Incelshok Na posted:

Didn't that get released? I remember playing a B5 game. It had real physics and it was an absolute monster to play. You were a psi cop I think?

That was probably the fan made Babylon 5: I've Found Her (flying is hard).

Psi Corp never caught me. :ninja:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I never thought i'd see it but someone hates the S3 opening sequence in the blind watch thread.

A statistical anomaly at the least. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

If you want a real trip, before watching him in B5, watch him in "The Night Off" in Night Court S3.

''Narsham''... that name rings a bell from the distant past, B5 Wars perchance?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

Yes. I’m the guy who fought Todd Boyce’s pak’ma’ra B5Wars tournament fleet with the carrier variant and 24 fighters with a Hyach fleet. Nothing like having to shoot down fighters with medium lasers!

Plasma. :kingsley:

I was/am Jal on the forum there, nice to run into you. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tyrel Lohr posted:

LOL, I wonder how many other old B5W players are lurking around here?

:asoiaf: Looks like not all of us went beyond the rim. :asoiaf:

Pity i was crap at the game, too many numbers for my intellect but loved everything else. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tyrel Lohr posted:

I went close to probably a decade without playing B5W, but then got back into playing off and on using the Fiery Void web client, so now every few months I'll jump on and play a few games of it before I burn out on it again.

I was never a good player, there were others that were FAR better, and even to this day there are a few active B5W players where even at my best I think I could maybe eke out a draw but have no realistic chance of winning a match against them because they plan their moves ahead like it's a Chess match where I'm much more the "play by the seat of your pants" mindset.

If I was to sit down at a table and play something, though, I would probably pick Starmada X over B5W, just because I can setup and resolve a battle quickly and then move on to something else.

I'm too impulsive for B5W, but was glad to know that Fiery Void is keeping the flame alive.

B5 Full Thrust was more at my comfort level. :shobon:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

New one for me, squeeeee!!!!! :dance:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Clouseau posted:

I've been wondering here based off the excited posts in this thread and chatter I see on Twitter (and I myself run a "newbies watch B5 for the first time" podcast, Last Best Babylon 5) why Babylon 5 fans, even moreso than with a lot of other scifi show are super excited about the impressions of new viewers, and the general conclusion I reached is that unlike a lot of other franchises its just obscure enough that the large majority of people don't really know many of the big plot turns. I knew before I watched it for the first time years ago that the leads changed at the top of the second season, and that there was a generalized war plot that was similar in ways to DS9, and that people love the finale but not the final season, but not much else. If it was GOT or something, everyone knows most of the big spoilery things via cultural osmosis, and more obscure stuff generally never got to finish their story.

Oh dear god.... i'm going to have to listen to all of this podcast now; clicks on The Gathering. :dance:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

It’s an interesting question given rights restrictions. Either WB is cutting a licensing deal as with the comics and novels, and we’re getting something like audio dramas, or they’re doing something not requiring rights like doing commentary tracks for every episode.

I’m not sure how you do audio dramas given the remaining cast. You’d be working with: Sheridan, Talia/Lyta, and Ivanova for humanity (plus Marcus if it’s set during the series), Londo for the Centauri, Lennier for the Minbari. Na’toth or Ta’lon for the Narn. If you’re doing ISA-era you could use Lochley and Number One. I guess you could tell stories involving only one or two main cast members?

Pretty sure i'll have absolutely no interest in audio dramas.

I could do with some more B5 books for my collection though. :pray:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I mean... Not wrong, butttt

Technically correct for sure. :ohdear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THAT.

"something, something" unpublished?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sounds pretty meh tbh, i'll catch any interesting clips on YT after it's released.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

It's not, this is just about every fandom now. Nobody wants to wait to see what creators and writers do, their fanfics are the only possible right answer and the most pathological among them will send a literal swat team to your house for disagreeing with them.

There is a particular B5 fanfic covering the Dilgar War that i reread every few years, you can pry it from my cold, dead hands. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Looks like better choreographed action scenes than the show :v:

This has a bigger budget. :razzy:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The actor is in that terrible chud movie Last Act of Courage where the evil government, that's full of black people, want to stop the good Christian whites of a small town erecting a gaint 10 commandment memorial. He plays the mayor who drives around on a Harley or classic Ford pickup with a full sized American flag on it.

B5 should be made into video games, like Mass Effect is just B5 but with sexy blue alien babes.

Marshall Teague, was also in Stargate.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

Sheridan destroyed the jump gate at the start of 2260.

Even some pirates had jump ships in the show so access may be slowed but never stopped. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

No, but large cargo freighters aren't going to sacrifice the weight for jump engines when the network is right there. So the ships that could set up a colony can't get there, just as the graverobbers carrying things away wouldn't be able to.

Won't get into an argument over this but that just doesn't sit right with me. :ughh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

Look, it’s been a thousand years and they forgot the WD-40, whaddya gonna do?

Need to use a penetrating oil like Kroil, WD-40 is the wrong tool for the job tbh. :MinbariColbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looks like they scraped Deviant Art for some low hanging fruit.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I have nothing that plays Blurays anyway, money saved. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Wow, thanks. You're right: I was OK until the scene with Sheridan passing on....then I got choked up. I can't even watch Medusa Cascade's review because she's going to be a mess.

Get your tissues ready lad, i always cry a bit when i watch this episode.... Medusas vid did the same for me as for her.

Thanks for watching the series, it was a pleasure. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Poor Lennier, totally innocent to humanity in the bedroom.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm at the point that I believe Straczynski had precisely one good idea in his head and he's been chasing the dragon ever since.

Sometimes you just have to let go or you end up diminishing all that you have done before. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

It's as worrisome as an unnoticed vent on a Death Star. :popeye:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

.... cause anyone watching the gathering probably gonna turn that poo poo off pretty fast

I guess you didn't watch it back in 93. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

As I recall the first episode of Battlestar Galactica was way better than the pilot as well.

33 is a great first episode but if you are already hooked by the pilot then there is no downside. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

David Warner, who also did Irenicus in Baldur's Gate 2, the Cardassian interrogating Picard in TNG, the reporter in the Omen, the Federation Ambassador in Star Trek V, Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek 6, Dr. Wrenn in In The Mouth of Madness....

I always enjoyed his work.

Also played the baddie in Tron, along with Bruce Boxleitner & Peter Jurasik.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Need to do the Dilgar War; Franklin & Garibaldi both had dads who fought in it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

sebmojo posted:

He's a bridge extra in an early episode, and i think canonically he is a different character but i like to think that's just Deep Cover Morden

He's only in the Pilot episode (which not everyone watches), then shows up as Mr Morden. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

... a Ranger...

... That's no Ranger, that is Galen, the Technomage from the Crusade series.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

"I knew I'd curse you for the longest time, chasing shadows in the grocery line..."

You didn't circle the important letters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Okay here is my collection of the comics, it is not the complete set sadly! My dad was not able to get all of them back in the day.

Oh, that's nice! :D

The only B5 comic i have is "In Valen's Name".