Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Luigi Thirty posted:

From the bowels of YouTube I present a camcorder copy of a one-hour Q&A with Michael O'Hare - after he left B5 but before they shot War Without End. "I'm running around in the jungle shooting Shadowmen!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR5IuVptRw

He's really funny and really smart, going into the psychology of acting and his role as Sinclair more than you usually get out of convention talks. It's amazing stuff.

This is absorbing, thanks for posting it - he seems like such a lovely guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Haha that's awesome, gj

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Action Jacktion posted:

JMS posted his memories of Harlan Ellison (too long to post here):

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/1999083533459833

That's a pro click, thanks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Timby posted:

Boxleitner is a one-note actor who, in a show filled with low-rent actors, somehow stood out as being the worst. I mean, poo poo, he made Scoggins look competent. I get that people love lines like "NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY!" but he delivers them with a level of cheese that would make the entire state of Wisconsin go, "Wait, God drat."

And I've said it before, but if you want to get yourself into an alcoholic coma / develop acute liver failure, take a shot every time he says, "No ... nonononono." Holy gently caress.

Yeah he has his moments but he's a fine block of teak in a uniform most of the time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh you have such wonders ahead of you

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

B5 guns were a revelation

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vavrek posted:

Complete tangent off of those words, but: Has anybody read any of Alfred Bester's work? I first heard of him because of Babylon 5; I'm a fan of that era of SciFi writing and have been meaning to read The Demolished Man since I learned of it.

it's dated but good, in the sense that its approach got widely copied so what was new and amazing about it probably won't register. It's innovative pulp, basically.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nicely put.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pick posted:

I intend to, once things calm down a little at work. Thanks for the recommendation!

they're making season 4 atm, so it's a good time to get into it - season 3 was a cracker. don't read up about it though, there's a nice bit in s3 that's fun to come upon blind.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

B5 gets pretty stagey and theatrical at times, it rules.

WHO ARE YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Platonicsolid posted:

I wouldn't call Strazynsci a hack or a one hit wonder - he did yeoman's work on TV scripts for decades - but I do tend to think he had one great idea, B5, which he's been recycling or attempting to recapture since.

NINJA ASSASSIN

not a ninja who is an assassin, mind

AN ASSASSIN... OF NINJAS...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Isn't JMS left-handed? It could just be a by-product of him being so involved in the production that he set things up himself, and did it the way that was natural for him as a left-hander. :shrug:

I really like this insane theory for some reason, please keep developing it. Which way does b5 rotate?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They aren't funny, which is actually hilarious

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think Talia's actor jumped ship.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yessssssss

also can you post or send a link to where you got those because i want to share and be able to attribute properly and google is hard failing on "pizdulgir"

Yes they are amazing, i'd spend money on them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dirty posted:

Looking forward to seeing reactions to the rest of season 3 since it contains possibly my all-time favourite "holy poo poo" ending to a season. It's not even really a cliffhanger, it's just a "yup, everything just went to poo poo" ending.

refresh my memory? it's been a while

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

McSpanky posted:

/\/\/\ To be fair, Kosh was right about that one. But there's plenty of other examples, like telling Sinclair to just take his hands off the wheel and let the Centauri and Narn destroy each other.

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCPsR_KTL4

I like that delenn is embodying the minbari motto at the beginning there

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Baron von der Loon posted:

So I recently started my first rewatch of Babylon 5, about twelve years after I saw it for the first time. Due to Stellaris and having gone on a binge through some old sci-fi books(Dune, Foundation, Hitchhiker's Guide) as of late, I decided that it was about time to pick it up again, and trying to average about one episode per day. Saw 'Believers' last night, and I still remember that this episode was what really put Babylon 5 on the map for me and made it clear that this wasn't a Star Trek rip-off.

Now, I really enjoy going through the Lurker's Guide after watching an episode, but I have to admit that I've found it a bit difficult to read on my mobile or tablet. So I decided to create a simple web app that would let me read through the contents more easily on a smaller screen AND give me the option to keep track of what episodes I've seen. This wasn't all that hard, to be honest, because the owners have been gracious enough to put the entire source code online. It was basically just reading out their files and transforming it to a format I could use.

It's available at https://lurkers-guide.netlify.com if anyone else is interested.

One thing I would like to note is that this is a PWA(Persistent Web App), meaning that for most modern Android and iOS devices, you can save the web page to your home screen. This will download the site to your device, will hide the URL bar if you click on it(giving the impression of it being a normal app), and will make it available at all times, even if you're offline. On each episode page, there is a toggle in the header which you can use to indicate what episodes you've already seen.

It's the first time that I've built something as a PWA, so it was a good learning exercise as well.

How neat! Nice work, looking forward to diving back into this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wizzardstaff posted:

I am at the point in season 4 where the Internet says I should watch Thirdspace. So I watched Thirdspace. It felt like a 90-minute rehash of Infection. Are the other movies better?

not to my understanding, it's all very optional.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If you ignore all other opinions in this thread, heed this one.

Ye be warned.

punch! kick! punch punch! SUPER KICK!!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Also, JMS recollection of the line doesn't seem accurate with what Sheridan actually says in the show, which is very much past tense.

i'm gonna say: eh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You have such wonders before you my friend. Check in often.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Narsham posted:

The script doesn't call for anything at all, beyond saying that G'Kar "nods uncommittally" after Londo suggests they could force their way out through the ceiling, and that he hums to himself after the "up yours. Die" lines.

JMS himself describes the scene as-written as presenting G'Kar with a "fairly straight-forward and Zen-like" attitude, "quietly content and happy." Katsulas was absolutely the one to find this interpretation, but what was on the page didn't actively conflict with his take. He just knew precisely how far to go.

I'll also note (not to be contrary to Kashia) that the difference between scenery-chewing and the elevator scene, from an actor's standpoint, is that one performance doesn't work and the other does. Scenery-chewing isn't a flaw, it's the consequence of taking performance risks that don't pan out. Certainly, it can be a sign of a bad or uncaring actor, but it's at least as likely that the performer thinks that a particular set of lines or a whole characterization is flawed and that the only way to salvage the situation is to take bigger performative risks. Making a TV series isn't a puzzle where you can simply not do wrong things, it's a series of choices which inevitably involve trade-offs and often the choices that lead to the biggest potential flaws also lead to the greatest accomplishments. On balance, B5's risk-to-reward ratio involves fairly high risks and comparably high rewards, especially given the many constraints under which the show was made.

This is a good post (as was the one it quoted)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You can only ever give people what they expect or what they do not, the artistry is in deciding which at any given moment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Psi Corps.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I like Midnight on the Firing Line :mad:

Me too. I like Sinclair in general, he's got a nice restrained energy - I never warmed to the other guy, thought he was adequate at best.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

last night i realised that I had somehow obtained the entirety of Babylon 5 possibly while drunk and watched a few eps of season 3 for the first time in years (I watched them all when they came out), and had the classic bab5 experience of watching it like a mid-quality space soap opera, dum de doo, then Londo starts remembering a dream of shadow ships flying over him on Centauri Prime and the camera zooms in real slow and suddenly you have to remind yourself to breathe

babylong 5... is good...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thinking of streaming an ep and commenting on it with a friend, which one do you reckon? I've seen the whole show, she has seen bits.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sedgr posted:

I'm still a little annoyed that the guy that is teasing that stuff is basically holding the assets hostage and e-begging for a new PC.

I don't trust a person that's kept this stuff tucked away for years on some ancient rear end desktop to actually be able to upgrade the machine in a way that doesnt end up with the files lost again.

Zip em up, put them somewhere for download, and drop some links anonymously if they're afraid of some sort of legal backlash.

The community would have access, and be able to spit the whole shebang out in a couple of days.

it's crowdfunding pocket change, so why not.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

speakhard posted:

Maybe there's hope if Mojo Lebowitz gets his hands on these...

Who's he?

E: ooh yes ok

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 7, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know, I'm continuing to watch Season 2, just watched A Distant Star, and I just realized something more deeply than I had in previous viewings: Santiago chose the absolute worst replacement for Sinclair he could possibly find. Clark absolutely did not have Sheridan in mind, that was yet another lie. Sheridan, someone the Minbari not only did not approve of but actively hated for his actions in the war, someone who, as his former mentor Maynard notes, has nothing in his record to suggest that he would be anything other than a disaster in a desk job. They wanted B5 to collapse, it's a failure of theirs that they misjudged him so.

that's a good insight, i agree

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is a certain irony to the fanbases' displeasure with shadowy WB execs for refusing to restart the project out of spite not wanting to give the guy who is grifting everyone for a new PC the money out of spite.
:shrug:

It looks like Independence War!

i'm amazed he can even watch b5 with an athlon 2.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s ironic hyperbole or something.

Ty. It is kind of amazing he can do anything to do with video manipulation though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm curating a goon friend through b5, we've done s1 and she loves it, what are the picks of key eps for season 2? We've seen the first episode and been a little sad about Sinclair going.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doctor Zero posted:

Skipping around on S1 is acceptable. S2 onward, pretty much isn't. There's too much stuff intertwined in there.

hmmmm. To be clear, I've seen it all before, and i don't disagree but our time watching is limited. I will have a look at the ep list. I think we can live without Gropos though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ConfusedUs posted:

There's that story about how JMS shopped his B5 script around, including the studio that produced DS9, who rejected it. Then mysteriously produced a new Trek that was incredibly similar...

It's probably easier to list the things that are different about B5 and DS9 than those that are the same.

I'm introducing a trekkie friend to b5 and she's genuinely mad about how much stuff they stole and how much better b5 is

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My friend bought the entire series on vhs just before dvds came in, I never asked him how it felt

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

those are neat :shobon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes, that is what I was alluding to. I'm sorry, I should refrain from apophasis, clearly it doesn't carry well in written media.

That wasn't apophasis you μαλάκας, it's a sledgehammer reference to a famous event because jms thinks subtlety is a hate crime (bless him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maelstache posted:

I guess the question is did JMS write Lennier like that intentionally or did those characteristics come about about as a consequence of his own goonish tendencies (thinking of that time he tried to hit on Claudia Christian and got firmly shut down)?

Does he actually think Lennier is a good guy and not a hapless jerk?

Here lies Lennier, he never scored