Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They just rereleased the show -- and Crusade -- on DVD here in Australia. Picked up Season 2, which I'd been missing for a long time. Tempted to also grab Crusade, which had a hanful of episodes I remember liking. Mostly the Lochley ones, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I can't think of any other show that has a whole quarter of the last season as epilogue and denouement, but it is so good to have this.

I've got an answer to this, but you won't like it. It's Girls.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

Between this and playing Mass Effect 3 finally, it's really making me wish something like this was on TV again.

Uhhh... check again buddy. You've got The Orville, Star Trek: Discovery, The Expanse, Killjoys, Defiance*, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (Season 5). Lots of great stuff over the last few years.

*not in space, but possibly the closest Babylon 5 of all the above.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I quite like a lot of Season 5. Byron's only in three episodes, most of the episodes before him are pretty good I reckon.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

J33uk posted:

I really really didn’t like the season 1 music at the time of airing. By the end of season 2 I was loving sold. By the end of season 3 it’s doing heavier lifting than pretty much the rest of the show. Don’t read this poo poo The climax of the season 3 finale is pretty much the best build to “this whole thing has gone to poo poo” ever

Yeah, I was gonna post, that -- watching Babylon 5 for the first time, as a kid -- the Season 3 finale was the first time I sat up and paid attention to what incidental music could do during television.

I think the season 3 finale stands out in how cinematic and self-consciously epic television could be as well, compared to what its peers were creating. Is there anything comparable in scope to the kinds of set pieces this show was producing, at least back then?

Edit: Maybe Xena, I think that's the only other series that gets anywhere near as close.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vavrek posted:

(I think my actual favorite Lochley scenes are her cameos in Crusade.)

I think maybe the reason why I've always liked the character so much is that I saw her scenes in Crusade before I ever saw her scenes in the main show. She's pretty cool tbh.

tastychicken posted:

The Centauri arch in S5 is drat good though.

Londo's hair is truly magnificent.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eating popcorn like she's never seen popcorn before.

I think that was her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ironically, this shot wouldn't look out of place in Avenue 5.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arach posted:

Yeah Vorlons were originally conceived as reptilian, and the 'life mate' there was an unused character, Valena.

Of course, for the pairing motif.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's Gareth Wyn Williams. I guess it's a confusion with Gareth David Williams, who wrote these alternate-history fanfics? They're both Gareth Williams, both born in 1978 in Wales, but otherwise seem to have led different lives, unless the biography here is a fabrication.

I don't think it's possible to be called Gareth Williams and not be born in Wales.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Soonmot posted:

It was at least 10 years ago that I last watched through this and I did not catch it. DS9 is still leading for queer content in 90's scifi

\/\/gently caress me, i used to watch supermarket sweep in 1991

I think Xena wins this one, but only on the basis that it's technically scifi in a few (gay!) episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm rewatching the show through with some friends (a couple of us have seen it before, but most haven't) and just caught the dock workers strike episode from Season One.

Did they say that the workers "can't quit"? Am I missing something here, or are they actually just straight up slaves?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

The EA senate passed a bill forbidding them from industrial action and declaring them to be in violation of contract with penalties if they quit.

There is a reason colonies keep rebelling.

Ah, we missed this bit.

Watching as a group is great, until everyone decides to speak at once and critical plot information ends up obscured.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

V-Men posted:

The first time you see it, Sinclair just vanishes and you don't even get to see him leave the station. I can see someone would be rankled about a major character change like that with no lead up.

Yeah, I can too, but the show deals with it relatively gently. He gets a send off (and then another one waaay down the line) and everyone does the unusual "who's this new guy I don't like him" dance that's meant to hold the audience's hand a little bit during the transition.

There are waaaay more brutal ways leads have been dispatched from shows. There was this one UK show that killed the old leads off between episodes, and revealed this by showing the new leads literally pissing all over the graves of the old ones. Or another show that had a big rock fall on the old lead's head two minutes into a season premier before moving swiftly on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Poldarn posted:

Lol, is this Ultimate Force? Or did another show do this?

Lmfao, I was thinking of Teachers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm watching the show through now with friends who've never seen it before, and I can't see any reason to shape their experience by pointing stuff out or underlining ideas, structures, patterns, etc. I'd rather people form their own connections with the show rather than mediate that connection.

Like, I just watched Eyes, and watching it I remembered that this is one of the few times the show hinted at Ivanova being attracted to Winters, or that Bester was originally meant to be in this story (he was, wasn't he?) but there were actor scheduling problems, but I think it'd more interesting to let people come to their own conclusions.

I wonder if there was some version of Eyes where Talia replaces the guest star psychic, was that ever a thing?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

It's such an odd episode from modern sensibilities, since it draws on a lot of continuity and references a lot of past characters (everyone loves DEATHWALKER*) but it doesn't have any of them show up, even regulars who you'd think would be more involved.

*actually everyone loves Na'toth shouting at her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

absolutely. b5's combination of 'arc episodes' and stand-alones is something i really miss.

It's more common in shows with long seasons. The financials that created that system don't seem to exist anymore, so it's basically dead.

But yeah, that genre owned. Babylon 5, Xena, Farscape, Buffy, Angel, Alias, L O S T, Gotham, Agents of SHIELD and Legends of Tomorrow were all good, with greater or lesser amounts of serialisation -- though they inevitably became very serialised by the ends of their runs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno, I just watched Into The Wilderness (1) and the choreo there wasn't that impressive.

That said, the planet looked amazing and the (partly?) practical effects for the laser corridor were pretty good though.

(I actually found the episode itself to be kind of boring, I won't lie.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man this two parter just won't end.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watched Chrysalis tonight. Friend asked whether the "new Delenn" will move her forhead more lmfao

(He completely missed Mira Furlan's human arm during the flashforward from Babylon Squared and thinks the plot was just a complicated excuse for a recast.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Talia is the big missed opportunity of the show for me. But, realistically, I doubt the network would have ever let her and Ivanova be a couple, and that's a big part of why I feel so annoyed that the character was written out.

I also think she's just a better character than her replacement, and she's certainly a far better actor than Tallman. Honestly, I reckon she's giving one of the best performances* in the first season, despite also receiving some of the most uninteresting plotlines.

I really love the way her performance is quite sensitive and brittle, but also has moments when she's a bit icy and professional. You get a strong sense from the performance how she's been systematically broken down by her fascist overlords and then given purpose again by them.

*obviously Jurasik is the best, and Katsulas, but I think Caitlin Brown is up there too. She makes Na'toth is such an awesome, swashbuckling piece of poo poo. Has anyone ever talked about the original plan for Na'toth's arc? From moments like the slavery conversation you get the sense that she'd probably have ended up in a villainous place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Clouseau posted:

While that official version of the 20th reunion video is higher quality and easier to watch, this fan cam version has maybe one of my absolute favorite things at this specific time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_TBTgnMsk&t=509s
(keep an eye on Scoggins and Mumy)

lmfao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So weird that they don't have Andrea Thompson for this.

Wonder how the actors will translate to an audio only medium. I imagine Boxleitner and Christian won't have trouble.

Clouseau posted:

But man, it'd rule if somehow Big Finish got the Babylon 5 license. Some of the stuff they've done with Doctor Who is phenomenal.

Not in the last decade tbh. There is a play with Jurasik in the guest cast that's free on Spotify though, if people are interested. It's... okay.

Torchwood, on the other hand...

(I'm not kidding)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

Christian definitely won't - she mostly does VA these days. You've probably heard her, as well; she worked on Skyrim, where as I recall she voiced the female Nord.

Oh yeah, that's why I singled her out. And Boxleitner was in the original Dead Space and Spec Ops The Line, plus he's done a lot of Tron reprises for games / cartoons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The film's set in alternative timelines though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not enjoying early season two on rewatch. Ivanova finally getting more to do is good, but I reckon thr Sheridan swap could have been more dramatically handled, and there's a run of meh episodes. This horror episode where Doctor Franklin tries to root his patient hours after she learned her husband died is particularly lame.

I did get a big laugh at G'Kar telling this lady that she'd be better off loving back to 1999 or whatever. Dude has no chill.

I reckon they should have depicted his come to Jakwan moment on screen though, instead of letting his breakthrough happen off screen and between seasons.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 2, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

B5 should be made into video games, like Mass Effect is just B5 but with sexy blue alien babes.

I've always thought that Mass Effect, particularly the first game, was heavily inspired by Babylon 5.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The thing about Bester (and the Psi Corps) is that JMS seems to genuinely view telepathy as an existential threat to humanity, one that will flip a switch in people and turn them into monsters. So, Bester is Hitler, and Hitler can be pretty charming and personable. Except Bester isn't Hitler. The Earth Alliance's role in creating Psi Corps and enforcing its mandate in subjugating telepaths-by-telepaths is, with the exception of I think a single line from Garibaldi in Season 5, never actually talked about.

I dunno about that, I just watched an episode in early-mid season two (during that run of Talia episodes) where the command staff have a conversation about how concentrating power and fear in single institution made Psi Corps being a monster of mankind's own making.

Even at this point in the series there are a handful of psychic individuals who aren't power mad psychopaths; Talia, Ironhart, that dude from Eyes in the first season, the Down Below girl from season one... so I dunno if psi powers --> monster path is quite so prescribed. It seems like the combination of the potential to abuse innate power, and the support of a fascist class system, leads people to behave monstrously, rather that some innate psi-essentialism.

Sense8 was basically the same thing tbh, and JMS wrote fairly positively about this idea that humanity could develop in ways that were positive and humane, but only if they found ways to live peacefully and openly with new paradigm humanity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's like saying "LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner were great in all seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation" is a spoiler.

No, it loving isn't.

It is tbh, since that statement implies that they're both in all seven seasons, meaning that their characters probably don't die.

Or, if one does die halfway through the second season, then that statement implies that they'll be back later (and consistently enough to be in all seven seasons).

You've effectively indicated future events, which is a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Oh, get off the high horse. Tasha Yar dies in season one of TNG. Dr. Crusher leaves for a season. Wesley Crusher goes to gently caress off with ... what, join the academy and then gets with a space pedo demigod or something?Just as much as "Denise Crosby quit TNG late in season 1," it's not a goddamn spoiler to note cast changes outside of the Sinclair / Sheridan switch.

I don't get your point here. Those are all spoilers because they're something someone might not wish to know when they start a show because it might spoil their ability to experience a show without being guided by future knowledge, which like it or lump it is something people value.

Using spoiler bars is just basic respect. It doesn't matter how good a show is, it's about not being an arsehole.