Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mllaneza posted:

Remember the lead telepath from A Race Through Dark Places? Had kind of a lisp? Give him Byron's lines. In an ideal world you also boost Lyta's part and have Ivanova in there instead, but that one change would make the character a whole lot more palatable.

I do, and I think he was originally intended for the part. I agree, and wonder if that was a producer mandate to have someone pretty in the role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
To be fair, going from Jason Carter to Robin Atkin Downes makes it clear that the unifying theme is thick, gorgeous hair. (Which, as JMS has said, was for him a wild sci-fi fantasy by that point in his life.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm rewatching the show through with some friends (a couple of us have seen it before, but most haven't) and just caught the dock workers strike episode from Season One.

Did they say that the workers "can't quit"? Am I missing something here, or are they actually just straight up slaves?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The EA senate passed a bill forbidding them from industrial action and declaring them to be in violation of contract with penalties if they quit.

There is a reason colonies keep rebelling.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I really like how they clearly establish right from the start the way things are trending in EarthGov, and it's heading nowhere good, in ways that resonate now more than ever. The Senate passing restrictive legislation, the ineffectual President acting like the Democrat in Tim Kreider's "Democrats vs. Republicans" cartoon and being all like "o-okay, we can be a little racist to aliens if you'll just vote for us. Do you really think you will?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm rewatching the show through with some friends (a couple of us have seen it before, but most haven't) and just caught the dock workers strike episode from Season One.

Did they say that the workers "can't quit"? Am I missing something here, or are they actually just straight up slaves?

Reminds me of this relatively recent case where a company tried to prevent its employees from moving to a competitor.

mossyfisk posted:

The EA senate passed a bill forbidding them from industrial action and declaring them to be in violation of contract with penalties if they quit.

Even in countries where industrial action is legal there are cases where the labor courts will tell you "no, you're not allowed to strike because of X", and sometimes they will rule that mass quitting is a form of unauthorized strike. I don't have an example off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure there was a recent case, it might pop up in a bit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even in countries where industrial action is legal there are cases where the labor courts will tell you "no, you're not allowed to strike because of X", and sometimes they will rule that mass quitting is a form of unauthorized strike. I don't have an example off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure there was a recent case, it might pop up in a bit.

Maybe you're thinking of how the US government essentially forbade rail workers to strike last year and forced them to accept a bullshit contract, and because the rail union leadership was in favor of the bullshit contract, if the rail workers decided to strike it would be declared a wildcat action?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Timby posted:

Maybe you're thinking of how the US government essentially forbade rail workers to strike last year and forced them to accept a bullshit contract, and because the rail union leadership was in favor of the bullshit contract, if the rail workers decided to strike it would be declared a wildcat action?

That's close, but not quite it. I'm not finding good coverage of the specifics in English, but apparently there were several attempts at mass resignation by medical trainees in Israel that had injunctions thrown against them because they weren't an authorized action by the medical union, although they would still be allowed to resign individually or some nonsense like that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There was also the infamous 1981 US air traffic controllers strike. US government employees are legally prohibited from striking and some are forbidden to unionize.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

There was a recent case in New York where the nurses were fighting for a better contract but kept working because otherwise people would die.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TK-42-1 posted:

There was a recent case in New York where the nurses were fighting for a better contract but kept working because otherwise people would die.

When the ambulance service has been on strike recently in the UK they've still gone out to life-saving emergencies (which tbh isn't much different to how they have to act at the moment anyway - critical underfunding/privatisation of the health system means it has essentially collapsed)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'm pretty convinced that the original plan for S5 was to have Talia being the one leading the telepath rebellion pitting her against Ivanova as B5 commander, and I want to live in that universe.

I'm not sure telepath rebellion was in the plan yet when Talia was still around.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

Ah, we missed this bit.

Watching as a group is great, until everyone decides to speak at once and critical plot information ends up obscured.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure telepath rebellion was in the plan yet when Talia was still around.

Maybe not showing it, but it's very integrated with the overall arc jms was depicting so I'd be surprised if that was the case

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Watched "Survivors" last night, and it made me remember just how comedically obnoxious G'Kar is in the beginning, just constantly complaining to Sinclair about everything.

The real star of that episode is Garabaldi's shirt, it's straight out of a timeline where 1993's fashion never went out of style.

As a side note, I've been doing this rewatch with my roommate, who hasn't seen Babylon 5 before. She hasn't been paying a whole lot of attention yet, but she's been chuckling at lines here or there. I"m sure this will change once The Shadows wake up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My wife did the same thing, I had called it "a thinking man's sci fi" or something like that and she was like "whatever you say, dear" during S1.

By the time we finished Sleeping in Light she immediately turned to me and said in no uncertain terms we were going to immediately watch again starting from S1.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

S1 is really eye opening when you go back to it because the aliens and crowd scenes really pop, you can tell they are just super pumped at being able to design all this insane alien poo poo, by s5 it's a lot more by the numbers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sad that the mantis dude never showed up again

Sure, the Centauri have their hair and whatnot, but a mantis?

This is where I will be clowned and someone will demonstrate that the mantis was present at the formation of the Alliance or something, isn't it :eng99:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rappaport posted:

I'm sad that the mantis dude never showed up again

Sure, the Centauri have their hair and whatnot, but a mantis?

This is where I will be clowned and someone will demonstrate that the mantis was present at the formation of the Alliance or something, isn't it :eng99:

N'Grath didn't come back because they didn't like the puppet. He was mentioned in Thirdspace and Learning Curve though (as being out of the way)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

N'Grath didn't come back because they didn't like the puppet. He was mentioned in Thirdspace and Learning Curve though (as being out of the way)

The puppet got sold off, actually. Joss Whedon bought it and it appears as a monster of the week in Buffy S2.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Welcome! What do you want?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ahhhh, cafeterrace morden!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I was rewatching the Gathering recently and it never stops freaking me out seeing Morden in C&C

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

I will say the show seems pretty forgiving and light hearted towards the centauri, and mean towards the narn, when from what it sounds like, the centauri were basically turbo cardassian genociding world destroyers. I mean from where I'm sitting after season 1, i wish the narn would bring down the centauri.

:allears:

I feel like a lot of modern audiences these days, especially those who are posting on the internet and likely have gone through some amount of internet-radicalization are a lot more concerned with the politics of people in the fiction they consume than maybe they should be, but in the case of B5 it just gives the game away.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's just delicious, all the old hands are leaning forward going ehehehheheehe like dark souls npcs

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, I'd agree that the Narn should bring down the Centauri if they could have managed it. But I also feel that Phlox was right in not saving the slavers on that one planet in Enterprise so maybe i'm biased.

I don't think there's much info on where the Narn stand in relation to the Centauri before hostilities break out again. Were the Narn basically second class citizens on the galactic stage? Or was their opening of the war more about getting their own back?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

:allears:

I feel like a lot of modern audiences these days, especially those who are posting on the internet and likely have gone through some amount of internet-radicalization are a lot more concerned with the politics of people in the fiction they consume than maybe they should be, but in the case of B5 it just gives the game away.

Isn't that the point of the show? You scream at your screen "Londo, what the gently caress are you doing?", but you still sort of like Londo, and it's all very :smith:

Now Refa, that guy can just gently caress off. But Londo was there for the mass drivers blowing up Narn and he's definitely a war criminal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The thing about Londo is he's tragic, in that you watch him become the monster that he very clearly could have been a great ally in defeating.

Refa is just a poo poo from start to finish.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CainFortea posted:

I mean, I'd agree that the Narn should bring down the Centauri if they could have managed it. But I also feel that Phlox was right in not saving the slavers on that one planet in Enterprise so maybe i'm biased.

I don't think there's much info on where the Narn stand in relation to the Centauri before hostilities break out again. Were the Narn basically second class citizens on the galactic stage? Or was their opening of the war more about getting their own back?

Narn were on the way up, centauri on the way down

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

sebmojo posted:

Narn were on the way up, centauri on the way down

I think G'Kar, when trying to get Delenn into an alliance early on, says something like "Ours is the youngest race, yours the oldest—well except for the Vorlons of course—just imagine what we could do together!"
(Delenn, of course, responds with "yes and that is why our people must never join forces.")

I think they're comparable to the Earth Alliance, with more connections but fewer victories on record. I'm drawing on the fact that I never remember people bringing up Narn victories the way they talk about Earth's role in the Dilgar War, and the fact that during that war Earth was buying weapons from Narn.

Edit: Wait, the weapons scene I'm thinking of in In The Beginning is in regards to the Minbari, isn't it. I think maybe Earth was buying weapons from the Centauri during the Dilgar War? I forget. I'm pretty sure I remember a reference to Earth buying weapons from one or the other (or both!) of them.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
IIRC, the Centauri refuse to sell weapons to Earth during the Minbari war for fear of provoking the Minbari. The Narn ware willing, but they sell Earth reverse-engineered Centauri weapons to try and frame them.

I think it makes sense to assume most Narn technology is captured or reverse-engineered from the Centauri. Although they don't seem to have artificial gravity on their ships, while the Centauri do. But that might just be something they consider an unnecessary luxury and don't bother with - their ships seem to have a similar 'rough and ready' style to Earth ships.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Angry Salami posted:

I think it makes sense to assume most Narn technology is captured or reverse-engineered from the Centauri. Although they don't seem to have artificial gravity on their ships, while the Centauri do. But that might just be something they consider an unnecessary luxury and don't bother with - their ships seem to have a similar 'rough and ready' style to Earth ships.

I don't remember if this is from a novel or some other non-screen source, but I think the Narn have gravity tech from the Centauri but not the scientific and industrial base to use it effectively in their ships, so they'd rather spend power resources on weapons and thrust and don't build their ships with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

That's just delicious, all the old hands are leaning forward going ehehehheheehe like dark souls npcs

And a couple of them are getting a bit too close to spoilery, so can we all please shut the gently caress up and let them get on?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Part of the problem is that Tom Guycot themselves are posting unmarked spoilers for season 2. Perhaps a helpful mod could remind them to use spoilers?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

CainFortea posted:

It was hostile but in the realm of "we'll secretly attack you" ala Midnight on the Firing Line, rather than provoke open conflict. But IIRC the Narn also openly grabbing territory all around them regardless of neutrality or opposition. They just never openly provoked another major power or Non-Aligned world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A large part of G'Kar's revelation is that the Narn have become the children of abusive parents, passing on violence to their own children because it's the only thing they were taught.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I don't see it? I'll post a reminder though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

sebmojo posted:

I don't see it? I'll post a reminder though.

He talks about Sinclair getting replaced by Sheridan, and is sad that the actor wasn't simply recast. Meaning he spoils Sinclair getting written out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nevermind

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't have any issues with the Sinclair/Sheridan handoff, especially since Sinclair gets a nice send-off IMHO