Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

evobatman posted:

It looks like composite shots are still upscaled from a 480p or similar source. It's pretty jarring once you start noticing it. It's noticeable whenever someone fires a PPG, there is a greenscreen scene or similar. It's VERY noticeable in the finale of the Ironheart episode in season one where the shots switch rapidly between HD scans and SD scans. It can also be seen in the following episode with the eloping Centauris when the racists decloak. That's as far as I have gotten on my rewatch.

The same thing happens on the White Star: shots looking towards the front of the captain's chair are good, reverse shots looking out the front windows are not good. And the battle scene bridge for the Narn cruiser in The Long Twilight Struggle must have been a green screen set or something because they also look upscaled.

Actual HD shots are really good though considering this was a TV show from the 90's with not the world's biggest budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Zat posted:

It looks as good as it ever has. Though the video is slightly more visibly compressed on HBO Max than on Prime Video, smoothing out the film grain a bit, but nothing major.

It's a huge improvement over the DVD versions anyway.

Note also that The Gathering is not remastered, if that's what you started with.

Yeah the actual HD shots are so good that I got a new appreciation for how good the costuming and makeup was. Especially for Londo and G’kar.

On the flip side I noticed in one scene the mesh/hair net thing that Bill Mumy wore under the bonehead prosthetic sticking out a bit. And there was one very heavy, emotional scene that was 90% close-ups on Delenn and it was clear that they messed up the skin to hair transition on the side of her head.

These were in later seasons so no doubt they were due to their attempts to cut down on the time spent in the makeup chair every day.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

That may be the best episode of the series. Not to say the stuff following is bad, but man Severed Dreams is so good. All time great of any show, really.

I've watched it so many times I can probably quote the entire episode from memory.
same. the pacing is pretty much perfect and the battle is so well done that it transcends the age of the CG.

my favorite part though is when major ryan enters the briefing room and sits down, but it's apparent that bruce mcgill is just sitting on a stool until the shot changes

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Making a B5 hashtag trend for a day isn't enough. Gotta spam that whenever WB or CW posts something to social media.

I call it "The Skate4 Gambit"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I just got up to A Voice in the Wilderness 1 and 2, and noticed a (literally) glaring tech anachronism. When Ivanova and Sinclair go down to the planet, they bring flashlights with them. The flashlights are big, bulky, boxy things with what's presumably a large battery pack and an incandescent bulb that's not especially bright. Today you'd have some kind of LED that is much brighter and smaller, uses a tiny battery for longer life, and is less inconvenient to carry (probably mounted on a head strap or their PPG, if not something more wand-sized). The screens being CRTs rather than flat screens like you'd expect now I expected, but the flashlight really jumped out at me as being 'not from the future, not even from the present' when it certainly didn't during the original run. I enjoy spotting things like this, it's not quite as interesting as the daily printed newspaper but is still fun.
a big, heavy flashlight can be useful for other things, like bludgeoning secret robots