Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've read a bit about how Michael O'Hare didn't get along with a lot of the cast and I can't help but wonder how much of that was due to what he was going through that no one else knew about.

I remember reading a Reddit AMA where Claudia Christian was asked about that. She replied with something like "Everyone knew about his illness. He was still an rear end."

I recall Jerry Doyle listing a few specific examples of O'Hare being pretty awful - I read it over a decade ago, I don't know where I'd find it now (fake edit: oh wait this looks like a repost of the same thing I read) - along with a not-mutually-exclusive account of him being a nice guy in one of the comments. Some of it could generously be read as Doyle just being defensive, much of it... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The OP frequently refers to O'Hare in exceptionally derogatory ways so not really on that side, esp given that Doyle was a famously massive dickhead
Yeah - I'm not exactly taking Doyle's account as one of total impartiality, and I'm also not assuming it's 100% made-up. But I'm not going to try to guess which bits are which.

Narsham posted:

Without trying to diagnose a cause, I’d suggest that both Doyle and O’Hare had mixed records behind the scenes, and that it seems likely given their personalities that they wouldn’t like one another.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they both had their moments, good or bad, like anyone. Exactly what the balance of those moments are isn't really something I'd care to try and figure out.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Erulisse posted:

So we get The One as someone yet unknown to us?
I mean it in like, show sense. Some duder is The One and then we find out its Valen, right?

He's given indications that he wouldn't necessarily be aiming to tell the story the same way. It's possible there may be no One, no Valen, even no Shadows or Vorlons. He was vague, of course, and I'm referring to a number of Twitter posts he's been making, but the interpretation I took was anything from a few things being different, to a lot of things being new or totally changed.

Taking the same mysteries and reveals and remixing what happens to who wouldn't be very satisfying. All us old hands would be playing "guess who Valen is" from day one, whereas first time round we didn't even know one of our cast was going to be Valen. I think he gets that (again based on his Twitter posts, I have no actual idea!), so it won't be a question of just going through the same story milestones.

It must be strange writing a new version of something old. You've already got audience expectations, so do you try subverting them, fulfilling them, ignoring them or actively avoiding them? How do you avoid convolution when fitting your story around all that? And would you have to add script elements to undo some assumed/unstated knowledge of the old version, so you can let old viewers know things don't work that way in this version, but without alienating new viewers? Sounds like a minefield.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ugh, now we have to wait a whole year to hear it's being rejected?

I had a feeling this might happen, every post-Babylon 5 project has been stiffed in some way. Well, like he said, it's not over yet, but I'm not exactly hopeful.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Jedit posted:

Now, if you were to ask me if I think B5 will go to production next year, I have to say that I don't think it will. It's very much in the hands of whoever buys the CW, and they will be asking questions like "If it's so good, why didn't you have confidence to make a pilot to use as an asset in the sale?" Against that, though, you have the man who gave the CW its current value fighting in B5's corner and the chance to reboot the original SF narrative drama TV show in its 30th anniversary under its original creator. The message being sent here is definitely "This can be your Star Trek TNG, if you want it". At the moment I'd put the odds at 10:1 against it happening. But not zero.

This. Will different people be making the decision next year? Was there just a lot of good potential shows this year? I don't really know, but none of the possibilities give me a lot of hope. It wasn't picked up for a reason, and "the channel is being sold" isn't a reason - other shows did get picked up. Then channel still needs content after all, and it apparently didn't think Babylon 5 should be among that content. I'm not saying this is a done deal, and JMS' summary is technically true: everything is now just a year later. I have a feeling that what will really happen is that we'll get some variant of the B5 spin-off playbook where the channel requests some changes to greenlight it, JMS grudgingly acceeds to some of them because he thinks he can make them work, then we get an episode order, then more change requests, then either JMS refuses and the channel pulls the plug, or JMS pulls the plug himself.

Or everything goes fine and we get a jaw-dropping new version of B5. I'm still hopeful! Just not optimistic.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Habibi posted:

Honestly, y'all, if this is any kind of thing, it is probably a good thing. The likelihood that they would have been able to produce a passably quality show in the span of, lol,.what, 8 months, with COVID still very much a disruptive and unpredictable element is, IMO, extremely low. Probably lower than the odds of it being picked up for production by new management.

While its future may be uncertain, this at least gives the people involved in the project a year and a half to get their poo poo together.

Personally, I'd rather no B5 remake than one made in a rush, during the aftermath of a network sale, and while a pandemic raged. It would make Legend of the Rangers look good.
I don't know what the usual lead time for a show is, but I would be surprised if more time made much difference here - people would still need to be paid to work on it, and I don't think they're going to do that unless it's greenlit, and it seems like that would happen around this time next year. So other than tweaking the script, I don't know if there's any real gain here.

jng2058 posted:

You know, considering it was the demise of PTEN...caused in part by ChrisCraft choosing to go all in on UPN instead....caused the clusterfuck of cancellation and pickup by TNT that messed up season 4 and 5 of B5's original run, it's more than a little ironic that the collapse of UPN's descendant network the CW is doing the same thing to B5's reboot. History doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme. :sigh:
If it helps the CW isn't collapsing. It's not even clear to me how B5's rejection is related to the sale. Looking at the things they did pick up, maybe it's about maximising attractiveness for any potential purchaser. Supernatural, Walker Texas Ranger and Batman are all proven in some way (I guess?) so feel like safe, stable ground to showcase to buyers.

At least B5 gets another shot next year.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Importing a comment from the blind watch thread:

i really hate it every time someone surprises Sheridan with relevant information about the capabilities of the force he's commanding. What kind of officer takes command and doesn't get a thorough briefing? JMS really struggles to capture military logic sometimes.

It does stick out sometimes, but I think it's a simpler way to deliver that info to us, rather than slowing down the episode for an info-dump briefing that isn't moving the plot along, and is going to contain things that definitely will come back later in the episode. Then again, Q does the same thing in plenty of Bond movies, but I suppose you have the time in a 2 hour film for that.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd feel better about it if we got more good monster of the week episode, but in quasi-serialized shows like B5, it's often clear that the primary focus was on the overarching plot while the one-offs got sent to the quality ghetto.

DS9 did a much better job of splitting the difference, maybe better than any other show I can recall.

In the streaming age when you don't have to wait a week for the next episode, it works. But back in the 90s, I remember being kind of exasperated that DS9 would dangle status-quo-shifting story elements and then either undo them in the final moments, or push them into the background so they could have a regular story next week. One episode, the dominion would be at the gates, and ultimate doom in the air, next episode, it gets a passing reference so we can see what Doctor Bashir's up to today, or what's going down with the Ferengi. I know it was pretty much the only way to get any kind of serialization into a show in the 90s, and they weren't the only ones doing it, but I think it stuck out the most on DS9 because they seemed to be working under some hard episodic rules while trying to tell a story of the alpha quadrant being slowly torn apart.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Chevy Slyme posted:

I think that is maybe the implication of the way Humans ascend beyond known space in Deconstruction of Falling Stars with not a Narn or Centauri to be seen, BUT JMS himself disputed this interpretation fwiw.

Per Lurker's Guide:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/guide/088.html

Also, this exchange from, I think, the first episode after the pilot:

Kosh: They are alone. They are a dying people. We should let them pass.
Sinclair: Who? The Narn or the Centauri?
Kosh: Yes.

...seems to be some in-dialogue reference to this, I guess it could be interpreted the way JMS says it. Although how Kosh knows isn't clear.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

I have to admit, I somehow never saw the asteroid in that scene until the big screenshot ITT. And then I watched the video and you can see it bobbing around in the cannon, and I just can't believe I never noticed it after all these years. Now G'Kar's line makes more sense!

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah, JMS doesn't come across at all well in this, but the B5Scrolls guy has also come across as a condescending douchebag quite often.

The B5Scrolls guy seems kinda determined to pour fuel on the fire and keep a feud going on behalf of grown men who had 20 years to communicate directly with each other. I don't like that JMS is holding a pointless grudge, and I don't really like that the B5Scrolls guy seems unable to let his interviews speak for themselves and has appointed himself defender of Foundation Imaging and the One True Voice of The Facts. He even places himself at the center of events by saying he reignited this whole thing by telling JMS about his interviews in the first place. Like, just stop, no one's winning from this and everyone looks bad.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

It seems to be a case of the stereotypical internet poster who just can't let something go and has to prove everyone else wrong.

My favorite part about this comment is that you could be talking about either of them.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Issaries posted:

As far as I'm concerned, swoopy ships are less advanced :colbert:

This is the good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpVl-gdIyE

The "custom CGI" in this is substantially worse than what we get in the show.

FAKE EDIT: I just read it was created using iClone, a character animation tool, which I think uses something more like a realtime/game engine renderer. It's actually... not bad considering!

Also, you're all wrong, the best space battle is "The Fall of Night". It's short, small-scale, has a lot of tension and a neat story-driven three-sided conflict. And the way the Centauri ship half-crumbles half-explodes is :perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcfQMqcUYY

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Vavrek posted:

Goddamn. I think I'd forgotten. It took me a moment, reading your post, to understand what was being said.

A friend and I randomly decided to start a rewatch last night. We got to Soul Hunter, and Michael O'Hare, Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlann, Richard Biggs and W Morgan Sheppard were all in a scene together. Oof.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

As I say through the "Across the Spiderverse" trailer a couple of days ago, I was just thinking how the multiverse is rapidly starting to get played out after Dr Strange 2, No Way Home, Into the Spiderverse, The Flash 2...

There's lots of branch points in the series where things could have gone very different in the story, so I guess there's a lot of material there. And that really would be "a love letter to the fans" because that sounds like it would be totally incomprehensible to anyone else. That's the real curse of Babylon 5. There was so much story that continuing it for a new audience is impossible, and catering to the existing one is difficult because that's a very finite, and probably shrinking, number of people.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

I can’t imagine JMS letting that happen again. I would be mighty surprised if any reboot or new series didn’t have a multi-season contract.

I'd be more surprised if it did. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a show getting a guaranteed run of seasons. EDIT: Oh, you probably mean the lead actor pulling out, gotcha.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

No I meant a guaranteed run. Sorry I don’t watch supergirl. Was that what happened? JMS always has ‘escape plans’ for actor switches.
It was Batwoman - I don't watch it either, so this is just stuff I've garnered through news feed headlines, but the actress playing Batwoman pulled out after season 1, leaving them in the position of having to write in a new lead character. Since B5 was in a similar spot, I guess that's where my mind went.

quote:

Plenty of shows get multi season deals. Picard, For example.
That's a good point, but I don't think it was a multi season for the show. I think with Picard it may have been a case of Patrick Stewart wanting to limit his time, and agreeing to be contracted for three seasons max. Stewart also talked of 3 seasons being planned, ("we are set up for possibly three years of this show") but it doesn't sound like a sure thing. To be honest, if it was, we might have had a coherent arc to the whole thing.

I know some shows get made with the expense of a second season baked into the cost of setting up the first. Several shows (like Halo) get a second-season announcement before the first has aired, but usually after someone higher up has at least seen the finished first seasons and decided it's got a good chance. The Rings of Power seems like it might have got a 5 season deal, although details are sketchy on what that actually means. However, if it is a guarantee, then the takeaway there is that you have to be the most expensive television series ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Worth remembering that JMS has said a few times now that he's not looking to just tell the story again. According to him, he's interested in exploring the same themes in the same setting, but not planning on taking the same paths. There's a bunch of different ways that could end up, but people worrying about Kosh this or Delenn that might be getting a bit too specific. There may not even be Shadows and Vorlons. The concept of a space station being the focal point of universe-defining events in the face of an overwhelming status quo could go a number of ways.

That does raise another question of why even make a reboot then, why not just make a new show. I dunno. Depends how much of the setting he wants to use, and there is always going to be a boost from old fans.