Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Cactrot posted:

Downshift deathrite shaman to common

*nods sagely*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Aranan posted:

Ban enough things until tortured existence is good

...actually unironically this.

bring that power level way the gently caress down

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stompy players are so polite and love playing against Stonehorn Dignitary:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BGrifter posted:

Naw, unban Hymn to Tourach and Sinkhole.

Otherwise that seems reasonable.

Hymn and Sinkhole were only recently banned at my LGS because of unification. They ran "paper only commons/all paper commons legal/no MTGO commons" from 2014-2019 or something like that

I never had a problem those two in, well, in the last few years. I've mentioned it before. I catch a whole FUCKLOAD of flack about it if I bring it up on /r/pauper

Hymn sucked when MBC was a great deck. It really, really sucked. Hymn sucked a whole helluva lot less once MBC stopped being a good deck, because MBC is the only pauper deck it fits in.
You can't just jam Hymn in every black deck, despite what people that have never played with it think. Even with Hymn legal there were mono-black decks you couldn't run it in (suicide black/zombies/etc)
Once MBC wasn't the T1 deck to beat, Hymn stopped being a problem. Post Drake people stopped playing the deck, stopped putting Hymn in the mainboard.
I keep notes: the last time I saw MBC show up there were 6 or less copies between the two decks. I didn't ask about how they sideboarded Hymn and only observed round 3 matches.

Never, ever, saw Sinkhole.
It used to be really loving expensive at $24 each
Nobody wanted to be that guy and play Sinkhole. It dropped to $3 or $4 each, and still nobody wanted to be that guy. I've literally never seen one played despite it being legal for every single pauper match I've ever played. Paper Pauper has more societal restraints on it than MTGO does.

High Tide: it's just like Helsau predicted so many years ago. Once that loving Drake was banned they evaporated from the format. I stopped playing for that entire time (in paper) when Peregrine Drake was legal and when I came back nobody it. I asked, and noted down in my notebook: even the high tide player was done with the card. They removed his payoff. Unban it for all I care: it's no worse than the other half-dozen blue cards that deserve banning.
WOTC didn't even need to ban Merchant Scroll when they unified the format, so they didn't.

Side Note: we didn't have Chainer's Edict or Battle Screech. The former required a change in MBC to the less-worse than Chainer's (I can't find my notes but, iirc, it was a 2/4 split between Geth's Verdict and Diabolic Edict). The later was $15 for a playset and has been basically unplayable the entire time it's been illegal, despite what The Professor said. (I've come to realize he's full of poo poo when presenting pauper decks...but at least his decks give everybody easy wins? yay?)

Go ahead, abuse me like the /r/pauper dickheads do. Tell me that i'm WRONG. I don't care. I've been playing with the "unified" cards the entire time I've been playing paper pauper.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Goblin Grenade is the real poo poo though.

I'm glad you guys finally get to play with it. Yeah, I know it's overshadowed by Asrtolabe and the Tron lands right now.

It's really, really good. But not so good it should be banned. It's right on that edge. Goblin Grenade bumps up Goblins to Burn like levels.
Goblins w/Goblin Grenade vs Burn is, quite literally, a dice roll. He who goes first will likely win unless the other draws a nut-hand.
Burn comes and goes, but imagine if there were two completely different Burn-like decks that attacked you on two different axis that you had to worry about creeeping up into your midrange grindy format.

Y'all aren't even seeing it yet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Burn almost certainly dies horribly to Goblins if Burn is running Lavarunner/Thermoalchemist - if Burn points 6 bolts at the Goblins player, but doesn't draw the 7th bolt and instead draws a creature or two that get burnt, then Goblins takes it. Curse also doesn't carry its weight when Goblins gets a Bushwacker draw.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
As a serious question, How much Blue would you have to ban before Delver becomes not the best creature in the best colour?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hellsau posted:

Stompy players are so polite and love playing against Stonehorn Dignitary:

Do you keep getting matched with the same south american dude again and again?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Lobster posted:

There are very few people playing in the leagues for pauper, if you're always playing the same time of day you'll probably play alot of the same people. If you do two leagues in a row there is a good chance I'll play at least the same person in both.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Torchlighter posted:

As a serious question, How much Blue would you have to ban before Delver becomes not the best creature in the best colour?

Counterspell
Mana Leak
Spellstutter Sprite
Ninja of the Deep Hours
Echoing Truth
Hydroblast
Blue Elemental Blast
Basic Island

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

GoutPatrol posted:

There are very few people playing in the leagues for pauper, if you're always playing the same time of day you'll probably play alot of the same people. If you do two leagues in a row there is a good chance I'll play at least the same person in both.

Oh, that sucks, I thought the Pauper population was higher in MTGO.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

That dude probably enjoys playing against Stonehorn so much that they just jam the queues over and over and drop from the match if they don't get matched against it. They just cannot get enough!

alternately they're living a nightmare, having to play against Stonehorn Tron with Stompy over and over

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh, that sucks, I thought the Pauper population was higher in MTGO.

I think the MTGO population in general is down, with many players migrating to Arena.

Unfortunately it seems unlikely we’ll ever see the older sets in Arena, so MTGO will remain the only official option to play Pauper online.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

here's a thread with people saying Weather the Storm is bannable

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

the op clarifies in one of the replies that he thinks tron lands and astrolabe are fine, it's weather the storm that's the problem

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

the op clarifies in one of the replies that he thinks tron lands and astrolabe are fine, it's weather the storm that's the problem

Maybe Weather the Storm is busted and I'm missing out, but I cannot imagine that card fitting into a 75 over, say, a second copy of Pulse of Murasa or the first three copies of Lone Missionary. Like cool, you played three spells and Weather and gained 12, is the setup cost plus not getting a creature/land back worth the extra 6 life over a Pulse?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

But you can gain UP TO TWELVE LIFE SOMETIMES on like turn 6

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m not convinced it’s a problem, but I do like the idea of downshifting Skullcrack.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Unban Empty the Warrens

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I can only believe they got the wrong Shaman and wanted to put in Gorilla Shaman, which is a bad card to board in but not as bad as that.

I'm on a 14 game winning streak with Creature Snow Tron. Deck is good. Check my list from the Challenge tomorrow whenever they post the lists, and swap the CoP Red for another Lone Missionary.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

I can only believe they got the wrong Shaman and wanted to put in Gorilla Shaman, which is a bad card to board in but not as bad as that.

I'm on a 14 game winning streak with Creature Snow Tron. Deck is good. Check my list from the Challenge tomorrow whenever they post the lists, and swap the CoP Red for another Lone Missionary.

i was watching your challenge videos with it the other day, match 4 was a real hoot.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

i was watching your challenge videos with it the other day, match 4 was a real hoot.

lol yeah I rewatched that one, god drat Relic is loving terrible

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hey Hellsau, I have an untimed pauper league coming up, how would you build Tron if time wasn't a concern? If expect a few mirrors

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Flea Bargain posted:

Hey Hellsau, I have an untimed pauper league coming up, how would you build Tron if time wasn't a concern? If expect a few mirrors

Dunno. Capsize is probably unplayable since all the decent Tron builds can mostly ignore it or heavily punish it, so you're gonna want Horrors or a pile of counterspells as a win condition. This list has been great for me:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2120164#paper

You'll want 2 Ephemerate 4 Flicker, that was a failed experiment. Swap the fourth Wall for a second maindeck Moment's Peace, using the remaining sideboard slot for either a fifth Red Blast, second Dispel, fifth Blue Blast or third Lone Missionary.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I lost to Stompy.

I was slightly displeased. There's a Moment's Peace in exile. That's a tremendous number of lands to go through in 26 cards.

e: also I played 110 matches this week, just under 72% winrate, and I got 66 chests and some number of play points that I can't care to remember. Tron is busted.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
CFB had a couple of "top 20 decks in Pauper" articles and your Tron list was #1

Also what are the odds Astrolabe gets canned in the next B&R announcement?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

CFB had a couple of "top 20 decks in Pauper" articles and your Tron list was #1

Also what are the odds Astrolabe gets canned in the next B&R announcement?

zero changes next Monday are likely unfortunately, there's still a large contingent of people who refuse to admit how fuckin' stupid Astrolabe is

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
There’s zero chance Astrolabe is getting banned any time soon.

Introducing a bunch of new players to the newly unified format, encouraging them to drop $50+ on a pile of Snowy lands then screwing them over by banning Astrolabe would kill a ton of fledgling paper Pauper communities. It’d be suicide for the format.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BGrifter posted:

There’s zero chance Astrolabe is getting banned any time soon.

Introducing a bunch of new players to the newly unified format, encouraging them to drop $50+ on a pile of Snowy lands then screwing them over by banning Astrolabe would kill a ton of fledgling paper Pauper communities. It’d be suicide for the format.

personally i think what would be bad for fledgling paper pauper communities is having a format that completely sucks rear end

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, there's a Rags to Riches at Card Kingdom on the 31st. Should I just jam Tron?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

little munchkin posted:

personally i think what would be bad for fledgling paper pauper communities is having a format that completely sucks rear end

Most LGS communities have super diverse fields that don’t even remotely resemble the hardcore MTGO scene right now.

It’s possible in six months or more the paper scene could get as toxic as the MTGO players describe but we’re not there yet. Plus it seems a lot more likely they’ll ban Tron and see how it shakes out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Some Numbers posted:

So, there's a Rags to Riches at Card Kingdom on the 31st. Should I just jam Tron?

I hate Tron and I would say yes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

yeah tron is busted, so many insanely good matchups and no outright horrible ones anymore now that the burn matchup is better.

BGrifter posted:

Plus it seems a lot more likely they’ll ban Tron and see how it shakes out.

lol they can't ban tron and only tron because then the various grindy astrolabe/ephemerate decks entirely take over with zero predators

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tron isn't even especially busted in paper, the format where you can pick up draws because your opponent chooses to play slow

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you're not watching Caleb Gannon's videos on Youtube, you're really missing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhYmcT8_f7w

I want to build this, it looks super fun to play :)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

yeah tron is busted, so many insanely good matchups and no outright horrible ones anymore now that the burn matchup is better.
How good is your build in paper?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

If you're not watching Caleb Gannon's videos on Youtube, you're really missing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhYmcT8_f7w

I want to build this, it looks super fun to play :)

This deck is so jank I'm amazed it actually works.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

How good is your build in paper?

entirely dependant on how well you can keep your opponent's continually making plays, and how well the judges choose to enforce slowplay rules

so probably not great but if you don't play against cheaters then it's probably pretty fantastic as it is online

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I doubt CK players would cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I did my fuckin' best to win this game against Goblins, but MTGO did not want me to:

I had 4 lands in my 27 card library at the end.