Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If I wanted to put together a handful of decks to smash into each other, what would a good spread of interesting archetypes be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Could do worse than going to MTGTop8 and looking at some league 5-0s.

How many decks did you want to throw together, and do you want to put together sideboards for them?

Probably no more than half a dozen, just for some variety. I haven't decided about sideboards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

If you've got a good LGS you can probably make up some lists and pick all the cards up for like $100.

I want to throw Burn together, but Chain Lightnings, Rift Bolts and Lava Spikes are all multiple dollars at my LGS.

Which is Card Kingdom.

But yeah, that was my plan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, I just looked at that third picture. There's a Pauper Oops All Spells?! I need a list for that and Song of the Damned.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Falkenrath Noble, Grixis Slavedriver and Dinrova Horror seem pretty exciting.

Am I underrating T Wrath?

Edit: Scorched Rusalka also seems pretty relevant at common?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Granted, 5 is a huge number for R, but in Burn you're never hardcasting it and you can't set it up.

It seems great for an Izzet deck though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fair enough! I'm willing to believe it's pretty great.

What would you say is the ideal Burn list at this point?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

4 Curse of the Pierced Heart

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blaze
2 Flame Rift
4 Thunderous Wrath
4 Fireblast

16 Mountain
2 Forgotten Cave

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Could Spike Jester, along with Jund Hackblade and Rakdos Shred-Freak work as a core to a BR aggro deck?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Rules question, since I hate miracle triggers.

I'm flicker rats playing against NuBurn. They draw Thunderous Wrath, reveal, and put the miracle trigger on the stack. Can I flicker a Chittering Rat to put the Thunderous Wrath back on top of their deck, preventing the Thunderous Wrath from being cast?

Addendum, if that's possible. Later in the turn, if they deal draw the Thunderous Wrath again would they be able to trigger Miracle? I'm assuming no because it is no longer their first card of the turn but you never know.

I have no idea how the first interaction works, but the second one definitely doesn't. Miracle is only the first card you draw, so they'd pass the turn and then Needle Drop you to Miracle it.

I wasn't sure how much I liked Needle Drop, but it makes Wrath more palatable, so maybe it's still worth the slot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ash Barrens over one of the Evolving Wilds?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i know this reveals me to be a terrible magic player but ash barrens into bounceland, float colorless, landcycle ash barrens was.... well it was erotic

As soon as the turn one Ash Barrens was played, I knew what was happening.

A million years ago, my friend and I used to make similar lines with cycling lands in Prismastic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Voyager I posted:

That's regular teachings (with maybe a single copy of Capsize and Curse of the Bloody Tome as well). I was figuring the point of the extra 30 cards was so you could just dispense entirely with petty things like 'win conditions' and just rely on having a thicker library than your opponent.

I think you can also Capsize everything and hit them with Dinrova Horrors probably?

Oh nevermind, that build runs no creatures. Interesting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I wish I had a local shop that did Pauper on a regular basis. :smith:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wizards really needs to reprint Battle Screech.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There’s a Rags to Riches this weekend? poo poo, I keep missing those.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I actually don't have any plans this weekend, so that's highly tempting.

I need a deck that I can play without any practice that can do decently well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cactrot posted:

I still have Pauper Burn sleeved up from the last event, you can borrow that.

SOLD

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cactrot posted:

PM'ed you with meetup info.

Perfect, see you tomorrow!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

Either of y’all have 4 sunscape familiar I could borrow for the tournament? They’ve only got 1 for sale

Actually yes. I have most of a Flicker deck that I don't have nearly enough reps with. I'll make sure to bring it with me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

Awesome. I’ll legit be the tallest person in the room so I’ll stand out.

Do you need anything else?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Somehow got a bye round 1.

Still out after round 5

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh goddammit, I just checked my stock and I apparently only have two Ash Barrens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tron is kind of control?

Part of the issue is that there aren't very many Wraths at common, so you have to run a lot of spot removal. You could try Monoblack, since it gets to run Pestilence?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I did find an Abzan Enchantment Control deck that grinds out games with lifegain and Pestilence and I'm considering putting that together.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't know that Wizards cares about Pauper because rares sell packs (which is why duals are still rare), but if they did, reprinting Chainer's Edict, Ash Barrens, Gush and a few other cards would go a long way.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Tell me about Pauper Mill because I have a gimmick to maintain. The closest thing I know to that is UG Turbofog with Jace's Erasure.

There's also Curse of the Bloody Tome.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

They enable Skred.

Not in a UB deck they don't.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So, bouncelands aren't actually that complicated. You generally want to spend mana and then play the bounceland to return a basic, but you can also return a Dismal Backwater or Radiant Fountain which will gain you more life.

Another sweet play that this deck doesn't have access to is tapping a cycling land for mana, playing a bounceland, returning the cycling land and then cycling it. Works really well with Ash Barrens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The only common instants that target a player to draw are Inspiration and its Surge clone and Oona's Grace. Oona's Grace might not actually be that bad.

You could also run a Vision Charm, which is U, Instant, Mill 4.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Especially in this case, since Mental Note literally can't target the opponent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Did something happen recently that made the Freed from the Real deck much less good?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

People play counterspells and removal? I can't imagine that Freed deck beating Izzet Delver ever.

Wouldn't Gigadrowse go a long way to helping that?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So as the :swoon: over the Ash Barrens spoiler begins to fade, I'm left with some big questions: how low do we expect the card to drop and when I should I jump on them to get the 12ish I want to get?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ash Barrens is not necessary in mono blue Delver (especially if you're running Spire Golem). The UR Delver decks run it to 1) get their Mountain and 2) as a shuffle effect for Brainstorm.

The BG deck might get some value out of Barrens, but it's hard to say without seeing the manabase.

Barrens is at its best in three color decks or decks with a light splash and (imo) is generally better than Terramorphic/Evolving Wilds, especially if you have bouncelands.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Get as many as you need at $1. Mishra's Bauble went from $20-30 to $4.50. Ash Barrens has much lower demand and starts from $8, so hopefully it'll go pretty low.
This is good news, I didn't realize Bauble cratered that much. Card Kingdom is preordering M25 Barrens at $2 each and I'm seriously considering jumping on that.

quote:

There's a chance that A25 is undraftable garbage with little value and doesn't get opened much but we'll see.
Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

He's an okay guy, but I'm with Kabuki, his voice is incredibly grating.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, basically the only interesting things are the reprints of Nettle Sentinel and Ash Barrens.

Incidentally, Hellsau, I was looking back through the thread for decks to put together and found this cute deck. What changes would you suggest to bring this deck current?

quote:

4 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Exclude
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Snow-Covered Forest
4 Swirling Sandstorm
4 Mystical Teachings
3 Shimmering Grotto
4 Skred
4 Accumulated Knowledge
8 Snow-Covered Island
3 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Sprout Swarm
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Flame Slash
4 Prohibit

4 Gurmag Angler
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Hydroblast
4 Pyroblast
2 Electrickery

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Does anyone happen to know what's up with the card Predatory Hunger? The Exodus set symbol on it appears to be a silver uncommon symbol but every card database I can find lists it as being common and legal for pauper, despite having no other printings.

It's actually a black symbol. Check out the Keeper cycle and you'll see what the Exodus uncommon symbol looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

By Probe do you mean Probe or Git Probe?

I agree with everything else you said.