Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Anyone in Canada have suggestions for a place if I wanted to slowly start buying up full playsets of commons by set?

Shipping seems to be the big barrier. So many eBay listings are charging $5+ in shipping for 70 cards. Kind of insane when I can get a barbell for weight lifting shipped free. Guess it’s a way to pad their profits.

I kind of like the idea of throwing $20 per paycheque at buying a couple common sets online till I eventually end up with a huge play set for Pauper. I don’t have the time, money or interest to get back into real competitive formats but Pauper has me intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mezzanon posted:

Local game stores or face to face games?

Emailed our local game stores. Face to Face games looks perfect though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It’s less that I expect most of it to be playable and more that I’d enjoy collecting sets of commons from the sets I grew up with in the 90s. It’s a cheap way to relive a bit of my childhood.

Obviously I could just buy four of the good cards and ignore the rest of most sets.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Awwwww yeah. My Choking Sands arrived today (also a playset of Gush) and my AN Cuombajj Witches are ready to go. :getin:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

That Mono-Black Control list in 6th place instantly makes the format cool and good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Framboise posted:

Rather bummed Sinkhole got autobanned. If Sinkhole and Hymn were in the format, monoblack might actually be more than mediocre.

Unban Sinkhole, unban Hymn to Tourach, downshift Necropotence to common. I just want to relive the Black Summer over and over again till the end of time. :getin:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hellsau posted:

necro would be unplayable in pauper

It wasn’t a serious post.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Now that Wizards has said they’re designing commons with Pauper in mind, I wonder if they intend to address Tron through new cards since it was such a glaring omission in the last wave of bans.

What could they downshift or design that would tone down Tron without making it completely unplayable?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The normal one for Mountains, one for Swamps, one for Plains and one for Forests.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Anyone have any good/interesting Mystic Teachings lists?

I get that everything that’s not Tron is unplayable trash. But let’s assume I’m ok with bringing a tier two deck to my local game store for some casual Pauper games.

The Astrolabe/Snowy kit making for easier access to splashes seems interesting. Also someone pointed out that Desert is now legal and I have some Arabian Nights ones that would be fun to play with.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Naw, unban Hymn to Tourach and Sinkhole.

Otherwise that seems reasonable.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GoutPatrol posted:

Unbanning sinkhole would finally give MBC a chance against Tron, so I totally agree.

Oh I don’t have any coherent balance argument to make for unbanning them. I just like both cards and want to play them in TYOOL 2019. Balance be damned.

(ooh, downshift Balance and every other broken Vintage card)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Aranan posted:

Ban enough things until tortured existence is good

Print Recurring Nightmare and Survival of the Fittest at common.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Framboise posted:

Unban literally everything and let a banlist make itself based on which cards cause fistfights and table flips

Reprint Chaos Orb. Sell them in booster packs of 15 Chaos Orbs for $2 so they can be shredded and used as intended.

Edit: Oh and downshift Memory Jar.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh, that sucks, I thought the Pauper population was higher in MTGO.

I think the MTGO population in general is down, with many players migrating to Arena.

Unfortunately it seems unlikely we’ll ever see the older sets in Arena, so MTGO will remain the only official option to play Pauper online.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’m not convinced it’s a problem, but I do like the idea of downshifting Skullcrack.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
There’s zero chance Astrolabe is getting banned any time soon.

Introducing a bunch of new players to the newly unified format, encouraging them to drop $50+ on a pile of Snowy lands then screwing them over by banning Astrolabe would kill a ton of fledgling paper Pauper communities. It’d be suicide for the format.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

little munchkin posted:

personally i think what would be bad for fledgling paper pauper communities is having a format that completely sucks rear end

Most LGS communities have super diverse fields that don’t even remotely resemble the hardcore MTGO scene right now.

It’s possible in six months or more the paper scene could get as toxic as the MTGO players describe but we’re not there yet. Plus it seems a lot more likely they’ll ban Tron and see how it shakes out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It's bizarre how quickly the format becomes unplayably toxic in MTGO, yet manages to be diverse and thriving in paper. I guess when you can play hundreds of games a week of something it's less interesting than when you play ten games a week at your LGS.

I don't know how Wizards could possibly keep the MTGO community happy at the pace they chew through and "solve" metas resulting in stagnation, while still keeping the format interesting and accessible to the paper community. Significant quarterly bans in MTGO would probably do it, but Timmy won't even have time for his order from TCGPlayer to arrive before discovering core pieces of his deck are banned.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jabor posted:

Interesting that apparently every frequent player's opinion is "astrolabe has got to go".

The obvious answer is to ban all the frequent players.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The RIW pauper 1k is starting right now!

We officially made the largest pauper tournament in America with over 144 players

Just watched Tron lose to Familiars and that was super fun! I’ll switch to the big screen TV for the next match. Thank you for posting this.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mezzanon posted:

give me a rundown on the pauper 1k. any spicy lists? any great plays? give me stories

Mono-Black Control won in the finals vs Mono-Blue Delver. Goblins and Jeskai Astrolabe were the other two decks in the top four. The field was incredibly diverse, a bit heavy on Elves from what the stream was showing, and The Professor brought Fling/Atog Affinity. They promised to post the top eight deck lists to MTGtop8 soon and The Professor will be doing a video on the event.

At least based on what we saw on the stream it looked like a fun, thriving and extremely diverse format.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
No bans in any format announced today. :woop:

After the Pauper 1k above I'm thrilled to see it. Off the top of my head I remember seeing MBC, Mono-Blue Delver, Goblins, Jeskai Snow, Elves, Suicide Black, Stompy, Fog Tron, Affinity, Familiars and Mono-White Heroic. Those were just the feature matches on stream and I missed several rounds.

It's possible the naysayers will be proven right and in six months Jeskai Snow will be so oppressive bans are necessary, but as of right now it sure doesn't look that dominant.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Welp. Astrolabe ban cost us a few more local paper players. It was enough to get the LGS to cancel Pauper events entirely and go back to holding Commander events twice a week.

Closest paper Pauper event now is over four hours drive by car. RIP

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cactrot posted:

Uh, sounds like your local pauper scene was full of babies if banning a broken card was enough to get them to drop a format.

It wasn’t on super solid ground to begin with. People were upset after dropping $40 CAD for a playset of Skreds and a bunch more on Snowy lands.

It only took losing a small handful of players for the LGS owner to bail. He was reluctant to run Pauper events in the first place. The problem is more our terrible local game stores than the format. But it sucks nonetheless.

Edit: You’re not wrong to say our local paper MTG scene is overrun with babies. It’s... not great.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 26, 2019

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Edit: Honestly the rest is unnecessary fluff and my disappointment. This is the real meat of it:

Really the bottom line is the LGS owner was happy for an excuse to say "Well, we tried it and it didn't work, back to Commander!".

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 26, 2019

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GoutPatrol posted:

Izzet Delver has been a deck for years, you don't need to play Astrolabe to get into it.

I agree! The pieces are all useful for other stuff. But they nerdraged it up. :shrug:

Hell, they could even sell them online and get a good chunk of what they paid back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hellsau posted:

to be fair astrolabe should have been banned in July and then maybe people wouldn't have been heavily incentivized to switch from basics to snow basics at a huge cost relative to the rest of the format

also it really pisses me off that they went for a half-measure ban, inexplicably leaving Ephemerate and Flicker around, meaning they are going to need to ban stuff either shortly before or shortly after the Format Championships, literally the most important Pauper tournament with an enormous first place prize

Honestly you're probably right. Had they banned it back then it would have happened before our LGS started running weekly Pauper events.