Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Turns out Elves is a terrible deck that can't beat Crypt Rats.

hi all

i've been playing elves a bunch and this is really true

also there's a real bad UG sprout swarm/coiling oracle/essence warden deck that Im going to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Want a really fun Teachings deck for paper? Skred Teachings. Here's the list I made in paper:

Sprout Swarm is a very fast win condition in paper. It is very much not good for MTGO. This list was made a few months ago, so it'd be updated with more Ash Barrens soon.

so i've played this a little bit and holy poo poo is swirling sandstorm a powerhouse.

any thought to adding a rewind or two in here? they're really good once you get to the sprout swarm part of the game

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

isn't sac neonate->pitch firebolt-> draw a card basically ancestral recall?

(lol)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

you should be playing UG Turbofog. bogles can't beat 8 moment's peace

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Does it have the same ban list as modern? If it does you can look at some place like mtggoldfish and then just start whacking cards that aren't legal. Based on decks that I expect to lose the least, I'd look at:

Stompy
Goblins
Tron

If the ban list is different, then you can look at:
Affinity
Izzet Blitz (this is real good if you get to play treasure cruises and probes, ponder, preordain, plus your opponents lose access to hydro/pyroblast)
Tron again since you get Cloudposts

blue decks get way worse if you can't play ponder or preordain, since you for sure are losing Counterspell and Brainstorm (where appropriate)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Tron doesn't really lose anything aside from some sideboard cards like Tangle or Moment's Peace. I can't think of anything that Stompy loses.

quirion ranger

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

take out all the creatures

play 4 thunderous wrath 4 magma jet

e: nvm people finally stopped playing non-Keldon Marauder creatures. idk then just add all of the 1 mana 3 damage spells, fireblasts, then jets, then wraths

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

on the other hand you could just draw it in your draw step and then pay one mana and deal five damage, at the cost of not playing many other bad cards

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PJOmega posted:

The Cartouches really bump boggles up. Especially in the burn heavy environment that people seem to like around here.

oh good bogles getting a boost

great

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

god bless you, Hellsau. good to see Legacy powerhouse Snuff Out in your list

e: if you recoil a noble, kindhearted Journey to Nowhere, that should be illegal, and you should go to jail

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 11, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau, as pauper whisperer, I need you to explain this thing to me:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-ubg-39542#paper

I guess the joke is that you're ramping into 3 and 4 mana land destruction spells and then... ???

are pauper mana bases that land-light and bad that this works?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

trillocity posted:

The guy playing that UB Reanimator deck you played against in the quarters was kungfutrees, who uploads most of his challenge runs to YouTube. Here's your match against him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iXlIeG_bQA

i know this reveals me to be a terrible magic player but ash barrens into bounceland, float colorless, landcycle ash barrens was.... well it was erotic

Hellsau posted:

Played against that UGb LD deck. It's unplayable garbage. I beat it rather convincingly with Familiars, a deck with 6 bouncelands and difficult color requirements. It seems like that deck literally only beats Tron and opponents who never draw out of the mana screw.

i am unsurprised to learn this but I want desperately to be able to cast Temporal Springs

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

we haven't played since ash barrens was printed you dingus

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

every time i think about playing modo, or basically any game online where I would have to interact with the online public, I am reminded how big of a mistake that is

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hellsau can you please do a tron sideboarding strategy for UG Turbofog because after 3-0ing a GP Seattle side event I'm pretty convinced it is the best deck in the format

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

stonehorn

I'm coming for you with my fogs and my respites and my tangles

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ban ghostly flicker

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mostly they should ban the extremely dishonorable card pyroblast so simple Jace's Erasure mages such as myself can play in peace

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what on earth is this:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1082779#paper

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'm going to defeat this tron menace with my sideboard of four dispel, four hydroblast, and my trusty Jace's Erasures

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i once lost a game in which i blind flipped a turn one delver. delver is clearly fine

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

my friend, take those UG lands and sleeve up your arcane denials and jace's erasures

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

They then cast a Swirling Sandstorm

:eyepop:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

"Suddenly" isn't the term I'd use. It's never been playable. The deck does literal nothing if you don't have the namesake enchantment in your top 10 cards, it has no filtering to find it, it doesn't do anything all that impressive when it does have it, it's glacially slow to perform its feats of mediocrity, and it doesn't even have an unbeatable late game like a deck with all of the above flaws needs to be playable. I've ground it down with Ghostly Flickers and Reaping the Graves more often than not. On top of all that, it can't beat graveyard hate, countermagic, or enchantment removal, or the card Pillar of Flame.

okay but why is it unplayable

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

you forgot about bojuka bog

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Delver of Secrets.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Serious question. What is Magic, as Garfield intended?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Static Equilibrium posted:

Man, I thought people got mad playing against Hellsau’s tron list, but I’ve been playing some absolutely heinous Ux turbofog lists, and it brings out a whole new level of saltiness in people.

I play the UG version and it’s an absolute delight. Most of my opponents have been cool about it though

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Its one glaring weakness is that Jace's Erasure's printing at common is an outlier, since there's been like three or four similar effects printed since that are all uncommon. One single Jace's Erasure isn't a fast enough clock if the opposition has any viable gameplan, so you're stuck digging to try to find two to end the game before they can fight back.

i've found it to be pretty consistent with the Infinite Cantrips you have access to, plus transmuting Muddle the Mixtures. as you've said in this thread tho it 100% folds to pyroblast

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

having gotten an earth rift fizzled by ghostly flicker, and then the flashback on earth rift also ghostly flickered, it really does make you want to die

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

UG Turbofog will have its revenge you monster

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what on earth is the idea there

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Playing Foil when both players are tapped out feels dirty.

Hitting a Soul Manipulation that's targeting a Mnemonic Wall feels dirtier.

Following that up with Flicker targeting two Dinrova Horrors and hitting their Angler feels like winning.

Making them disconnect feels amazing.

i'm calling the police

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ban tortured existence so people stop trying to make it work

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

little munchkin posted:

splitting the userbase while releasing foil into the format was pretty bad timing huh

i played in an event last night and after playing a turn 1 delver countered my opponent's first four spells without paying any mana for the counterspells. Format is the best it's ever been, imo

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

how unlucky is it that pteramander isn't a common

i feel like I want 4 more good threats in UB Delver. I only have 8

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

git probe and gush are banned in legacy for a reason

because wotc are cowards with no imagination, agreed

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

neaden posted:

So far it's been doing ok, but a bit inconsistent. I sometimes have trouble getting the last bits of damage in, especially if I've had to use Bolts and Temper as removal. Any suggestions for things t change?

insolent neonate is really bad, especially when you aren't already playing the full set of faithless lootings. max out those, maybe play another tormenting voice, play arrogant wurm like Hellsau said. with the rancors that gives basically all of your guys evasion and they're all huge

edit: I noodled on insolent neonate a little bit longer but I still don't like it. I get the joke, which is to have more ways to play a turn 3 wurm, and it carries a rancor just fine, but I like having a whole mess of creatures that don't die to bolt instead. I think having the wurm on turn 3 is overstated in terms of importance. Play against affinity where they just poo poo out 4/4s forever and also play some other spell. You can do the same thing.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 10, 2019

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I do not like playing thermo-alchemist in a deck with reactive cards like counterspell and vapor snag. That and the archer are easier threats to remove than, say, Spire Golem or Gurmag Angler, and I'm not convinced that winning outside of combat is enough upside to open yourself up to more interaction from your opponents.

otoh, pauper is about having a good time and playing cards you want to play, so I'm going to play this: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1716392#online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

lol imagine playing that land destruction deck and the opponent just goes turn 1 quirion ranger or even just a llanowar elves

i am imagining it because it happened in a side event at gp niagara falls. my mono black opponent was displeased