Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

If you don't want to play Drake, see you in January!

I've done a bunch of leagues this week and people seem to be adjusting to drake a bit. I see mono-blue delver and green 1-drop aggro more than I do Drake combo. It does seem to be pushing all of the midrange value decks out of the format though, except for mono-black, which I don't really get since the deck seems awful vs. drake.

Here's a deck I built, I don't know how good it is but I've been winning 60% of my matches or so with it. Been winning some sick rear end draft commons from treasure chests.

Deck: Dmir Trinket Control

//Main
1 Capsize
1 Cavern Harpy
3 Chainer's Edict
3 Counterspell
4 Dimir Guildgate
3 Disfigure
4 Dismal Backwater
2 Duress
2 Evincar's Justice
2 Evolving Wilds
3 Executioner's Capsule
2 Gurmag Angler
5 Island
1 Mortuary Mire
4 Mulldrifter
2 Negate
4 Preordain
4 Sea Gate Oracle
2 Seat of the Synod
2 Swamp
1 Tragic Slip
3 Trinket Mage
2 Vault of Whispers

//Sideboard
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Counterspell
2 Diabolic Edict
2 Dispel
1 Duress
1 Evincar's Justice
2 Negate
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Remove Soul
1 Tanglebloom
1 Viridian Longbow

Display deck statistics

Would not mind some critiques or suggestions for Trinket Mage tech.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

How do non-black decks deal with Bogles?

Either sideboard hate (Standard Bearer or Serene Heart are pretty brutal) or a combo kill since Bogles can't interact at all. Some decks like Tron run a bunch of fog effects.

Also like Modern, a lot of people's Bogles plan is "hope you don't play against it".

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Please do not sideboard the card "Relic of Progenitus" in against Peregrine Drake combo decks. It will more often than not be actively harmful to your gameplan. Frequently, people will play it, then hold up a mana for multiple turns without cracking the drat thing, and when they finally get to pop the Relic to eat a Ghostly Flicker, the Drake player just plays another goddamn Flicker, because they've seen 35 cards or whatever. I just got out of a game against UB Teachings where game 3 they played a turn 1 Relic that did worse than nothing. They started game three at under 5 minutes on their clock. They were using the Relic to clear my graveyard out, while I was just using counterspells to force through 2-for-1 creatures to grind them out. As my creatures started dying, I would exile them to the Relic, because why not? It's not like I play a Reaping the Graves. A good number of turns later, after I have four creatures exiled from Relic tapping and a reasonable amount of power on the board, my opponent casts Mystical Teachings to tutor for Crypt Incursion.

So they paid a mana, discarded a card, and paid twelve life. I killed them with the combo. That is not a good magic card! That is a bad magic card! Don't loving side in graveyard hate against Drake decks, because they're just going to draw twenty more cards than you and still combo you out.

Relic lets you tap down low during your turn without having to worry about dying to the combo kill. Seems pretty bad in teachings though since the deck operates at instant speed anyways.

I agree it's not great, but of course it's not great against Drake combo. If there was a card that was good against multiple resolved mulldrifters than I would be playing that card instead.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Aranan posted:

I'm looking to build a little pauper deck collection in paper form so my friends and I can just grab some decks and play. So far I've got a pretty huge list of decks and I'm trying to figure out which ones to build first.

R Goblins
G Stompy
U Delver
B Mono-black Control
UB Angler Delver
UB Teachings
UR Izzet Blitz
GU Freed from the Real http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/freed-from-the-real-aleco-pors-2nd-place/
GW Midnight Gond / Soul Sisters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HfW6luYGQ
GW Slivers
WRG Bogles
URG Affinity
WUR Jeskai Kuldotha
UBR Eggs
GWB Tortured Existence

I thought I'd start with the bold decks to get the most variety, but I'm not sure. Anyone have suggestions or additions? And yes, I realize GW Slivers may not be super competitive but it's going to be my dumb pet deck.

If you're building a bunch of decks for you and your friends to have fun with, teachings and bogles seem like awful choices. Elves seems like a pretty obvious add if you're looking for tier decks. As far as fun stuff, pauper caw-blade is a pretty fun deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Hot take: UWR Metalcraft is a really bad deck. Build Grixis Metalcraft instead.

Acid Trip is another deck that you should build instead of jeskai metalcraft.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Aranan posted:

Teaching seems like a decent control deck, but I can see bogles being unfun.

It's good, but it's super boring to lose to someone casting Evincar's Justice with buyback 10 times in a row. I'd recommend a version with creatures (sea gate oracle, mulldrifter, gurmag angler). Or the U/B control deck a page or two ago.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I may be missing something real obvious, but what's the difference between blue elemental blast (ten cents) and hydroblast ($5) for these decks? The decks all suggest hydroblast but that seems silly unless there's something I'm missing. Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast seem to be about the same price.

Hydroblast can be cast on a non-red card, and BEB can't. There's a few narrow cases (storm count, killing phantasmal image/bear) where that would be relevant. For pauper purposes the difference probably isn't worth the 5$. Never mind that last part.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Anything besides Chandra's Revolution and Renegade Map sparking people's interest?

Map just seems like a worse version of ash barrens or evolving wilds. Not sure what the upside would be.

Implement of Destruction is a better top-deck than Needle Drop, but might not be worth the extra mana (and doesn't trigger Thermo Alchemist). Mobile Garrison would let you trigger Night Market Lookout twice in that mono-b vehicle deck, but that sounds pretty bad. Being bad isn't really a deal-breaker for people playing that deck though. Universal Solvent could be good in tron if there was a way to loop it, I doubt one exists though.

Resourceful Return could have legs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

so i've played this a little bit and holy poo poo is swirling sandstorm a powerhouse.

any thought to adding a rewind or two in here? they're really good once you get to the sprout swarm part of the game

It's too slow. 1-drop aggro decks are a huge part of the pauper meta and you need your interaction to be cheap. If you're stabilized in the late game with a counterspell and a sprout swarm in your hand, you've won the game already.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Dear burn player who sideboarded in relic of progenitus and pyroblast against me, I appreciate getting a free win in one of my bad matchups, but you should really not be playing those cards.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Wait 'til you find the players who keep in Insolent Neonate post-board and draw it turn seven when you have a couple creatures in play.

why would they be playing neonate in the first place

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Or what about Goblins? That's my other favorite archetype that I can't actually play anywhere.

I don't think a dedicated goblins deck exists, but look up mono-red aggro, it plays a handful of goblins and is moderately competitive. Not as good as mono-green or blue but still lot better than threshhold. If your store goes with paper legality than you can play goblin grenade which would make it even stronger.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

http://pastebin.com/6fzELkW0

Tron is an exceptionally good deck if you have turn three Tron and a Prism and have three Mulldrifters in the top twenty cards of your library. Actually, half the decks in Pauper are basically races to see who draws more Mulldrifters. Mulldrifter is great.

Can you explain the Rancid Earths? I understand what it would be good against but I'm not sure why it would make the cut over other stuff.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone running UB Control have some secret tech they want to share, or should I just start with a standard UB list off of Goldfish and play around with it from there?

Cavern Harpy is sweet and there is a 50% chance your opponent misreads the card and wastes a removal spell trying to kill it. Unfortunately it's not good enough and you should stuck to stock lists.

I've put in a Bojuka Bog, Mortuary Mire, and Radiant Fountain to try and get more value out of the bouncelands. Pretty nice, but 1-drop aggro is really popular right now and those decks punish tapped lands pretty hard.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Pitfall Trap as well.

Some Numbers posted:

Am I underrating T Wrath?

Seems a bit optimistic, but it's an answer to Gurmag Angler for red, and you can set it up with ponder or brainstorm (or magma jet!!). 5 Face damage is a lot as well.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
The line of bolt->Needle Drop->blind flip Thunderous Wrath is so absurdly optimistic that it shouldn't be used as a selling point for the card

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it needs to be pretty much exactly bolt too since so much of the deck is sorcery speed

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

e: wait, gently caress. Augur + Thunderous Wrath + Brainstorm means I probably need to just make UR Control with 12 creatures (Augur, Oracle, Mulldrifter), 22 lands and 26 spells, and just abuse the hell out of Brainstorm and Wrath.

I had a similar idea. Here's a first draft for what I want to play at a local pauper league:

// 60 Maindeck
// 14 Creature
4 Mulldrifter
4 Sea Gate Oracle
4 Augur of Bolas
2 Archaeomancer

// 21 Instant
4 Magma Jet
3 Thunderous Wrath
4 Brainstorm
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Ghostly Flicker
4 Counterspell

// 21 Land
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Mountain
4 Island
4 Swiftwater Cliffs

// 4 Sorcery
4 Ponder

// 16 Sideboard
// 5 Creature
SB: 4 Gorilla Shaman
SB: 1 Sea Gate Oracle

// 11 Instant
SB: 4 Dispel
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Remove Soul
SB: 3 Pyroblast

I think you need archaeomancer + flicker or something similar because otherwise the deck doesn't really have a wincon

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Ash Barrens over one of the Evolving Wilds?

Maybe. I like wilds better because you can keep wilds + cantrip with no other lands but can't keep barrens + cantrip. Plus I was planning on building it in paper and don't want to buy barrens.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

So is 90-card Teaching just a pile of counters and removal with literally no win condition other than waiting for your opponent to run out of cards / run out of time / find something better to do with their life?

that's the backup wincon, with the primary one being pristine talisman + casting evincar's justice over and over again

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

That's regular teachings (with maybe a single copy of Capsize and Curse of the Bloody Tome as well). I was figuring the point of the extra 30 cards was so you could just dispense entirely with petty things like 'win conditions' and just rely on having a thicker library than your opponent.

maybe mill is the primary wincon but the 90 card builds still run 4x talisman 4x justice https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/652825#online

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
in other bad pauper deck news I played against that self-mill fog deck with battlefield scrounger as the wincon and it turns out they can't really beat a bojuka bog lol

the bad pauper deck was my u/b trinket mage control

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

What are your thoughts on cutting some Forests and running Land Grant in their place? Looks like the only time it'd bite you in the rear end is when your opening hand is Island and Land Grant.

i feel that giving away information is losing more value than you're gaining from the deck thinning. The challenge of playing against elves is wisely using a limited amount of removal/counterspells. Do you bolt that mana elf to slow down their development or save it for a payoff card? Land Grant gives your opponent the answer to that question.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
finally got my first 5-0 by giving up on trying to make trinket mage work and just netdecking the first flicker control list I saw

only change i made was swapping hydroblasts with annuls because Curse of the Pierced Heart is the only red spell I remotely care about. Annul seems pretty good imo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Vital Signs posted:

I've heard some suggestions that they could see a jump, but who knows.

they're draft chaff from a recent set that get played as a 2 or 3 of. the only reason they cost so much online is that the set they're from was never released

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Chainer's Edict would be my card to speculate on. It's 5$ already and a 4-of in a ton of different archetypes.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I have fake edicts in my paper u/b control deck lolol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
in other pauper news, I'd like to thank burn players everywhere for playing 8 creatures for me to kill instead of 8 additional burn spells. i've won 90% of my matches against you ever since you unanimously voted to make that change

i'd also like to thank one specific B/W pestilence player for creating a monarch token, then tapping out while I had a creature in play

are the pestilence and R/W monarch decks real? I've been out of the loop for a bit

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Is this still a valid UB Control list? I built it a few months ago but haven't bothered to go to my store's Pauper FNM when they have it-
2 Ash Barrens
4 Dimir Aqueduct
4 Dismal Backwater
6 Island
2 Radiant Fountain
4 Swamp
2 Archaeomancer
3 Augur of Bolas
4 Brainstorm
1 Chainer's Edict
4 Chittering Rats
4 Counterspell
1 Crypt Rats
1 Diabolic Edict
2 Disfigure
2 Doom Blade
1 Echoing Decay
1 Ghostly Flicker
4 Mulldrifter
2 Mystical Teachings
1 Reaping the Graves
1 Recoil
3 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Snuff Out

//Sideboard
2 Archaeomancer
3 Chainer's Edict
3 Dispel
4 Hydroblast
2 Rancid Earth
1 Relic of Progenitus

it's extremely suboptimal but probably fnm worthy. the flicker package + 3 copies of teachings seems extremely greedy and if you're not mainboarding 4 copies of chainer's you're doing U/B wrong. having them in the sideboard seems dubious since every aggro deck in the format has an answer to edict effects post-board. also don't play augur with 17 creatures lol. extra archaeomancers in the board seems bad, there's no matchup where you want your deck to be slower and also more vulnerable to disruption.

here's the list I've settled on so far after playing 7 leagues in the last two weeks (25-10 in matches, two trophies). Bojuka Bog seems so much better than relic of progenitus so far, because i actually want to side it in instead of worried it'll hurt myself too much.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 31, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Play four Ash Barrens because that is a good card and you're running Brainstorms.

Imo just play preordain and 4 basics. I can't imagine that deck wants to be shuffling away it's land drops too often.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*brings relic of progenitus in from the sideboard*

*refuses to crack it despite having zero cards in hand and being extremely behind on board*

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
why not just buy the promo? it'll be cheaper and you won't waste the time of someone who wants to actually play

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I guess I could just buy it, yeah. Also I never said I'd be playing in the tournament, I'd be dropping right away and catching a couple casual games with an online friend who will be there.

I understand you won't be playing, I'm just saying that someone who wants to play some games is going to miss out on that because of your decision to buy something you could have gotten cheaper and with less labor by going to tcgplayer. they can't just not add you to the pairings, your round one opponent is going to show up to an empty chair

or just buy them from an on-site vendor if you really value instant gratification so badly

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 15, 2018

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Do not ever sideboard in graveyard hate against Flicker decks. At best you're trading for a single Mnemonic Wall activation. That's your best case scenario! Your next-to-worst case scenario is you pay 1 mana and discard a card and that's it. Your worst case scenario is you pay 1 mana and discard a card, and then keep holding 1 mana up on multiple turns to try to stop their recursion. Sometimes you pay 2 mana and draw a card while loving up your own graveyard interactions, which I've had many opponents on MTGO do. Just remove your graveyard hate from your sideboards, it isn't good enough against enough matchups to be worth bothering with.

Yea as a U/B flicker player i'm extremely happy when they play relic and not an actual threat. I'm even more happy when they refuse to crack it while I cast mulldrifters and sea gate oracles.

I got a trophy running bojuka bog in the sideboard, I think it's a lot better since you're trading out an untapped land instead of a good spell. Tons of decks use their graveyard for something in the current meta. Especially with bouncelands or flicker effects.

Wurzag posted:

Is the trick to beating tron in pauper just to play as aggressive a deck as possible? Played in a small paper pauper event the other day and the tron decks stomped all over everything else. Finals was two slightly different versions of tron engaged in what appeared to be the dullest game of magic ever seen by man.

That's the best way, they can't do much on early turns so it's easy to run them over with green creatures or a giant atog.

Control decks struggle more, it's difficult to both attack their life total and answer every business spell they cast. They don't topdeck well so generally you're looking to just empty their hand. The older tron builds with Ulamog's Crusher and Rolling Thunders were a little vulnerable to 1-for-1 answers, since they didn't run a ton of threats.The new flicker-heavy variants are a little fragile if you can turn off their graveyard, but like Hellsau said relic does not actually turn off their graveyard.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

trillocity posted:

I'm going to play in the Rags to Riches tournament in about a week, and god help me I'm going to play MBC. I expect there to be a smattering of Tron and some Delver, but I also expect people to be on the new Mono-W Heroic list. How should I tailor my removal suite? Edict effects and sweepers (I have two Pestilence and two Crypt Rats main right now) seem strong, but I think some spot removal (Victim of Night, Disfigure, Dead Weight, Oubliette) might be a good idea?

Also, not entirely sure what my sideboard plan should be. 4 Duress, a few Nihil Spellbombs, and some number of Choking Sands seems like a good idea, along with Shrivel, but I'd also like to find room for more Thorn of the Black Roses.
[/pre]

If you wanted more room in the sideboard you could move a duress or two into the main deck? It's live against everything in the format, even the aggro decks. I like Thorn of The Black Rose in the sideboard, it's the only card that makes blue control matchups winnable.

Nihil Spellbomb seems cuttable, it's not good for all the reasons that Hellsau shat on Relic. That card can't possible make tron matchups favorable for you. Run four Choking Sands and hope for the best imo.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I see a handful of decks run it on decklists. Not sure how I feel about it personally. Looking at the meta, I don't see TOO many multicolored/colorless creatures and spells. Maybe it's good?

EDIT: Looking at the decklists in the majority of the meta, I only see 3 multicolored creatures that it can't be protected from: Burning Tree Emissary, Slippery Bogle, and Nivix Cyclops. And for colorless... mostly Frogmite and Myr Enforcer, I think. Ulamog's Crusher, too.

It's definitely great at it's job of not dying or being blocked by anything, the real weakness is that it's just a 4 mana 2/3 against a lot of decks that don't care about interating with thing that slow

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
that angler lists seems bad. i know there's not much that kills an angler but that's very few win conditions and very few ways to protect them

possibly the only list i've seen where augur works though

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

how does the karoo version of the flicker deck beat the tron version? their mana seems soo much better for the long grindy games

counter their business spells, and hope they draw the wrong half of their deck long enough for you to assemble the combo. bojuka bog + karoo lands helps as well since the murasa + flicker + teachings version is super fragile and relies on their graveyard a lot

if you are trying to out-grind tron you're not going to have a good time. you are the aggressor even if you're casting 3 mana 1/3s

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
need a single copy of reaping the graves and my paper version of u/b flicker is complete. cant wait to waste a ton of lgs employee time tracking one down

btw, what is the anti burn tech of choice for u/b? im torn between tanglebloom and syphon life. or maybe just not bothering with lifegain

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mulloy posted:

So my EDH group wants to add pauper as a side option. As a result I have been looking for control decks - I know pauper isn't super control oriented, but looking at the popular decks like delver and such I wasn't seeing anything that looked like it would be fun longer term. I saw Dimir Alchemy and I pieced that together, but I was wondering if there were any B/U/x control decks in existence in pauper or if I just need to grow up and learn to like tempo.

three color manabases are sketchy if you're not playing tronlands. i might be able to dig up a grixis list from a local event but as far as established lists theres not much

is snow-go still a thing?