Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Computer info:
Windows 7 64bit
Motherboard: Asrock B85 Pro4
CPU: I-4570 @3.2ghz, quad core
GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 670
RAM: 8GB
Storage: Samsung 840 250gb SSD, 3TB Western Digital internal drive, 3TB Western Digital my book external drive, 500gb Seagate Free Agent desktop external drive.

I did not download any new programs or change any settings that I am aware of. Until a few days ago both external drives were working fine, after a 10 second spin up or so everything worked instantly. Now it seems like they take multiple minutes to open any folder with pictures or other media in them, and then 5 seconds to open a mp3 to ~30 seconds to open a movie. After the first time a file is opened, it opens quickly until the computer is restarted. Folders in list mode and small files like .txt files still open quickly. Also, it seems like the other stuff might be slightly slower as well, I have noticed some hitches when playing games that are not very resource intensive like hearthstone, and it feels like webpages load a bit slower but maybe only because I am looking for it. I tried transferring files between the two external HDs, in one direction they went 10-20MB/s, for the other it was more like 20-30MBs, I am not sure what the speed is supposed to be.

I noticed there was a svchost process that is constantly at 25% CPU, along with wuauserv service, both seem to have to do with windows updates. They are only visible in the resource manager. I am not sure if that is related or not. As far as I know it could have been there for a lot longer since I really only poke around when something is not working correctly. I quit these processes and it seemed like it fixed the problem once, but it was not able to reproduce that after restarting my computer

Not sure if I am downloading bitcoins or something for someone, but I would guess it is not related to the hard drives if it happened to both of them? Any suggestions? I attached a picture of the resource manager if that is useful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Windows 7 Windows update seems to choke and die, making the entire system run like trash. When this happens generally svchost / wuauserv crush a cpu core and it stays that way. There were a couple hotfixes that worked for me while I was working with windows 7 computers at work. Windows 10 update would have solved that, but since you're stuck with 7 you can try installing KB 3050265 and KB 3102810 from microsoft. They made a huge difference with my work machines.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Windows 7 Windows update seems to choke and die, making the entire system run like trash. When this happens generally svchost / wuauserv crush a cpu core and it stays that way. There were a couple hotfixes that worked for me while I was working with windows 7 computers at work. Windows 10 update would have solved that, but since you're stuck with 7 you can try installing KB 3050265 and KB 3102810 from microsoft. They made a huge difference with my work machines.

I had one of those already, then I downloaded the other one, but could not get it to actually install because my windows updater was not working. After going through a bunch of other stuff I got windows updater working and downloaded a bunch of updates. That stopped the 25% CPU use from the svchost. Right now the larger external drive seems to be working ok, but it was doing that sporadically before the windows updates as well, the smaller one was still not working well, so will wait and see and hope they are somewhat fixed?

Thanks for the help.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

...so will wait and see and hope they are somewhat fixed?

You can run the portable zip edition of CDI to check the external drive health:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

You can run the portable zip edition of CDI to check the external drive health:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

The drives are still slow. I ran this program (why is it all anime themed?), it says all the drives are good, I don't know what stats I should be looking at for the report for each HD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How old and how full are the HDs? You might want to try a defrag on the external ones.

Pain of Mind posted:

why is it all anime themed?

The guy who made it likes it.

Pain of Mind posted:

...it says all the drives are good, I don't know what stats I should be looking at for the report for each HD.

The raw values of the following should be all zeroes:

-reallocated sectors count
-current pending sector count
-uncorrectable sector count

If they're not there's a good chance an HD is dying.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wonder if one of these exists for Vista machines because I've seen the same behavior on them as well.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 15, 2016

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

How old and how full are the HDs? You might want to try a defrag on the external ones.

The guy who made it likes it.

The raw values of the following should be all zeroes:

-reallocated sectors count
-current pending sector count
-uncorrectable sector count

If they're not there's a good chance an HD is dying.

I wonder if one of these exists for Vista machines because I've seen the same behavior on them as well.

The large external HD is 28% full, the small one is 82% full. I cannot remember the exact ages, but the smaller one is probably around 10 years old while the larger one is about 3 years old. The raw value column for those fields are all 0s (at first I thought my meant current/worst/threshold columns which all had numbers 100-200). I ran the check disk tool for the larger drive and it took around 18 hours, was only halfway done when I went to bed and it had already been 12 hours, but was speeding up some. It did not seem like it found anything serious.

It seemed like this problem happened overnight for both drives, could it be related to the USB firmware or anything like that? I cannot remember the last time I went through the drives and they were working normally, but it could not be that long ago, maybe a few weeks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

It seemed like this problem happened overnight for both drives, could it be related to the USB firmware or anything like that? I cannot remember the last time I went through the drives and they were working normally, but it could not be that long ago, maybe a few weeks.

Yes, you could try doing a system restore going back to before the problem existed.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Could be the USB drivers, I had a similar issue after a Win7 update on my old laptop where USB devices of all kinds would randomly slow down or stop working altogether. Try removing any USB/chipset drivers in Device Manager or Programs, then reinstall from the vendor website and test.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Don't have any system restore points before I noticed anything happen, it made a bunch when I fixed the windows updater thing and pushed out the older ones.

Which USB things do I delete? It has a bunch of different catagories:
Generic USB hub x2
Intel 8 series/C220 x2
Intel USB 3.0 extensible root controller
Intel USB 3.0 root hub
USB composite device
USB mass storage device x2
USB root hub x2

Also, if I delete them will all of my usb devices (mouse, keyboard) stop working?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

Which USB things do I delete? It has a bunch of different catagories:
Generic USB hub x2
Intel 8 series/C220 x2
Intel USB 3.0 extensible root controller
Intel USB 3.0 root hub
USB composite device
USB mass storage device x2
USB root hub x2

I'd delete all of that stuff and then reboot and install:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Chipset-Family

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, if I delete them will all of my usb devices (mouse, keyboard) stop working?

No, those ones should auto reinstall something from the OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
It seems like it was tied to Ad-Aware real-time protection. I disabled that and it seems like the problem is fixed. Thanks for all of the help.

• Locked thread