Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
at some point in the last year the most yospos OS was graced with a lunatic who decided to compile a linux program in GCC while statically linking uclibc, and then map the syscalls so that it can run on TempleOS.

https://github.com/jwhitham/frotz

quote:

The program binary "frotz.prg" has to be compiled as position-independent code because TempleOS does not use virtual memory features. All programs share the same linear address space. GCC has no difficulty producing position-independent code and the x86_64 instruction set supports it efficiently, e.g. with PC-relative jumps and calls. However, I have not yet found a good way to make the compiler generate position-independent code for global data structures, e.g. "stdout", when those structures themselves contain pointers. So I compute the required relocations by the crude trick of linking the program twice at different base offsets, and then scanning the resulting binary to see where relocations will be required. This is done in loader/make_program.py.

so whats terry up to these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bump

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i figured this guy was dead

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
why anyone would want to gently caress around with templeOS and port it is beyond me

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
they call it wine because you have to be a few bottles in to actually think about using it

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I just watched a TempleOS youtube to get a little oldPos nostalgia...and it actually gave me some amazing ideas for a few vaporwave avatars :3:

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

talk about playing god

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
MMUs are the devil

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
if it can run linux programs can it run wine

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i love terry

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
rms will throw the moneylenders out of the templeos

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Squeezy Farm posted:

I just watched a TempleOS youtube to get a little oldPos nostalgia...and it actually gave me some amazing ideas for a few vaporwave avatars :3:
this guy groks the zeitgeist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

George posted:

rms will throw the moneylenders out of the templeos

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this guy groks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

unban terry

• Locked thread