Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN
Problem description: I recently bought a PC, only had macs for years so I might be a little oblivious about some things. I suspected I had a virus or something malicious on the mac as it slowed down one day for no discernible reason. After buying the PC , I transferred some movie , music and picture files to the PC's HDD (OS is on a SSD). The next morning, when I ran an ASUS utility, it now listed the publisher as unknown. I'm fairly sure it previously was listing it as ASUS. My question is, do I need to wipe and reinstall everything or is there a less nuclear option? I did not allow the utility to run. I also noticed that games were running more slowly, but a reboot sorted this.

Attempted fixes: I have done a full scan with Windows Defender and attempted to look at previous version of the file, but none exists.

Recent changes: Transferred video, audio, picture and documents to the HDD. Upgraded to Anniversary. I am unsure if I ran the utility since then but think I did.

--

Operating system: Windows 10.0.14393 Build 14393

System specs:B150I PRO GAMING/WIFI/AURA , Intel i7-6700 3.4ghz, ASUS STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING GeForce GTX1070 8GB GDDR5, 16gb corsair RAM, 2TB Seagate HDD, 256GB Corsair Force LE SSD. Can provide other details but seems unnecessary.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

rangi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like Windows stopped recognizing the Asus utility because you installed the Windows Anniversary Update and would need to download a new version of the Asus software from their website for it to work with the new version of Windows. However, unless you have a very good reason for having it installed you should just remove it completely. There's a rather significant performance penalty from having the motherboard manufacturer's software installed because of the low-level monitoring drivers.

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN
Thanks for that. I figured out the reason it had been running slowly was another ASUS driver was hogging up to 50% of the CPU. I'll go through the drivers and check what I actually need.

• Locked thread