Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

(The US marketing for this sucks, especially the forced tagline.)

Directed by Sean Ellis.

Starring
Cilian Murphy
Jamie Dornan
Anna Geislerova
Harry Lloyd
Charlotte Le Bon
Alena Mihulova
Bill Milner

Currently out in somewhat limited release?

Quick plot rundown
Nazi occupied Prauge. The Czech government in exile in London parachutes two guys in to kill the top ranking Nazi Official. Viva La Resistance.

This British-Czech-French (wait, how did the French get here) warpic definitely comes out of left field for me. I never thought I'd end up in an American movie theater watching a movie about the Czech resistance in Nazi-occupied Prague, but there I was. While the material has been covered in other films, this is probably one of the best, balls to the wall war films out there. Although, I think that people expecting a conventional thriller will be disappointed. This is slow. This is atmospheric. The muted soundtrack and sounds of the street give it an almost palpable claustrophobia and a sense that there are severely evil fucks just beyond this very thin wall, and that all is very much not right with the world. Because of this, it very much isn't about the characters, but more about the time, the place, and the events.

Like I already mentioned, the marketing for this sucks and makes it seem like an oorah thrillar bang bang shooty movie, which is really rather disappointing, since this is a fantastic film, wonderfully shot and impeccably acted.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's Prague, idiot.

How faithful is it to the actual turn of events?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fixed, serves me right for typing up posts at 1am.

It's not a documentary by any means, but it's drat faithful to the events. War has no happy endings

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAKCJcXC5c

Those sure are some nazis.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's Prague, idiot.

How faithful is it to the actual turn of events?

Actually its "Praha".

• Locked thread