Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Problem description:
Came home to find my Win10 PC had a system update and rebooted and everything seemed fine but one of my external HDs is not showing up or opening in file explorer. Other USB devices are fine. It appears in Device manager and in connected devices in control panel, in disk management though its just a blank unlabeled disk drive. See pics below

and before anyone asks, yes it lights up when plugged in.

Attempted fixes:
Rebooting. No success there. Disk Management shows no lettered drive when its plugged in and wont let me do anything. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Updating the drivers, already updated to most recent version. I dont have anything else in the house I can plug it into to see if its specific to my PC. Similar issues appear when I google the problem but their solution is to change the drive letter in disk manager but I dont have that option even if I specify to run as administrator. Edit: Also tried in device manager, uninstalling, unplugging it, and rebooting the computer, retrying... and nope no changes.

Recent changes:
device manager shows this in the change logs: 8/11/2016 11:10:04 AM Device Migrated, 8/11/2016 11:10:04 AM device configured (disk.inf) I just confirmed the unaffected USB drive had the same events and is still in working order.
and of course as previously mentioned Win10 had an update that forced my PC to reboot, this USB drive was plugged in at the time (so was another that was unaffected)
--

Operating system: Windows10 home basic

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I really hope you guys can help me this external has a lot of sentimental stuff on it.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I actually experienced this with another USB device after initially starting with win10, my old usb camera. I'm thinking now the update somehow made this particular HD incompatible with my OS... I think I'll take it work tomorrow since we have win7 systems and see if it comes up there.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Action-Bastard posted:

EDIT: I actually experienced this with another USB device after initially starting with win10, my old usb camera. I'm thinking now the update somehow made this particular HD incompatible with my OS... I think I'll take it work tomorrow since we have win7 systems and see if it comes up there.

Yes, that's a good idea. I've seen HDs have issues like this due to OS changes.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah sorry to neglect to update this but I took it to work and the win7 pc found it after installing the drivers. Everything is where I left it. I'm heading to my parents place later this weekend and will move everything over to a new external drive on their computer.

Sucks this particular external is virtually useless to me now I wonder if it's worth trying contact the manufacturer for compensation. Probably not it's kinda old.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Action-Bastard posted:

Sucks this particular external is virtually useless to me now I wonder if it's worth trying contact the manufacturer for compensation. Probably not it's kinda old.

You might try something like this:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Not sure if those cmd prompt commands will work for you.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Zogo posted:

You might try something like this:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Not sure if those cmd prompt commands will work for you.

After I moved everything over to another external the steps here actually got the troubled one working again. thanks a bunch!

• Locked thread