Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
"Whenever we go out together, your photos are much better than the ones I take. Your camera is really expensive."

"I'd like my photos to look good like yours, I'd better buy a nicer camera."

Motherfucker: they are portraits of stationary children in bright sunshine. Just cause I have a m4/3, and you have an iPhone, it's not an equipment issue..

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

To be fair cell phone pictures usually don't look that good.

But those people aren't gonna learn how to use a better camera anyways lol.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah one thing you can't do with a cellphone is get great background separation with a shallow DOF. But yeah even simple composition basics would improve just about anyone's cellphone photography skills. One thing that absolutely nobody does that makes a world of difference when photographing kids is to actually kneel down to their level.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I've only done one kid shoot, but the ironic shots of the kid in a pile of beer bottles were the best.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I live in the middle of the historic old-town. There are a bunch of awesome gothic and baroque buildings, fountains, art-deco street furniture, etc. If I look out of my living room window I can see a procession of people taking photos in the street outside - a lot of old people with brightly coloured compacts, a poo poo-ton of people taking pictures with a phone or tablet but also a bunch of people with nicer gear too. Sometimes if I am bored or I have some shots left at the end of a roll, I'll head out at dusk and set up some long-exposure shots of the illuminations. Because of the MF gear, I get quite a lot of people heading over to talk about the camera and I hear that all the time. The best one was a guy with some FF Nikon complaining that he couldn't get decent shots with his gear. I was like 'dude, I'm using a camera that was designed in the 1940s with exactly two controls that can be set on it once the film is loaded. You have a box of loving miracles by comparison. Didn't have a tripod, didn't know about light metering modes, was using the popup flash for subjects that were maybe 30m away from his lens.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Helen Highwater posted:

using the popup flash for subjects that were maybe 30m away from his lens.

i try not to be too much of a snob (especially since i myself am like sub-hobbyist at best) but this is the one thing that drives me absolutely insane. just think about it for like 10 seconds! gently caress!

also people who leave all the focus beeps and loud fake shutter noises turned on :argh:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

When we had the "blue moon" way back my mom heard about it on the news and asked me to take a picture of it. She said something like "you may have to use flash".

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
OTOH I hate it when passerbys give me unsolicited advice. Yes, I know the image will be backlit now gently caress off. (I actually act very gracious and just smile and say "thanks but it's intentional" to them in person though because I'm not a dweeb)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Wow you can still get film for that?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Is there any other activity where someone will give the credit to the equipment and not the user?

'What a delicious dinner, you must have a great oven'

'Great game, you must have a good racket'

'You fixed my car quickly, you must have an expensive toolset'

'Thanks for the blowjob, you must use good toothpaste'

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

spog posted:

Is there any other activity where someone will give the credit to the equipment and not the user?

'What a delicious dinner, you must have a great oven'

'Great game, you must have a good racket'

'You fixed my car quickly, you must have an expensive toolset'

'Thanks for the blowjob, you must use good toothpaste'

Golf. That new oversized, titanium, diamondium coated driver really made your game better!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Golf. That new oversized, titanium, diamondium coated driver really made your game better!

christ yeah golf.

Wild EEPROM posted:

EVERY GODDAMN TIME

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

spog posted:

PC video games lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

I used to until Fuji decided to pull FP-100C out from under me. :mad:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Just read your posts, you must have a really bad computer

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

feigning interest posted:

:laffo:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

akadajet posted:

When we had the "blue moon" way back my mom heard about it on the news and asked me to take a picture of it. She said something like "you may have to use flash".

Imagine if everybody around the world used their flash when taking pictures of the moon. It would be like a flickering discoball above our heads 24/7!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i get around this by using really crappy old cameras, which is also my excuse when the pictures are bad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

:iceburn:

Holy poo poo: I've not had a burn that good for ages.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

I was like 'dude, I'm using a camera that was designed in the 1940s with exactly two controls that can be set on it once the film is loaded. You have a box of loving miracles by comparison.

This reminds me of my visit to Durmitor National Park in Montenegro last week. I was setting up my gear for a shot at the bank of Black Lake, when some girl stands next to me and fires up a burst mode - she took around 50 exposures judging from the shutter sound. And there I stand, setting up a shot for around 10 minutes, taking exactly one picture on Provia 100 with my P6. And I'm sure that one picture will be better than all of hers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Doctor Bombadil posted:

This reminds me of my visit to Durmitor National Park in Montenegro last week. I was setting up my gear for a shot at the bank of Black Lake, when some girl stands next to me and fires up a burst mode - she took around 50 exposures judging from the shutter sound. And there I stand, setting up a shot for around 10 minutes, taking exactly one picture on Provia 100 with my P6. And I'm sure that one picture will be better than all of hers.

Post the picture, let us judge.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Although the P6 is a Really Good Camera that cool people shoot so it probably will be good.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Joke's on you, she was bracketing all 50 exposures and will combine them into a single, glorious piece of HDR beauty.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rohan posted:

Joke's on you, she was bracketing all 50 exposures and will combine them into a single, glorious piece of HDR beauty.

You mean HDR horror.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

Post the picture, let us judge.

I just need to finish the roll and get it processed.

(I hope i didn't srew it up, first time shooting slide film.)

alkanphel posted:

You mean HDR horror.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Didn't DigitalRev have a series of celebrity photographers shoot with crappy toy cameras?

edit: oh here I found it:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom/search?query=cheap+challenge

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 17, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Is he actually a photo celebrity or just a lovely blogger

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ansel autisms posted:

isn't being a lovely blogger the main path to being a celebrity in the photo world these days? or I guess rape if you are Terry R

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

They should do Ken Rockwell

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

8th-snype posted:

I guess rape if you are Terry R

Googled Terry R., confirmed celebrity photographer status.

The Internet posted:

'I Felt a Dick Pressing Into My Face': Terry Richardson Strikes Again

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Actually Terry Richardson has poor eyesight and that's just how he sees.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Terry Richardson: I'm gonna be a father!

PR Manager: idk Terry that's not very on-brand

Terry: ...with my photo assistant who is nearly half my age!!!

PR Manager: :golfclap:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Eh I was using that screenshot more as an example of a lovely camera rather than an example of a "celebrity photographer".

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

alkanphel posted:

You mean HDR horror.

You mean Pastel Colored poo poo.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

They should do Ken Rockwell

According to k-rock he should have no problem with it. As long as they bring him and his kids to McDonalds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lugging my crap around inside Carlsbad Caverns, someone points at me: "that's what I want to get someday, a good tripod like that."

Just go buy one? They aren't made of gold.

Marvin Schwayze
Sep 25, 2015

Title Text
You have uses 58 of the 300 characters allowed.
"Have Marvin take it, he's a photographer!" You buy one "fancy" camera and that's all you are to them, the photographer. I'm already on selfie duty with a 7ft wingspan...

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

What are those, Digital Rebels? He must be a poo poo photographer.

• Locked thread