Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The 360' upskirt shots seem a bit creepy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I think he's going for down blouse too with those high up cameras

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I once went out and took some random shots of my dog and a family friends' dog together just for fun. I sent her the pictures of her dog after I was done in post.

"They were so amazing! Thank you so much!! My daughter showed me how to crop them so [dog] is in the middle of every frame!!!"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Backstory? Reverse GIS isn't helping.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

Backstory? Reverse GIS isn't helping.

It is clearly Kojima putting himself in MGS/getting Quiet's tits just right/putting a baby in Norman Reedus.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

"They were so amazing! Thank you so much!! My daughter showed me how to crop them so [dog] is in the middle of every frame!!!"

This every time. Along with the most gaudy instagram filters turned to 11

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

This every time. Along with the most gaudy instagram filters turned to 11

I really love these photos I saw on the internet, can you do stuff like this? <links to hideous pastel tone-mapped HDR monstrosities>

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Look at all these old fogeys who simply cannot accept the modern aesthetic of instagram and HDR.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

3D scanning rig?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The XKCD Larper posted:

3D scanning rig?

I was thinking that too, but don't those rigs usually have purpose built cameras specifically made for the job?

Using off the shelf DSLR's just seems like overkill and would drive the price way up, since 90% of what they can do wouldn't be needed for that type of scanning.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was thinking that too, but don't those rigs usually have purpose built cameras specifically made for the job?

Using off the shelf DSLR's just seems like overkill and would drive the price way up, since 90% of what they can do wouldn't be needed for that type of scanning.
DSLRS help for making good texture maps. You need better flashes than they are using for that though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks like a matrix style slow motion pan setup to me, though the space is pretty small. Maybe they'll throw a musician in there and have them pretend to sing a song for their video?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbPxvBbZAhs

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ah, so I was almost right: the lower cameras are for 360' underboob shots.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yep, let's not get a purpose made setup for this rig, where we can use dumb lens-and-sensor cams that can be adjusted all from a computer. Sit tight Stef, it'll only be two or three hours before we set up all these DSLR's individually.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
A place near me has a room setup like that to do 3D scans for printing cake toppers and trophies. It's pretty cool actually. I took some press kit photos for them for their grand opening last year, I thought it was kinda funny that the owners have a 50 Nikon DSLRs but nothing that isn't screwed to the wall for stuff like that.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thank you i do have a really good camera

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Twenties Superstar posted:

thank you i do have a really good camera

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sure, I'll take your pics for "free". I'll have to take my day rate in trade though.

So you'll be coming over to mow my lawn for the next year, right? Wait... where are you going?!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh god that reminds me, I got this about a month and a half ago from an old college friend

"Hey! Really far in advance, but are you going to be around in October or November? And are you willing to drive down to Wooster? [fiancee] and I want to take our engagement photos in Wooster in the fall, so I was wondering if you would be willing to do that? We'll buy you dinner :-)"

They're great friends but that is nearly a 3 hour drive each way and in no drat way am I killing an entire day and taking engagement photos for a $15 dinner. She's working on her dissertation so her fiancee is the only breadwinner right now and I know he's not making a lot so I can understand cash is tight. We eventually agreed on a fairly low rate where I'll basically break even for my expenses and time because I do want to help them out, but jesus.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

DJExile posted:

oh god that reminds me, I got this about a month and a half ago from an old college friend

"Hey! Really far in advance, but are you going to be around in October or November? And are you willing to drive down to Wooster? [fiancee] and I want to take our engagement photos in Wooster in the fall, so I was wondering if you would be willing to do that? We'll buy you dinner :-)"

They're great friends but that is nearly a 3 hour drive each way and in no drat way am I killing an entire day and taking engagement photos for a $15 dinner. She's working on her dissertation so her fiancee is the only breadwinner right now and I know he's not making a lot so I can understand cash is tight. We eventually agreed on a fairly low rate where I'll basically break even for my expenses and time because I do want to help them out, but jesus.

Remember to get some paper trail for that and deduct your mileage by the IRS rate (87.5 cpm IIRC) if you are filing as a freelancer. That will offset whatever losses you take in gas/car wear.

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008
I have a special appreciation for cellphone cameras.

Their minimum focusing distance is usually pretty generous, and Sony makes Apple's camera sensors so I'm cool with that.
Plus, Polarr is basically lightroom for iOS

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

There's also, you know, Lightroom for iphones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is actually a really good app, as long as you never once play around with the mobilesync feature because it's crippled garbage that does absolutely nothing you would reasonably expect a cloud service to do.

But the photo editing part is good! :buddy:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thanks for the food blog post

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Which is actually a really good app, as long as you never once play around with the mobilesync feature because it's crippled garbage that does absolutely nothing you would reasonably expect a cloud service to do.

But the photo editing part is good! :buddy:

Every time I open lightroom it tells me something about mobile sync being disabled and every time I'm like I dont give a gently caress. TBH I didn't even know what it was until this thread. Adobe pushing stupid poo poo I don't need.

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008

bobmarleysghost posted:

There's also, you know, Lightroom for iphones.

The Lightroom app is really underwhelming in comparison. Having access to a tone curve on mobile was what sold it for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Every time I open lightroom it tells me something about mobile sync being disabled and every time I'm like I dont give a gently caress. TBH I didn't even know what it was until this thread. Adobe pushing stupid poo poo I don't need.

Adobe can't comprehend why someone would decline their half baked sync solution so figures you just missed the dialog box the past 100 times you clicked past it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It might make sense if Lightroom mobile didn't completely suck and get outclassed by a number of other photo editing apps.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

rio posted:

It might make sense if Lightroom mobile didn't completely suck and get outclassed by a number of other photo editing apps.

I'm only now starting to rely more on my phone and tablet for some on the go editing, as my S7 can shoot raw. What apps do you recommend?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Did they scan her rear end in that way too, or just pay someone off of deviant art to model it?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Thank you, Dorkroom, for being different than the local Facebook "professional photography" groups I've joined.

Today's most popular thread: post a photo straight out of camera without any editing because clearly that's the hallmark of a good photographer -- having in-camera jpgs that look "right"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was on a photo walk once, and at one point someone who had a D800 said "... Raw? What's that?"

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

beneatsfood posted:

The Lightroom app is really underwhelming in comparison. Having access to a tone curve on mobile was what sold it for me.

The lightroom app has tone curve

Straight from the horse's mouth

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
real apps have curves

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Presumably the selling point would be for you to be able to edit a bunch of photos in your main catalogue while doing menial real life things like commuting to work or attending a family funeral. But does it actually work like that?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

dakana posted:

Thank you, Dorkroom, for being different than the local Facebook "professional photography" groups I've joined.

Today's most popular thread: post a photo straight out of camera without any editing because clearly that's the hallmark of a good photographer -- having in-camera jpgs that look "right"

I got kicked out of a photography group for asking someone if his photos were taken with a phone. The admin told me we can't hurt each other's self esteem, and that criticism should only be given when explicitly asked.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Someone recently asked me what I did to get "that old film look"

Idk, shot old film?

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

KinkyJohn posted:

Presumably the selling point would be for you to be able to edit a bunch of photos in your main catalogue while doing menial real life things like commuting to work or attending a family funeral. But does it actually work like that?

Yes, I upload a shoot and then do the rough cull while menially commuting to work - swiping photos in and out like one is browsing Tinder. I don't think it is really designed to be a true "photos in the cloud" solution.

I feel it's more a companion app to Lightroom on your desktop and in that sense it works well, rather than a standalone editing app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was on a photo walk once, and at one point someone who had a D800 said "... Raw? What's that?"

Cool 'I met Ken Rockwell' story.

• Locked thread