Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dakana posted:

Thank you, Dorkroom, for being different than the local Facebook "professional photography" groups I've joined.

Today's most popular thread: post a photo straight out of camera without any editing because clearly that's the hallmark of a good photographer -- having in-camera jpgs that look "right"

I mostly use in camera jpgs, but I shoot Fuji explicitly for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was shortly in a photo group years ago that was all about no edit photo posting. I got my x100 and had some arguments about it not being purely an ooc image because the camera was editing it. Got into the whole "post your 0's and 1's because any jpg is a modification of the original image, and these are sooc images from an x100". It was fun, and then I left shortly afterwards.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

rio posted:

I was shortly in a photo group years ago that was all about no edit photo posting. I got my x100 and had some arguments about it not being purely an ooc image because the camera was editing it. Got into the whole "post your 0's and 1's because any jpg is a modification of the original image, and these are sooc images from an x100". It was fun, and then I left shortly afterwards.

I would of said, "I've got some zeroes and ones for you buddy " and giving him the old double deuces.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

So the real artist is the firmware programmer who worked on the AD converter?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

God is the artist because he created the photons.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i thonk the artistry comes not from what is but from how it is translated but im no deity

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

To the public, art is pretty pictures. More so when lots of filters are applied. When there is implied deeper meaning or abstraction then it is pretentious.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
fwiw i think saying "the public doesn't know what art is" is pretty close to a textbook example of pretension

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:smuggo:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Twenties Superstar posted:

fwiw i think saying "the public doesn't know what art is" is pretty close to a textbook example of pretension

Not really. A lot of people who aren't artists of some kind don't think too much about what art is. They know what they like, which isn't the same thing but they generally don't care to examine their cultural intake any deeper than that. Which is fine, it's not a value judgement. People can choose what they are interested in and art is just one of many subjects vying for each individuals limited time and attention. Not being interested in art or not having thought about it a lot doesn't make you a bad person, it probably just means that there are other things that interest you more instead.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

art is subjective

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
my point was that drawing a value distinction on consumers between those that enjoy low art and and those that enjoy high art is inherently pretentious which it seems like we both agree on so i don't really know why you started your post with "not really"

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

ansel autisms posted:

art is subjective

yeah here's a flow chart

IS IT ART?
pre:
did somebody make it?--,
          |            |
         Yes           No
          |            |
          |            V
           '---------> WHO CARES                                       

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

more like fart

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

yeah here's a flow chart

IS IT ART?
pre:
did somebody make it?--,
          |            |
         Yes           No
          |            |
          |            V
           '---------> WHO CARES                                       

i'm contemplating if this is artistic or not

pre:
          _____
         /      \
        (____/\  )
         |___  U?(____
         _\L.   |      \     ___
       / /"""\ /.-'     |   |\  |
      ( /  _/u     |    \___|_)_|
       \|  \\      /   / \_(___ __)
        |   \\    /   /  |  |    |
        |    )  _/   /   )  |    |
        _\__/.-'    /___(   |    |   
     _/  __________/     \  |    |
    //  /  (              ) |    |
   ( \__|___\    \______ /__|____|
    \    (___\   |______)_/
     \   |\   \  \     /
      \  | \__ )  )___/
       \  \  )/  /__(       
   ___ |  /_//___|   \_________
     _/  ( / OUuuu    \
    `----'(____________)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stop being serious in the joke thread you goons.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
sorry about that here are a few funny joke post ideas for some1 to use:

1. Citing great exposure, my friend asked to shoot their wedding for free! What an idiot!!

2. I take way better pictures than all of my friends. One friend implied that my good pictures must be the result of me using my nice camera but I'm the one who pushes the button. It's me who makes the good pictures! What an idiot!!

3. My idiot friend tried to give me some tips on how to take a good picture but they take bad pictures. I am the good photographer here bozo, you are just an idiot. What an idiot!!

4. My completely inept and worthless friend gets 700 likes from other birdbrained morons on all their tonemapped sunsets meanwhile I only get 4 likes from genius braniacs because I only do filmic processing to my highly nuanced photos of rotting cars sitting in front of abandoned movies theatres! What an idiot!!

5. how do i shot camera lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

akadajet posted:

They should do Ken Rockwell

crockwell's photos are less bad than his reviews so the comedic value might not be high

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

my point was that drawing a value distinction on consumers between those that enjoy low art and and those that enjoy high art is inherently pretentious which it seems like we both agree on so i don't really know why you started your post with "not really"

toilet nachos = high art

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

1. Citing great exposure, my friend asked to shoot their wedding for free! What an idiot!!

2. I take way better pictures than all of my friends. One friend implied that my good pictures must be the result of me using my nice camera but I'm the one who pushes the button. It's me who makes the good pictures! What an idiot!!

3. My idiot friend tried to give me some tips on how to take a good picture but they take bad pictures. I am the good photographer here bozo, you are just an idiot. What an idiot!!

4. My completely inept and worthless friend gets 700 likes from other birdbrained morons on all their tonemapped sunsets meanwhile I only get 4 likes from genius braniacs because I only do filmic processing to my highly nuanced photos of rotting cars sitting in front of abandoned movies theatres! What an idiot!!

good jokes voted 5

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

What a delightful person!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Karl Barks posted:

more like fart

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

This thread should've ended on the first page.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

art is subjective

no i dont think it is

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bobmarleysghost posted:

This thread should've ended on the first page.

If we had better computers, we could have made better posts.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Awkward Davies posted:

no i dont think it is

it's objectively subjective :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spog posted:

Speak for yourself

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
how do i shot camera lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

you must have really great bedsheets, more like

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

you must have really great bedsheets, more like

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
we gave a seven year old kid a $5000 camera and took him to the african savannah and made him point it in the general direction of picturesque animals and then an adult edited the raw photos in lightroom and wow this kid is clearly some kind of artistic savant!!! see through the eyes of a child!! we gave an autistic kid a toy camera and they took nonsense pictures truly this is the way nature's beauty flows [blurry picture of thumb blurry picture of flower]

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

we gave a seven year old kid a $5000 camera and took him to the african savannah and made him point it in the general direction of picturesque animals and then an adult edited the raw photos in lightroom and wow this kid is clearly some kind of artistic savant!!! see through the eyes of a child!! we gave an autistic kid a toy camera and they took nonsense pictures truly this is the way nature's beauty flows [blurry picture of thumb blurry picture of flower]

great username/post combo

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Suicide Watch posted:

how do i shot camera lmao

Why aren't you assholes answering this guy's question?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

Why aren't you assholes answering this guy's question?

1) bring camera to abandoned quarry
2) put camera on exposed position
3) open fire

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm gonna go do some street photography.

You know, black and white pictures of homeless people

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm gonna go do some street photography.

You know, black and white pictures of homeless people

No problem. I'll go shoot some chubby girls in corsets standing next to motorcycles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reported, not SOOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Non Serviam posted:

No problem. I'll go shoot some chubby girls in corsets standing next to motorcycles.

overexposed geometric photo of shed, stairs, brick wall with crunchy jpeg compression

• Locked thread