Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This issue was so so good. I loved the ending most of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Are you saying they literally kill Alan Moore in this book? That's pretty overtly a statement of some kind if true.

It's Alec Holland's father, who lived in WeinWrightson Tower. And he does look a LOT like Moore. And he's killed for no other reason than being the father of a 'superhero'. There's something there, yeah.

edit: The 84th floor of WeinWrightson Tower, aka 1984, the year Moore started writing Swamp Thing.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 18, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's pretty understandable. She's a teenager, and she is grieving the death (as far as she knows) of a loved one. She's not exactly acting rationally and I'm sure she'll come around eventually.

But yeah her plan is essentially to stop the Batfam from fighting crime by fighting it herself first. She's fighting vigilantism with slightly faster vigilantism. It really doesn't make the most sense.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just thought it was a boring issue. We already basically know her deal going out of that Victim Squad arc, and we could have just met up with her again when she comes back at the team with the guy at the end.

The whole thing was a fill-in, so that's where you're getting those vibes.

The real hot ticket this week is Batman/The Shadow #2 which I sure hope all of yall are reading.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would loving love a full on Wedding of Scott Summers and Jean Grey issue.

I actually haven't read it yet. I only had time to read one book before work this morning and I chose Superman. Probably because DC already broke the news on Batman yesterday.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

:(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Adam West is the reason I like Batman in the first place, hell.

He'll probably always be the adaptation that was the most faithful to the comics. Rest in peace, chum.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/874860289283559425

https://twitter.com/CoriMarie21/status/874862072093450240

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's also probably not even 20 considering he was getting college acceptance letters before he was taken.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I liked it a lot. Also the end would suggest Selina said yes , yeah?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shookies posted:

http://media.comicbook.com/2017/06/detective-comics-965-eddy-barrows-lonely-place-of-living-1002696.jpg

Should I have any hope at all for this to restore Tim to pre-new52/flashpoint Tim?

No, this is just Tim escaping from the Mr. Oz prison he's been in since he was "killed". There's a bit in the solicit about the shocking identity of another prisoner he encounters but I doubt it's going to be an alternate reality Tim. I guess it's possible though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

How did they know what my apartment looks like though

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

pubic works project posted:

Dammit! I keep on trying to drop Detective and it keeps on sucking me back in. First, Zatanna! Now, Azbats!

Why would you try to drop the best book DC is publishing right now?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

pubic works project posted:

Hmmmm...are we now talking about Superman, the best book DC is publishing? I didn't think we were.

Why am I trying to drop Detective? Because I don't really like it anymore?

Batman has been in enough issues of Superman that we can probably call that on topic, sure.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So Duke's codename is The Signal, which...looking at his outfit, it was right there all along. Yellow with black bats like the Batsignal itself. Ya got me, Snyder.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I know at least one person that matters to

e: well, two now

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not only that but they brought back the scaled green underoos! And Bruce canonically had a version of the Adam West batsuit at some point.

Tynion needs to be given Morrison style creative freedom and remake the entire bat universe.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Considering that the entire point of this story was Batman telling Selina his darkest secret, his lowest moment, his greatest failure, so that she could make an informed decision about spending the rest of her life with him - I have no problem with the way the story ended.

People need to keep in mind that this was an Early Career Batman story and Early Career Batman stories exist so that Batman can gently caress up, and frequently gently caress up bad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think you should dig up a copy of The Untold Legend of the Batman, Year One, and Zero Year, and report back and tell us what you thought about each one, and we'll make recommendations based on that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's tough because you want to recommend the best stories to people who haven't read them yet, but at the same time you want to give people an idea of what Batman comics are usually like, which is not usually the best stories.

Batman is really good right now, so fortunately that's less of a problem.

All three of the stories I mentioned are origin stories or at least origin-adjacent, and they're all really good and represent the best of their 'era' of Batman comics. That's why I'd recommend them.

I would agree that Long Halloween is a great place for a new reader to start but I would go a bit further than saying it's the least terrible Jeph Loeb story, I think it's just plain good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

catlord posted:

I like Long Halloween, but those last couple pages suck and totally mess up the story. I haven't read Dark Victory or Hush yet.

After Year One (I'm not as in love with it as others, I think it's just decent, but then again I really don't like The Dark Knight Returns), I'd recommend checking out Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk, both by Matt Wagner, and then follow that up with The Man Who Laughs by Brubaker. If you read it in that order, it sorta tracks the change of Gotham from a mob city to a supervillain city. I want to recommend Batman vs Predator, it's one of my favourites and the second one got me into comics, but they're not really "necessary" stories, though that scene with Alfred is probably one of those defining scenes in my mind.

THIS poster has GOOD TASTE in batman

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would 1000% suggest someone seek out the Ras al Ghul stuff from the 70s rather than read Hush just because Batman swordfights shirtless in the desert in each one

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would like to submit that Shaman is crap and nobody should read it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can ignore Detective entirely until Rebirth happens and the numbers get big again

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Long Halloween as the story of how the mob was consumed by the 'freaks' is also undercut because literally every single villain aside from Two Face is already not only active, but implied to have faced Batman at least once before. So based on the Catwoman and Falcone stuff it's only been a few weeks since Year One but in that time frame Joker, Riddler, Poison Ivy, the Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, etc have debuted and already established themselves. Even Calender Man has been around a while.

But that's Loeb for you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Blockhouse posted:

Wait who the gently caress was going to be Spider-man

Peter Parker, presumably.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would say all of them except Tomasi's B&R were really bad but then I thought the main story was really bad too, so who the gently caress even knows.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Snyder is bad at writing the Joker, that's all. His two (huge, disruptive) Joker stories are the worst parts of his run, and the Red Hood One stuff is the worst part of Zero Year.

I think Snyder buys into the mythology of Batman and the Joker a bit too much. You see it start once Bruce comes back. He'd been writing great stories with Dick as Batman, but once he got his hands on Bruce I feel like he has a chip on his shoulder about living up to the "real" Batman. Mostly I do still like his new 52 stuff but anything with his Joker is basically unreadable to me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Superheavy was good and fun, further proving that Snyder excels at writing Batmen who aren't Bruce Wayne

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It feels like they need a fun issue. Team books always need a fun issue every so often. I don't think X-Men would have gone this long without everyone going to the mall or playing baseball

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not really. People who still see him as a murderer are the minority now. For the rest he's the snarky jerk with a heart of gold of the Batfamily with a dash of cool dad thanks to his current relationship with Bizarro.

Nah.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hiddenriverninja posted:

jason must die

Good news!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Matt Wagner books Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk are updates of some of the grim pulpy stories from the 40s, highly recommended. They also take place right after Year One and follow the relationship between Batman and Jim Gordon as it develops.

Read The Cult! It's loving cool as hell and Batman gets absolutely torn apart and has to rebuild his mind after being tortured and brainwashed for weeks. Incredible artwork by Bernie Wrightson.

The early Legends of the Dark Knight stories are great for this feel too. Gothic, Venom, Going Sane.

If you liked Court of Owls read Snyder's older Batman stories like Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would have voted for Batman & Robin on a list of best stories without even knowing if you were talking about Morrison's or Tomasi/Gleason's B&R

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like Knightfall pretty well. It is definitely longer than it needs to be, and a lot of the tie ins are pretty unnecessary, but what crossover isn't?

It's not the best or the worst giant Batman crossover event. I think everyone should read the main storyline, at least.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Duke is good, his costume is good, and his codename is good. Read We Are Robin! Don't read Robin War. I guess it figures in to the Rebirth Nightwing series a little bit. I still wouldn't call it worth reading.

I liked B&RE better than BE probably because it was mostly the kids interacting, despite Batman telling his son that he's OK with Jason killing people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm just really into Signal because I loving hated Lark and I'm really glad they didn't make it Duke's actual codename.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay, another quick question from the not-to-good-with-comics-guy. Working on getting my hands on and getting through the various recommendations I've gotten from the thread, but out of curiosity is there an easy way to find the chronological order of release that isn't Wikipedia?

Like, is Batman Year One Batman #1 to #50, Killing Joke Batman #200 to #202 and so on, or is it like Year One ends at #30 and the next one is Batman Black Mask #1? If I do get into things, I want to know the right place to continue on from instead of jumping around from story to story.

And how does this play into this New 52 business?

Year One was Batman 404-407 but usually the "big deal" stories weren't just issues of Batman but special miniseries, like DKR was DKR 1-4 and Killing Joke was just a single issue release.

The chronological reading order is a huge hosed up mess that's basically divided into Post Crisis (with his origin as told in Year One) and New 52 (where his origin is told in Zero Year) but a lot of stuff in Rebirth sort of suggests that both timelines happened.

I was working on a reading order a while back using this website - http://www.therealbatmanchronologyproject.com/
This guy gets way deeper than most people are going to need to do but I find it pretty fascinating.

Heres some highlights in order from the list I compiled:
Year One - Batman 404-407
One Night in Gotham City - Man of Steel #3 (from 1986, post-Crisis Superman and Batman's first meeting)
Batman & the Monster Men
Batman & the Mad Monk (both self contained miniseries by Matt Wagner)
The Man Who Laughs (single issue release, first encounter with the Joker)
Gothic - Legends of the Dark Knight 6-10
Blades - Legends of the Dark Knight 32-34
Going Sane - Legends of the Dark Knight 65-68
The Long Halloween (13 issue miniseries)
This is where it gets nasty because Jeph Loeb being Jeph Loeb puts every Bat-villain he can think of in this story even though it's by all logic less than a year or two after Year One. There's no good post-Crisis origin story for Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Riddler, Mad Hatter, or the Penguin but all of them appear in Long Halloween. I personally ignore most of these guys since they barely contribute anything to the story anyway.
Dark Victory (another 13 issue miniseries) The sequel to Long Halloween muddles things even worse with most of the same villains and a few new ones. I only recommend this story because it's my favorite Dick Grayson origin story.
The Gauntlet - A one shot, Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet, from 1997. Bruce puts Dick through a challenge to see if he's ready to hit the streets as Robin.
Robin: Year One - 4 issue miniseries
Batgirl: Year One - 4 issue miniseries, works great as a direct followup to Robin: Year One. Avaliable as a single trade release now.

As you can see almost all of this takes place in self-contained miniseries or special issues. When you get past everyone's origin stories and into the big crossovers like Knightfall, Contagion, or No Man's Land, it's spread out across dozens of different comics. Unfortunately there's just so much goddamn Batman comics it's almost impossible to read everything in order the first time.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

OscarDiggs posted:

I'm guessing then that at a certain point I'll be familiar enough with Batman "Canon" that the jumping around won't be to much of an issue?

Slight continuation of the question then; direct chronological order is for dumb dumbs, but what about for side stories and things? Someone mentioned Batman and Robin volumes upthread. So for example, are they one to one with regular Batman or does volume one end at Batman #800 and volume two starts at #1006? For example.

It's probably dumb and jumping ahead to worry about side stories and things now. It's just, if I'm going through the recommended list, what is also happening at the same time, if you get my meaning.

Yeah sort of? If you know the basic order that things happened, like first you had Bruce, then Dick became Robin, then Batgirl shows up, then Jason Todd is Robin, then he dies, then Tim Drake, etc. then you can place when a story happens roughly, which is usually more thought than the writers put in.

With the trade volumes, a lot of them are concurrent with each other since for instance New 52 Batman & Robin and New 52 Batman were being published at the same time, but aside from crossovers they don't reference each other much, so you can usually just focus on one title at a time. The odd incongruity (when did Joker cut his face off? When did so-and-so change their costume?) gets filled in as you read other comics.

• Locked thread