Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yeah, I loving hated DKR, for many of the reasons stated, and turning Batman into a Bat-hypocrite, and I just wasn't a fan of the art and I hated the TV interviews that were a half page of talking heads over and over again. That said, I did like Carrie Kelly, and that scene at the beginning where Bruce is channel surfing and Zorro comes on. I'm also not as fond of Year One as most people either, but I'd still call it good.

Roth posted:

Also, I think the current Spoiler costume is growing on me. I still prefer the old version though.

Roth posted:

I just remembered, I really adore The Doom That Came to Gotham.

One of my favorite DC Elseworld stories, since I love Cthulhu poo poo in general.

The art's pretty good, especially the design of the Eldritch beings

Also Jason Todd dies in it too.

100% agree on both points. The Doom that Came to Gotham was one of my first comics and I still like it.

As for my top three Batman comics, I'd probably say Batman vs. Predator, Arkham Asylum, and either The Killing Joke or Batman and the Monster Men. Outside of Bats himself, I like Steph, Cass and Azrael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Madkal posted:

Batman: Various Elseworlds I always felt Batman shined in the eleseworld. Unfortunately they aren't all collected in one giant volume (come on DC), but some gems are Batman: Red Rain (which has Kelly Jones art and features Batman vs Dracula), Citizen Wayne (where a young reporter tries to figure out whey Wayne and Dent fell to their deaths and why one was dressed as a bat), Castle of the Bat (where Herr Doktor Wayne tries to make his own Frankenstein's monster) and there are probably a few other stories that I can't recall straight away.

It's not one giant volume, but they are reprinting a whole bunch of Elseworlds, and the first Batman volume is out. The contents of volume one are largely ones I've heard decent enough things about :

Amazon Page posted:

Collects BATMAN: HOLY TERROR, BATMAN: THE BLUE, THE GREY, AND THE BAT, ROBIN 3000 #1-2, BATMAN/DARK JOKER: THE WILD, BATMAN/HOUDINI: THE DEVIL’S WORKSHOP, BATMAN: CASTLE OF THE BAT, BATMAN: IN DARKEST KNIGHT and BATMAN: DARK ALLEGIANCES

Volume 2 is coming later this year, but looks to be just a reprint of the Batman - Vampire collection. Not that that's bad, but it's still easy enough to find. Volume 3 is sometime next year and its contents ones that I've heard of, but not about, namely Brotherhood of the Bat, Scar of the Bat, Dark Knight Dynasty, and Manbat.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Sorry for the doublepost, but:

A couple of weeks ago, someone mentioned that the three best Batman stories are TKJ/TDKR/Year One (or, that if you were to quiz a random person that's what would be presented). I'm interested in testing that, so made up a strawpoll so everyone can choose what they consider to be the three "best" Batman stories. I think I've covered pretty much every conceivable choice one could realistically make, so go crazy.

Anyways, here's the link.

I have read tragically few of those, but I will take the time to ask: where's Batman vs. Predator Toxx?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I like Year One but it's got lots of stupid Miller-isms, like Gordon being SO BADASS he can take out a younger guy twice his size so easily that he has to give him a bat to "make it fair".

Incidentally, it also features fully grown Batman saving baby Barbara Gordon, so take that, creepy people who think the relationship is acceptable.

Wasn't it James Jr.? I thought that the baby in Year One was a boy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, Bronze Age Batman had Barbara Gordon actually be Gordon's adopted daughter, in fact.

Oh? That was going to be a second part of that, I thought I'd heard she was a niece or something.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

She was Gordon's niece in Post-Crisis pre-Flashpoint DCU, yes.

Travis343 posted:

Yup, I believe Jim legally adopted her eventually but they were not biological father/daughter. Barbara is older than James Jr. as seen in The Black Mirror when it's suspected that James Jr. has killed one of Barbara's friends.

Ok, thanks. I've not read any comics that touched on that, I actually thought it'd been retconned back at some point before Nu52. I was going to mention that in my post, but then I started thinking that I might be super wrong, so thanks for clearing that up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bane should get a series where he just goes on El Santo-like adventures.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I picked up the Detective Comics trade and I thought it looked pretty good in there. The yellow outline was pretty minimal in it though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Have you read Grendel, D_T? It sounds like that's basically what you want Bane to be.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gaunab posted:

I posted this in Chat thread but I'll post it here too: What are some good Batman stories? I've read Year One, Killing Joke, Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, The Man Who Laughs, Monster Men, and The Mad Monk. I like the more grounded stories where he's on his own but I don't care about those things as long as the story is good.

The Chat thread had some great recommendations and this thread was referred to so I'd like to hear some of your picks.

I will second the recommendation for Gates of Gotham. I will also recommend Batman vs Predator. I also actually really liked the Batman/TMNT comic too, if that's not too weird. The new Detective Comics, at least the first arc, is good as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I really love Arkham Asylum, it's moody and odd, even if some of the design choices, like Joker's text, is a little hard to follow. I highly recommend it, but then again I loving hate DKR and Arkham Asylum is pretty far from that one beyond "a dark Batman story."

Roth posted:

I remember finding Arkham Asylum to be very difficult to follow, and I was pretty put off by how it was laid out.

It can be difficult to penetrate, I will definitely grant that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I like Long Halloween, but those last couple pages suck and totally mess up the story. I haven't read Dark Victory or Hush yet.

After Year One (I'm not as in love with it as others, I think it's just decent, but then again I really don't like The Dark Knight Returns), I'd recommend checking out Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk, both by Matt Wagner, and then follow that up with The Man Who Laughs by Brubaker. If you read it in that order, it sorta tracks the change of Gotham from a mob city to a supervillain city. I want to recommend Batman vs Predator, it's one of my favourites and the second one got me into comics, but they're not really "necessary" stories, though that scene with Alfred is probably one of those defining scenes in my mind.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Madkal posted:

There was already a Batman/Spiderman crossover with Bagley on art. From what I remember about it, it was pretty bad and had Carnage gushing and fanboying all over Joker and Joker not giving a gently caress about Carnage.

There were two, that one (I liked Joker and Carnage deciding to team up only to have it all fall apart before they do anything because, well, Carnage doesn't give a poo poo about theatricality and Joker thinks mindless murder is super lame), and the second with Kingpin and Ra's al-Ghul. Neither are great, really.

Kinda wish we got to see Batman take down Mysterio though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Quixk question: How long has Mad Hatter been a pedophile in the comics? Because yeesh that Anarky arc in Detective was bad and gross.

I believe it was Arkham Asylum that introduced the idea. I'm pretty sure AA was never canon, so why that's the one thing people took from it is beyond me. Well, I guess that if they'd taken Clayface as disease it would have been a extremely radical reinterpretation that would have made for a very divergent character evolution, but frankly it's the more interesting option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am pretty sure he was not a pedophile in AA just deranged and obsessive.

I mean, you could argue that his monologue is just phrased weird, but the script specifically calls him out as "an acid casualty paedophile who's become a brilliantly pathological criminal." Yes, the script has its differences from the finished product, but this scene made it through mostly intact, minus Hatter playing around with a doll super creepily.

That's a much better line-up than what's in the HC, I was planning on waiting for the trade anyways, but now I'm sure.

Speaking of waiting for the paperbacks, has anyone heard if Year Two is getting one any time soon? I've been intrigued for a while.

Edit: edited to make what I meant more clear. Sorry TFS, but thanks for your help. Every once in a while there's a deluxe edition that doesn't get a paperback, I was just hoping someone had heard that this one won't be.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread