Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

kikkelivelho posted:

I've played this for a few hours now and I want to say it reminds me of the Gothic series? It has that same janky but interesting and deep Euro RPG feel to it. The voice acting is a bit amateurish but it does the job and some of the actors are definitely better than what Skyrim had.

It has also reminded me of just how terrible something as basic as moving around feels like in these Bethesda games

It is pretty dang sad that Skyrim's VA work is so wooden. I don't even think it has anything to do with the actors themselves, something about how conversations are set up in Oblivion and Skyrim (and to some extent Morrowind) makes even good actors come off as newcomers to the profession. From what I've heard in this mod, the only issue beyond a few stilted performances seems to be the translated-from-german lines they have to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So this arcane fever, is it a timed gameover kind of thing or just a mechanic that incentivizes sleep and buying ambrosia?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Anyone know where the second point of the poem in Secrets from the Can points to? I tried talking to the questgiving boy but I can't choose to ask him what to do next due to a bug or something (starting to think I've got some mod that messes with it)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Learning points are essential for putting into rhetoric so I get more EXP out of quests and more gold and such. Also supposedly you can craft cool poo poo later with Handicraft?

I'm pretty sure the weapon skills are also worth putting points into. Maybe? I think it's only magic that's kinda whatever.

You got it, any old GOLD goblet (needs to be specifically a gold goblet) and an emerald. I'm not sure if it needs to just be a standard emerald or if flawless will work as well but a regular one definitely works

It needs to be a regular one, as I found out after buying a flawless one :saddowns:

Edit: also in regards to the skull you get from the semi-crazy lady in Riverville, where were you supposed to use it again? Her grating voice made me skip her dialogue and there was no quest to point the way.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Do the collectible symbols do anything beyond give you exp?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

The first one needs an emerald AND a golden goblet, AND it needs to be a regular emerald, not flawless.

I don't know about the books. I'm up to 6/10 and so far they have all been just laying around on the world. There seems to be many copies of all of them.

Edit: Also the further you get in the game, the better the scenery seems to get. The Sun Coast was fine but kinda boring, some later areas are actually somewhat unique feeling to explore. I poked my head into the desert briefly (shortly before it got chopped off) and that place looks pretty amazing.

A big thing with this mod is that there's a real issue of shifting quality between areas, and even dungeons in those areas. Quality Control is a difficult beast as it is, but when you've got a large crew making a giant mod it becomes almost impossible for everything to be at the same awesome level.

Some places are just ok, some are unfinished, and others would net you a job almost immediately if you admitted to making them.

Edit: By the by, where can I sell off staves? I'm carting around like 5 of them right now and there is no merchant in Ark I can find that buys them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So far the only way I've been able to become a shareholder in anything is by sabotaging a wine cellar and stealing shares from a corrupt landlord. I'll be pretty happy if it turns out the only way to trade in shares is to be a thieving bastard.

Edit: Speaking of the wine barrel thing, what are some quests you could easily overlook if you aren't careful in Ark?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

What's the deal with these combined skill trees? Do I have to max out the trees I want to combine to get a special bonus or something?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alright, I haven't beaten the game yet but I have to call out this story crap going on right now

So, you hear about this evil atheist Nehrim empire attacking your fake-religion controlled Enderal, and immediately you think "Hmm maybe there's some depth to this, maybe this is all exaggerated and the story is more subtle than that". But then they arrive and they're essentially strawmen of atheists from Creationist screeds. Which would be fine, except for things like them mentioning evolution outright and social darwinism in so many words. Which are not exactly concepts that would exist in a world like this, I imagine. Like this nation barely knows how cannons work and they are a plaguetorn mess but evolution, yeah, that's something we know a lot about. When Nehrim spoke about destiny and gods and what is good and making a choice with that, you bought it because those are concepts that have been around for ages and ages and you'd imagine even a fantasy land with fake gods would have philosophers. And then it is said the evil Not-Reapers or Not-Demons are controlling the guy saying all this.

But beyond that, you have to wait for outright 10 minutes for this in-game cutscene to play out (no skipping as far as I could tell) where the atheist leader rants at your fake religion's leader and your guy mostly just calls the other guy a loon. And then that's followed by some walking through a meadow and into a house and taking part in ANOTHER in-game cutscene talking with your dead family. There are way, WAY too many instances of poo poo like this. The cutscenes are fine in the sense that they're well set up and actually plays a bit with your camera, something Skyrim almost never did because it meant they might break the fragile engine running it.

There's a reason Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls games just take control away from you for at most a few minutes tops in the entire game, intro scene included.

Of course, this might all be moot. The story seems to hint that you're either dreaming or this Mass Effect ripoff plot is actually all something else, and you might just be dead or dying, or some sort of demon jumping between bodies. But it doesn't matter because I've been playing for ages to get to the appropriate level to do these main quests and the side stuff's plot quality is a lot better in many respects. There's still a mystery left that they hint at with the subtlety of a brick to the face in the main quest, but it is just so frustrating to take part in.

Edit: What is this poo poo: http://imgur.com/a/95lCX

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 22, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's a painting of Godzilla attacking a sailing ship and I'd be proud to have it hanging in my home.

Not five minutes later I run into a "Luke in the ice cave" reference. I couldn't even take his lightsaber :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Does killing the Blind Miner net you anything special?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So is Fire Palm extract just a fake item, or something you can actually find in the game? I ask because it is listed as the final ingredient in the potion that drove the apothecarii mad in that one quest

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Is destruction magic any good or is it as weak as it is in vanilla skyrim? I just killed the mud man in the very first tutorial dungeon and the appalling mana regeneration rate has me concerned.

Destruction will eventually just let you point and destroy enemies in seconds with little strategy. It gets really good with a lot of points invested in it.

Edit: Also, how do you progress in the stealth mission in the nobleman's estate in the main story? I get inside, sneak upstairs, but there's nothing to do. I can't interact with the statue in the room, I have the golden mead, what am I missing? Or is this bugged?

Edit 2: Nevermind, all that stuff was just a decoy. Found the right way.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 23, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd like to note that while everyone knows they made Nehrim before they made Enderal, nobody really mentions that they did two total conversions for Morrowind too, set in the same world.

Don't tell me things like that, I'll want to go play Morrowind again and remember how much I hate the interface :(

Also, almost at the end of the game and I'd say Bioware's writers should sue.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

So you're saying they should sue everyone who has ever written a fan fiction?

The world would certainly be a better place if they did.

So, where's the supposed dragon in the Northwind mountains hiding out?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zereth posted:

Mana regeneration rates are a bit low by default, so what you do is eat Mana Fungi or drink booze. Or both. You will find a shitload of wine around the place.

Ah, thank you very much!

That's something the mod does really well even at standard difficulty, making you gather and eat food and wine since you have to save every penny and healing via magic can be dangerous.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok, so I'm now utterly convinced this mod's story came from the desire to write two more endings to Mass Effect 3.

At the end of the game you are given the choice of either fleeing to guide humanity like a god in the new Cycle (which doesn't seem like a good idea if you remember the Aged Man's story) , or destroying the obvious Totally Not A Reaper Superweapon you were building like some kind of idiot to give the rest of humanity a chance to survive and do things right, but blowing up Enderal in the process.

Besides being completely contrived and a massive rant against.... something, I'm not sure what, the story is bad and I essentially called pretty much all the twists aside from the literal Deus Ex Machina-girl just going around doing her thing.

It is presented badly, because it tells itself via a bunch of unskippable scripted events and cutscenes. It gives no real reason for why stuff keeps repeating itself over millions of years almost verbatim except The Reapers did it or possibly fate, despite ostensibly removing fate in the last game. It has a lot of interesting things you wouldn't see in many other games, mainly a mostly depressive story pointing to a proper folly of man... except the folly is told in such a flat and uninteresting or just improbable way you don't give a poo poo about it at the end. Again, it might have something to do with being translated from German, but you really don't get the impression that the people you interact with through the story are human beings. It might be a problem with the engine being unable to convey a lot of movement and emotion as well, but that's just speculation.

As I stated before, it seems to have a massive hate-on for atheism, or some kind of strawman of new atheists, to the point a nation that just went through a violent revolution to overthrow a theocracy then invades another theocracy because of... reasons? Like they've barely conquered their own lands and now they're somehow set up to take over the entire continent. This all turns out to be not because their leader thinks that this is a good idea but because apparently his daddy is your commander and he is apparently a half-lightborn (god) from a secret liason between your commander and a goddess that his father wanted to cover up, so he sent the child away. This makes the child hate the gods because that's how that works I guess. Or possibly if he had his father's guidance he wouldn't have been a massive douche, but given what we know of the commander I find that improbable too. .

We are never really told what the "Daddy" in your dreams is, even at the massive plotdump at the end of the game, presented by a giant machine that looks a LOT like the baby reaper from Mass Effect 2 . Maybe he's just your subconscious self-loathing? Or possibly he's the same thing that the Butcher of Ark saw or something like that in his final volumes. I don't know, since I never found all of those books though I presume it to be left ambiguous. Or the game just sucks at storytelling, again. The books meanwhile are usually quite good at worldbuilding, to the point I'd compare some of them to Morrowind tomes, but it doesn't matter since I can't get invested in this world as I would that one since it is so haphazardly put together due to the nature of giant mods such as these.

As for the main story missions themselves, they are fine for the most part, but bugs in both combat and scripts, longwinded speeches pausing your action and terrible balance means things like the Starling centurions mentioned before are basically the hardest enemies in the game. Not because they have any cool abilities, but because they can soak more damage than most other enemies and hit like a truck. Even the final enemies of the game weren't all that hard compared to them. Dragons are tough, but easily cheesed. There's also a few missions I'd cut just to not make the game feel like such a massive slog, like the pointless gathering quests for the airship that did nothing to further the story but took forever to complete because they were boring walks through a desert into caves with more damage sponge enemies.

Also, since gold pennies are so important in this game, you spend an inordinate amount of time just hoarding it and selling stuff at stores to buy more books. Which isn't interesting, just busywork. Sometimes that's ok, but it takes way too long here what with the loading times in Ark and the sluggish interface and the stores you have to visit at certain hours of the time.

Again, the work put into this mod is phenomenal in terms of amount of content and the attention to detail, it is just too bad the story doesn't hold it all up as it should. There are interesting story points and people have proper arcs and so on, but it all just comes off really clumsy and I blame the engine and overambitious plans. Supposedly that has a lot to do with people leaving the project, but I can't say for sure.

If you liked Gothic games, you might like this, but after taking a break to finish Deus Ex Mankind etc, I'd rather play that any day of the week despite my issues with that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Max difficulty trip report: It's actually way more sensible at level one. Everything can still one hit kill you but I actually managed to kill a cave troll by standing in a river and shooting it with arrows (in skyrim you just wouldn't have the damage to kill it.) Despite putting every single level up into mana there are even some things that don't ohko me. I'm doing the gallery owner's quest to go to the dark lands as my first quest after reaching Ark and it's a ton of fun spelunking to get around impossible enemies and... spamming Summon Ancestor while hiding to kill things. I've noticed a bunch of invisible walls on terrain where Skyrim had none, which is disappointing.

I like where stealth is so far. It still has massive utility but doesn't engage blind idiot mode on all enemies as soon as you crouch, and it feels like a defining part of your character since you can't auto train it by crouching everywhere.

How's dual casting in this game? The same as vanilla or actually worth it? I hope so because I took it and have a couple hours of progress after the fact.

Dualcasting works wonders with destruction magic which is pretty crazy as is anyway.

• Locked thread