Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play AbalaBurn

AbalaBurn is a long-forgotten 3d adventure title released exclusively in Japan on the PS1. It's developed by Tamsoft, who have made a lot of other fighting games and also a few general action titles. While AbalaBurn does share some resemblance to their Battle Arena Toshinden, it's not a fighting game at heart, just an adventure game with a lot of fighting game mechanics. It's easy to understand where the confusion lies. Overall, the game is a very easy to play, mildly intriguing escape.

So about the Let's Play thing.

I'm going to be playing through the game's main mode with a single character -Blood- and showing off much of the level and enemy design, even the parts I don't understand because I can't read Japanese. It's not the longest journey, but it's deceptively lengthy compared to how light it seems at first glance. As far as I know, this is also the only full playthrough of the game being made/that has been made. So that's cool! But any advice or help would be appreciated in understanding this title more, however unlikely that is.

Videos

We found Lemuria

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ah, Tamsoft. They're responsible for a lot of Simple 2000 games. They've made a game about firing tank shells at the butt of a giant bikini model. And one about bikini wresting where one of the weapons in the arenas is an assault rifle, and all unlockable costumes cover more of the girls than their starting outfits. But mostly they're known for Oneechanbara and Senran Kagura.

I'm expecting bikini robots :colbert:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

There's actually very little sexualization in this game. In fact, if there was any, I've already forgotten it.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Holy crap that opening video is something else entirely. It almost feels like they asked one of the employees kids which effect they though looked the coolest and just slapped them all there.

Hmm, I was going to ask if you going to show off the other playable characters, but it looks like you are going to be showing at least something of each of them just by playing the game through.

That said, I imagine playing through the game as Aquila might be a pain, if it ends up blocking as much of the screen as I think it might.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We'll get to see all the characters and their move-sets as bosses, yeah.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Holy Valley, the place where uh... there's giant ants I guess. Are ants holy?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Insert windmill joke

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did you mario stomp her when you finished fighting her? Is that a moral choice or is finishing off your target how you open the door to leave?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

Did you mario stomp her when you finished fighting her? Is that a moral choice or is finishing off your target how you open the door to leave?

It's a choice, you don't have to attack them after they're done, but it doesn't affect anything

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

My URL has pbbbt in it

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

What a mislead name

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In part 4 with the mice in the traps, couldn't you use your fireball to take care of them? Also, the fireball in part 4 looks bigger than it does at part 1. Is that due to your levels or the medals?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

In part 4 with the mice in the traps, couldn't you use your fireball to take care of them? Also, the fireball in part 4 looks bigger than it does at part 1. Is that due to your levels or the medals?

I've noticed that the fireball seems to get bigger too, but I don't know what causes that. Maybe it's just our level that determines it.

Triggering the fireball from the behind-the-shoulder camera is very difficult. That is my excuse.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GUNROCK

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

what a name

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Pugilist Fireballs... Huh. And they don't even explode when they die.

Just a thought, but I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on the forums for translating Japanese text. Maybe you could go there and ask people there to look at the game text? I'd like to know the Secret of the Medallions too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The "Final" level?

And we finally answer the riddle of the medallions.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This video is like, 90% cutscenes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Any of the minibosses in this game seemed to have more health than, like, all of the final bosses combined.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

Any of the minibosses in this game seemed to have more health than, like, all of the final bosses combined.

Game balance didn't seem like a huge priority.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming each character has a unique boss in the final stretch rather than all of them fighting Blood's dad?

And Abyss got sent down an abyss. Cute.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm assuming each character has a unique boss in the final stretch rather than all of them fighting Blood's dad?

And Abyss got sent down an abyss. Cute.

Afaik they all fight Blood's dad

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I figured you played these games so much you'd have also completed this one with every character. That's what happens when I assume. :shrug:

Anywho, I'll be keeping watch for your next LP.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh, I figured you played these games so much you'd have also completed this one with every character. That's what happens when I assume. :shrug:

Anywho, I'll be keeping watch for your next LP.

There's a limited number of unlockable characters via the medallions, and Blood's dad is one of them. I just assumed that everyone fights him for that reason. As much as I like this game, I couldn't bring myself to replay through every level as all 8 characters. Maybe someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

StarFyter posted:

That said, I imagine playing through the game as Aquila might be a pain, if it ends up blocking as much of the screen as I think it might.

Oh, and I almost forgot, but Aquilla's body doesn't get in the way any.

• Locked thread