Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ever notice how bill plus hillary equal hillbilly?

i grew up in the 90's and it never dawned upon me that they were siblings.

a mason jar can be a hick cup. seen it used as such at a greasy spoon diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
mason jars as cups has been a thing at lame whatever passes for hipster places for years now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

My family used mason jars as cups growing up because my parents were cheap and we had extras after canning garden produce

This is my one folksy american story as a pampered suburban boy

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I appreciate the otherization of rural America because it allows me to tick one of those coveted minority status boxes giving me a leg up over people from urban areas.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

comes along bort posted:

mason jars as cups has been a thing at lame whatever passes for hipster places for years now

cool & good places in the south will serve you alcohol in mason jars. and as long as said place is operated by black people, you can be reasonably sure that the food and booze will taste good. i wouldnt trust white southern """food""" tho

hipster joints will serve you alcohol in mason jars, but the mason jars will be tiny mason jars for babies. the food might be worse, or you miht just be sober for it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Khyber Pass in Philly serves mixed drinks in giant loving mason jars for like 8 bux and it goddamn rules.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > C-SPAM > J.D. Vance (author of Hillbilly Elegy) Is Assuredly Full of Sweet Tea

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

theres an old divy bar I used to go to in San Marcos that has been serving beer in mason jars for like 45 years so its definitely not just a new hipster phenomenon

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

weekly font posted:

Khyber Pass in Philly serves mixed drinks in giant loving mason jars for like 8 bux and it goddamn rules.

The Khyber has been a hipster bar since 1970, it was hip before it was cool. Literally a place where this really cool band plays, you've probably never heard of them though. So hipster it was hipster before that was even a Thing.

I think Hillbillies have gotten a good light recently - Tucker and Dale vs Evil, that biopic on moonshiners with Popcorn Sutton, umm, a bunch of stuff. But hillbillies are different from rust belt whites who are dying from prescription oxy abuse at rates like twice that of the nearest group. They might not be around to vote again in the next four years.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

theres an old divy bar I used to go to in San Marcos that has been serving beer in mason jars for like 45 years so its definitely not just a new hipster phenomenon

What im getting here is that your bar served beer in mason jars before it was cool.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Turns out he's using a fake hillbilly background to spread a deserving-poor, welfare queen message:

quote:

In Mr. Vance’s estimation, the answer is: a lot. Economic insecurity, he’s convinced, accounts for only a small part of his community’s problems; the much larger issue is hillbilly culture itself. Though proud of it in many ways, he’s also convinced that it “increasingly encourages social decay instead of counteracting it.”

His frustration with the nonworking white poor is especially acute. He recalls being a cashier at a Middletown grocery store and watching resentfully as his neighbors, who had creatively gamed the welfare system, jabbered on their cellphones as they were going through the checkout line.

He could not afford a cellphone.

“Political scientists have spent millions of words trying to explain how Appalachia and the South went from staunchly Democratic to staunchly Republican in less than a generation,” Mr. Vance writes. He suspects those cellphones have a lot to do with it. “I could never understand why our lives felt like a struggle while those living off of government largess enjoyed trinkets that I only dreamed about.”

Time and again, Mr. Vance preaches a message of tough love and personal responsibility. He has no patience with an old acquaintance who told him he quit his job because he hated waking up early, only to take to Facebook to blame the “Obama economy.” Or with a former co-worker at a tile warehouse who missed work once a week though his girlfriend was pregnant.

Squint, and you’ll note the incendiary nature of Mr. Vance’s argument. It’s always treacherous business to blame a group for its own misfortunes. Certainly, an outsider cannot say what Mr. Vance is saying to his kin and kind. But he can — just as President Obama can say to fellow African-Americans, “brothers should pull up their pants,” as he did on MTV.

Apparently this is a "compassionate analysis" of the rural white working class

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/books/review-in-hillbilly-elegy-a-compassionate-analysis-of-the-poor-who-love-trump.html

:fuckoff: NY Times and JD Vance

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
If we end welfare, the desperately impoverished will be forced to get jobs... Somewhere. They'll have to find em! Or die!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's part and parcel of establishment conservatism turning on the white hoi polloi using the same arguments they used a generation ago to explain why the blacks were culturally prone to laziness and criminality to explain why they're not buying into their economic messaging.

Charles Murray of all people kinda got that ball rolling on that with Coming Apart.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Saurus posted:

quote:

“Political scientists have spent millions of words trying to explain how Appalachia and the South went from staunchly Democratic to staunchly Republican in less than a generation,” Mr. Vance writes. He suspects those cellphones have a lot to do with it. “I could never understand why our lives felt like a struggle while those living off of government largess enjoyed trinkets that I only dreamed about.” 

he makes it sound like some grand debate over an impossible question but literally everyone except conservatives decided decades ago it was over white supremacy and not loving cell phones lol

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Also southern Appalachia has been staunchly Republican since the 19th century.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Saurus posted:

Turns out he's using a fake hillbilly background to spread a deserving-poor, welfare queen message:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/books/review-in-hillbilly-elegy-a-compassionate-analysis-of-the-poor-who-love-trump.html

JD Vance is one of those guys who everyone tells to get a cell phone but he complains that he can't afford a hundred and twenty bucks a month for his phone (because the only carrier he's willing to go through is Verizon and the only phone he's willing to own is a smartphone)

You've been able to get unlimited minutes cell phone plans for 30-50 dollars a month across the country for ten loving years now! Sure, your coverage isn't going to work outside of the area you live in but at least it's something. Does this guy think all those obamaphone people are on national carriers?

In fairness to what Vance is trying to say, I agree that a great deal of white poverty is self-inflicted but it's certainly not in the hillbilly America vance is referring to. While I'm sure the dudes who grew up with him in the suburbs of one of middle america's larger cities probably all have completely bullshit reasons for being unemployed white people who live in flyover country don't really have a ton of options and cuts to the benefits of millennials who have some bizarre standard of what a workable job is also affects the people who really, actually need those benefits. Vance's dumb hillbilly elegy just plumps up the arguments of people trying to dismantle what last vestiges of social welfare support still exist. gently caress this guy, I literally hope he dies.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Aug 23, 2016

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Where are all these millenials refusing totally-workable-jobs in your book?

Is there any chance of the white working class going back to neoliberal conservatism after this, or is populism the future? I think it could do pretty well with someone who was less retarded than Trump at the helm.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Conservatives were able to get the white working class to go along with neoliberalism during the second half of the 20th century because the economy was generally good. There was social mobility and a large middle class back then.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Saurus posted:

Where are all these millenials refusing totally-workable-jobs in your book?

Not sure if I get what you're asking here

If you're being sarcastic I was referring to the specific example JD Vance cited (the guy who quit his job because the hours were too early, and then blamed the economy) which I believe is a real example because I have met enough of those people to know that they exist. We are a more informed generation, by and large, than previous ones and as a result we tend to have all the information we need to make terrible decisions.

Basically, the internet makes everyone else's grass look greener and young people tend to be too naive to realize that every job is miserable and everything your employer will ask you is a grave imposition and that you just need to loving get over it. I don't doubt every generation has this problem, I would just be willing to bet it was more prominent with the age group that has millions of other experiences to compare to and share with.

If you're asking where they fall on the political spectrum, they probably voted Bernie Sanders/Donald Trump at a 3:2 or 7:4 ratio or didn't vote at all in the primary, and in the presidential they will probably vote Trump or not at all.

I think it's fair to say neoconservativism is dead at this point. The GOP poisoned the well on free trade (lol, gg) and I don't see any possible way they can fix what they've done short of replacing their voter base.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Aug 24, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

The Saurus posted:

I loving love all these dudes who always piss and moan "everybody cheats BUT ME boo hoo hoo why is my life so hard all these cheaters are living just like 18th century French aristocracy or like insanely wealthy Rockefellers and I'm just stuck here following the rules like a chump a bloo bloo bloo"

A. if cheating the system was such a glorious way to live and there were literally no downsides or long term consequences, how loving dumb are you to not cheat the system too? I guess you want a medal and a sloppy blowjob from the president for being "the guy who played fairly and by the rules that no one else needed to follow to be content"?

B. it seems like cheating the welfare system and living off the government largess isn't as glamorous as you imply, because you were clearly materially rewarded for working hard and playing by the rules and being born a white, middle-class male who could afford to go to college, or however you want to frame your argument. since everything has clearly worked out okay for you, why the gently caress are you still griping about all those dumbshits you left behind who were content to jabber on their free Obamaphones and skip literally one day of work each week? if they're happy, this weird obsession you have with their choices makes you look like an incredibly petty bitch

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You can buy mason jars with handles now like a beer mug its hosed up

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

homeless poster posted:

an incredibly petty bitch

might as well be the thread subtitle

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Lol Yale. First you give us Tiger Mom and now this.

At least Harvard is content is rule the earth without trying to be culturally relevant

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

At least Harvard is content is rule the earth without trying to be culturally relevant

christ I'm glad that tiger mom poo poo died down fast

child abuse is not cool and good and managing your child's schedule like you were their administrative assistant is, at least in my opinion, absolutely child abuse

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
you just described every mom in asia

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
apparently the actual tiger mom book is a lot more nuanced and she realizes that she was horrible to her kids but she then wrote a bunch of bullshit in the wsj to promote it about how the tiger mom is the best way to do things

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LegoPirateNinja posted:

when you command the awe of every wealthy family in the west and most of the non-wealthy ones you don't really have to try, doesn't make harvard any less awful

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
It's going to be fun watching the conservative intelligentsia turn on the people who put them there and scream at them for being losers because they're finally starting to wake up and vote for an end to being buttfucked, it'll be interesting to see where it leaves american society and politics in a few years.

some interesting articles, most from around the time of that awful NR article

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/15/11236618/trump-conservatives-working-class

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/opinion/republican-elites-reign-of-disdain.html?_r=0

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

so between this and that White Trash book are poor whites in now?

don't forget the smug liberalism article!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I was with a friend at a restaurant in New Orleans and he ordered a bottle of sparking water and the waiter looked at him and asked "a bottle of what now?"

I think it might be a regional thing, like calling it mineral water

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I was with a friend at a restaurant in New Orleans and he ordered a bottle of sparking water and the waiter looked at him and asked "a bottle of what now?"

they had clearly canadian at every red lobster in loving america and as a millennial who grew up in a great lakes "half-rural" hick area like this fuckhead i know for a loving fact this guy has eaten at some red lobsters in his time

JD vance pisses me off! Argh!

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Not buying that he heard it for the first time during his second year of law school at Yale after graduating college and serving in the military.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JDVance1/status/784879212192595968

:jerkbag:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I have never heard of this guy but I hate him. Did those loving morons at the NYT not learn from George W Bush?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"now this is a yale graduate millionaire you can just sit down and have a beer with, y'know?"--the new york times

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

if anyone else I'd assume this was a solid slam on the 'mexicans are all rapists but I assume some are good people' chestnut, but yea I'm pretty sure Vance just genuinely wants to remind you that the people voting for the pussy grabbing white nationalist are actually good guys and please be nice.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I had a serious thread about this in main D&D but luckily I can post about it here without making totally structure arguments.

Basically the entire "hillybilly" thing on the East Coast (and yes, Ohio is the East Coast) is just bizarre if you've ever been in the Western States.

Like, there is nowhere in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Ohio etc. where you are more than three hours from a major metropolis. And there are no major physical barriers: there are no mountain ranges where it snows from October to May. Those hills are like 1000 feet tall, and covered with major highways and freeways.

So its bizarre for me to hear people do this "I'm just a poor country boy" schitck when they live one hour from a city of a million people, and even that suburb is 30 to 50 thousand people. I've been in places in Montana where it is literally an hour to a grocery store. So its weird to hear people talk about how oppressed they were growing up in the distant rural locale of Zanesville, Ohio or something.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

glowing-fish posted:

I had a serious thread about this in main D&D but luckily I can post about it here without making totally structure arguments.

Basically the entire "hillybilly" thing on the East Coast (and yes, Ohio is the East Coast) is just bizarre if you've ever been in the Western States.

Like, there is nowhere in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Ohio etc. where you are more than three hours from a major metropolis. And there are no major physical barriers: there are no mountain ranges where it snows from October to May. Those hills are like 1000 feet tall, and covered with major highways and freeways.

So its bizarre for me to hear people do this "I'm just a poor country boy" schitck when they live one hour from a city of a million people, and even that suburb is 30 to 50 thousand people. I've been in places in Montana where it is literally an hour to a grocery store. So its weird to hear people talk about how oppressed they were growing up in the distant rural locale of Zanesville, Ohio or something.

Eh, I totally believe it. My wife teaches in the Bronx, and there are literally people who never venture south of 125th st. It's a real thing for people to be rooted so firmly in their comfort zone no matter how ridiculous it looks.

My hometown in a suburb of Boston was sorta the same. I'd go to Cambridge and Boston by myself in high school, but I had classmates who were terrified, and never went into the city even though they had cars.

Now that I think about it, I know at least a dozen people who leave their hometown (areas) when absolutely necessary. It's really mostly an anxiety/fear thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Are his initials actually J.D. or did he adopt his degree as his name?

• Locked thread