Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The card in question: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/Graphics-Cards-AMD/subcat/AMD-R9-380-Series

So, I was playing Witcher 3 today, which is a game I've got about 20 hours in with no issues. I alt-tabbed out to look at something online and after a couple of minutes my computer suddenly went very quiet and both my monitors lost their input although they are both still powered on. I restarted the computer using the power button a couple of times, no luck, so I had a look inside and although the light on the graphics card is lit, the fans aren't spinning. The heatsink for the card was hot, but it did not smell burned and I don't remember it sounding especially overworked whilst I was playing. I've connected a monitor to the motherboard and have been able to use the computer with this to try and figure out what the problem is. On trying to load up the Radeon software I had this message:

So I downloaded the auto-detect application to reinstall the drivers and when I ran that, had this message:

This was about the point the real sinking feeling set in. I'm now 99% sure my graphics card is bust, but a second opinion would be helpful. I did manually find the drivers and install them but that does not seem to have had any effect. I haven't tried anything like taking out the card and putting it back in as I'm a lot less confident messing around with that stuff, but I'll give it a go if that might help.

Here's the specs of the computer http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/y8R3Q7 with the exception that the power supply is a Corsair RM650 rather than what's listed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like the card is dead, but I would try reseating it and its power cables just to make sure.

• Locked thread