Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Black Box was responsible for some of the best games in the Need For Speed series – most notably, the original Most Wanted – but by 2008 they were making nothing but flops. Heck, NFS Undercover actually managed to get a 4 from IGN, which was more or less unheard of for an EA game back then. But Black Box had a plan: an entirely new kind of racing game, focused more on cinematics and scripted sequences than on competitive tracks or multiplayer. It would be more like a movie than a game, and they even hired Michael Bay to direct the trailer. EA even hired another company to develop some interim titles, so they would have the time they needed to get everything done. They were going to get back on top! They were gonna make it all the way!!!

The Run was the last game Black Box ever made.

So join me and Great Joe as we drive from San Francisco to New York in a really dumb and bad racing game. Updates will be approximately once a week, unless I forgot or whatever. Fuckin’ A!

VIDEOS:
Stage 1: West Coast
Stage 2: National Park
Stage 3: Death Valley
Stage 4: Desert Hills
Joe plays THE RUN

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

:firstpost:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

STAGE ONE: WEST COAST

Naturally, as a CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE this game has a lot of cutscenes. I'd say more than half of this video is just listening to people talk endlessly about nothing. But it's very exciting nothing because it involves THE RUN! (THE RUN is legally distinct from CANNONBALL RUN please do not sue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEzwUFhyZg4

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Frank Gibeau's LinkedIn posted:

Frank Gibeau is a mobile, PC and console gaming industry veteran, with nearly 25 years of experience in interactive entertainment. He is currently a member of the board of directors for Zynga and Graphiq.

Mr. Gibeau spent more than two decades at Electronic Arts Inc., where he held a number of influential business and product leadership roles. Most recently he served as the Executive Vice President of EA Mobile from October 2013 to May 2015, where he led strategy, product development and publishing for the company’s fast-growing mobile games business. In that role, Mr. Gibeau managed EA’s portfolio of popular mobile franchises including The Simpsons: Tapped Out, Plants vs. Zombies, Real Racing, Bejeweled, Star Wars, Minions, SimCity, EA SPORTS, and The Sims.

Prior to that, Mr. Gibeau was President of EA Studios from 2011 to 2013, where he oversaw IP development, worldwide product management and marketing for major console and PC properties including Battlefield, FIFA, Madden NFL, Need for Speed, SimCity, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and The Sims. He also spent four years as the President of the EA Games Label, where he was responsible for a business turnaround that resulted in increased product quality, on time game delivery and dramatically reduced costs. Before that, Mr. Gibeau acted as EA’s Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Americas, where he was directly responsible for a publishing operation that accounted for more than $1.5 billion of EA’s annual revenue.
To the people working in development at EA, Frank Gibeau was one of the worst influences on how games were going at the time. He would actively refuse to greenlight "any game to be developed as a single-player experience". This means that if your game concept doesn't at least have online leaderboards showing times, scores, or some other player tracking, it wasn't going to be made. This is why every Need for Speed, from Hot Pursuit onwards has an AutoLog feature - even if for just for tracking times - and a more-or-less tacked on multiplayer mode.

I said this in the video, but it bears repeating: Need for Speed: The Run is a passion project. It got extra development time, starting off sometime in 2008 and getting released in 2011, with "filler" titles coming out from Slightly Mad Studios, Criterion Games and Firebrand Games. Mind you, "extra development time" wasn't really a thing until The Run, they'd been making one game a year since 2002, The Run was supposed to be Black Box's magnum opus. It's clear that Black Box got significantly more creative freedom, or at least the ability to implement a few more different ideas except for just a barebones racing model and the pretense afforded by RPG progression mechanics, ideas like a more involved story with multiple characters, a narrative following just one long race and QTE action sequences. That said, it still had to tick all the CEO-mandated boxes.

Synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer, the latter tracking multiple different stats about each player; a licensed EA Trax soundtrack with whatever punkish rock and EDM was popular at the time (Skrillex and Deadmau5, right?); an over-budget trailer directed by Michael Bay, and a ton of licensed cars. Licensed cars are a problem, but that's another mini-article.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 17, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Will Jack Rourke drive so fast that the mob goes away? Yes. Will Jack and Samantha act reasonable towards the serving staff of the restaurants they frequent? No.

There's also a briefcase, and if you get enough xp from driving, you get more driving.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This reminds me of the Most Wanted LP done a few years back, where I witnessed first-hand, the inability of goons to differentiate between Mexican-Spanish and Italian.

And by "reminds", I mean that this is a NFS game, and that's where the similarities end. Other than that, I'm completely indifferent to what's happened in the game so far, and that's really bad for a game to do.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

All I want out of a racing game is to hit cows and have them turn into large meat chunks.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Esoteric Banana posted:

All I want out of a racing game is to hit cows and have them turn into large meat chunks.
Carmageddon is a pretty good series, yeah.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Man this thing takes itself far too seriously. What was their budget on it?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Great Joe posted:

To the people working in development at EA, Frank Gibeau was one of the worst influences on how games were going at the time. He would actively refuse to greenlight "any game to be developed as a single-player experience". This means that if your game concept doesn't at least have online leaderboards showing times, scores, or some other player tracking, it wasn't going to be made. This is why every Need for Speed, from Hot Pursuit onwards has an AutoLog feature - even if for just for tracking times - and a more-or-less tacked on multiplayer mode.

I said this in the video, but it bears repeating: Need for Speed: The Run is a passion project. It got extra development time, starting off sometime in 2008 and getting released in 2011, with "filler" titles coming out from Slightly Mad Studios, Criterion Games and Firebrand Games. Mind you, "extra development time" wasn't really a thing until The Run, they'd been making one game a year since 2002, The Run was supposed to be Black Box's magnum opus. It's clear that Black Box got significantly more creative freedom, or at least the ability to implement a few more different ideas except for just a barebones racing model and the pretense afforded by RPG progression mechanics, ideas like a more involved story with multiple characters, a narrative following just one long race and QTE action sequences. That said, it still had to tick all the CEO-mandated boxes.

Synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer, the latter tracking multiple different stats about each player; a licensed EA Trax soundtrack with whatever punkish rock and EDM was popular at the time (Skrillex and Deadmau5, right?); an over-budget trailer directed by Michael Bay, and a ton of licensed cars. Licensed cars are a problem, but that's another mini-article.

Was he also responsible for the online pass fiasco? I remember it was a huge deal when EA finally admitted that, yes, that was a bullshit idea that should never have been put forward in the first place.

Thinking about it as well, do EA even release single-player focussed games these days?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I always thought that the Need for Speed series were reliable racing games. Not good, not bad, just average. Kind of like a poor man's Gran Turismo.

I was wrong. I was so wrong.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Ceciltron posted:

I always thought that the Need for Speed series were reliable racing games. Not good, not bad, just average. Kind of like a poor man's Gran Turismo.

The only consistent thing about NFS is that it's published by EA and has cars in it. Otherwise, they are all over the place when it comes to actual quality.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ceciltron posted:

Need for Speed can be pretty much anything at this point, really. EA can (and does) put the brand on any driving game that includes licensed cars, so the franchise has been all over the place for the last 20 years (the original Road & Track Presents The Need For Speed on the 3DO and DOS is still the best game in the series).

The Run is not exactly a good representation of... well, anything.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Doc Morbid posted:

The Run is not exactly a good representation of... well, anything.

I'd argue it's a good representation of what happens when a game studio forgets that they aren't in the film industry.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ceciltron posted:

To me the series peaked at Hot Pursuit. Which was okay, aside from some really bullshit rubberband AI towards the end. That kind of soured me towards the end to the point I could only be arsed to finish the "Bad guy" part of the game because the Police section also was a bunch of solid grade bullshit.
But I still liked the free roam mode and the environments were nice.

I picked up Most Wanted back when it was on the house for Origin and was going to play it just because I was bored.
Then I saw the DLC list and went nope and promptly forgot about that idea.

Now this otoh just looks amazingly bad and I could be misremembering but back when it got announced on some E3 it looked really unimpressive there as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I played NFS Porsche. It had two modes. One was Factory Driver full of challenges of the same grade of BS as the tutorial in Driver. The other was the interesting mode where you raced through decades of Porsche designs (not counting tanks). Except that the physics model was tuned for the slow early cars so when you advanced into the more modern era with more powerful engines the collisions became utter random garbage.

Come to think of it, the physics thing is just like Gran Turismo when you're not driving one of the 40 crappy Mazda variants.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 17, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Come to think of it, the physics thing is just like Gran Turismo when you're not driving one of the 40 crappy Mazda variants.

Didn't the majority of the GT cars in 4 or 5 not actually have any damage textures or crash physics because they didn't want or bother adding them?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Gran Turismo 4 had no damage whatsoever, 5 did but it was kind of terrible and only on the "premium" cars if I recall correctly. The "standard" cars, which made up the majority of the cars in the game, were imported from the PS2 games (and some from the PSP version, I think) complete with low-res textures and no proper in-car view.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I don't remember any damage in 5.
GT5 boasted 1000 cars out of which only 200 were PS3-grade, "premium". The others were brought over directly from the PS2/PSP and you couldn't take close-up screenshots of them - the game blocked you. You also had to grind to unlock new late-game races, and log in daily to get XP bonuses and new buckets of paint.

It also featured at least two events the cars for which had to be bought at the "used car dealership" i.e. a random selection of a dozen cars out of 1000 that changed once every few races. Good luck catching one of the three non-poo poo pick up trucks there. The only one you could readily buy was this (Scottish wiki).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

GT5 definitely had car damage, but it was minor deformation at best and I think it didn't even show up until you reached level 20 or something.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

GT5 also had endurance races lasting for hundreds of laps. It had 24 hours of Le Mans in real time.

It took them a year to patch in-race saving in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

GT5 also had endurance races lasting for hundreds of laps. It had 24 hours of Le Mans in real time.

It took them a year to patch in-race saving in.

Why would anyone even want that? What the hell

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Was he also responsible for the online pass fiasco? I remember it was a huge deal when EA finally admitted that, yes, that was a bullshit idea that should never have been put forward in the first place.

Thinking about it as well, do EA even release single-player focussed games these days?
EA still owns Bioware, who made that Inquisition game, right? Project Ten Dollar wasn't JUST Gibeau, it came up in a brainstorming session started by John Riccitiello, though he went whole hog in standing by it. It's good to remember that in EA's corporate structure, each rung on the corporate ladder is eager to please the rung above it, and each rung sets the tone for how the rung below should act and decide.

Cooked Auto posted:

I picked up Most Wanted back when it was on the house for Origin and was going to play it just because I was bored.
Then I saw the DLC list and went nope and promptly forgot about that idea.

Note: All the coloured-in ones are there to save you from time-wasters put in at either a CEO's or shareholder's or marketer's mandate.

I have a very special hatred for Most Wanted 2012.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 17, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

corn in the bible posted:

My brother would play the Gran Turismo games in picture-in-picture mode so he could do the long-rear end races while he watched the news or something. Driving game fans are weird. Not nearly Cabela's weird, but weird.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Great Joe posted:

Note: All the coloured-in ones are there to save you from time-wasters put in at either a CEO's or shareholder's or marketer's mandate.

I have a very special hatred for Most Wanted 2012.

I was mostly pissed over the feeling that they had most likely locked all the cool cars like the Veyron and such behind DLC purchases. I play these games to drive cool cars, not to pay to get access to them with real money.
Then I noticed the mods and all that as well which soured me even further of wanting to actually play that game.

Switching to a similar topic I was pleasantly surprised to hear Test Drive Unlimited 2 get a mention in the video. Which is also one of those car games I developed a strong dislike/hatred for after playing it for some time. Somehow I lasted 28 hours for that game before giving up. Good concept but atrocious execution and an incredibly subpar porting too.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 17, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Konami made a racing game once. No one has ever heard of it since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcwpqkgTZo

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I was mostly pissed over the feeling that they had most likely locked all the cool cars like the Veyron and such behind DLC purchases. I play these games to drive cool cars, not to pay to get access to them with real money.
Then I noticed the mods and all that as well which soured me even further of wanting to actually play that game.
You missed out on some of the worst driving physics ever seen in a video game, oh and over 900 separate EXP bars to fill up.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Great Joe posted:

You missed out on some of the worst driving physics ever seen in a video game, oh and over 900 separate EXP bars to fill up.

Oh lovely. Guess I'll have to reinstall Hot Pursuit if I ever want to drive fast cars without too much of a bother.
Especially since TDU2's driving physics are atrocious as well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I've played driving games with far worse physics than Most Wanted 2012, even within the Need for Speed series. The DLC and EXP system are bullshit and the game feels sort of dry, but it plays a hell of a lot better than something like The Crew.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I also have a special hatred for that game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Crew was free on Xbox Games for Gold a while back and I tried to play it for a couple of hours. I never once felt like I was in control of the car even when I was winning races, and the physics seemed to have a mind of their own so you can never predict how the car will react when you go over bumps or things like that. I don't mind having to fight the car when I'm racing (the Lancia Stratos is my favorite car in Dirt Rally), but I don't want to also be fighting the physics engine like I was constantly doing in The Crew.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'll just leave this right here:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Page 1/9 :stonk:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
If none of the mottos have to be any good, it's really easy to make nine pages of them.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I purchased 2012 Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit and I never felt like I ever had any actual fun playing them. I only bought them because I had just watched Furious 7 and wanted to drive cool fast cars. I mean, I did that, but I don't think it was ever satisfying. The only good NfS game is still Underground 2. That was a fun game. And then they were "rebooting" it for the new one and apparently it sucks. EA. :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

If none of the mottos have to be any good, it's really easy to make nine pages of them.

Where the hell is "Yare Yare Daze", anyway?

(Okay, "I'm still in the negative! I just want to get back to zero!" would fit the Steel Ball Run AND the game in general better, but that might not fit.)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sir Potato posted:

I purchased 2012 Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit and I never felt like I ever had any actual fun playing them. I only bought them because I had just watched Furious 7 and wanted to drive cool fast cars. I mean, I did that, but I don't think it was ever satisfying. The only good NfS game is still Underground 2. That was a fun game. And then they were "rebooting" it for the new one and apparently it sucks. EA. :allears:
Here's a fun thing: Grid 2 is good. Everyone should buy Grid 2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

There was actually a game specifically about that. It sold.
Although I do seem to recall it offered shorter races in addition to the real-time thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

There was actually a game specifically about that. It sold.
Although I do seem to recall it offered shorter races in addition to the real-time thing.
Le Mans 24 Hours/Test Drive Le Mans for the Dreamcast and PC (and apparently PS1 and PS2 as well). It was a fairly fun game at the time if you were into sports car racing, there was a bunch of tracks with a nice weather system and the option to drive condensed races instead of the full 24 hours, which even back then was considered something only total weirdos would attempt.

The thing is, in real-life endurance racing nobody drives the full 24 hours on their own, as the rules prevent that. At Le Mans, every car has a team of three drivers (sometimes just two), and none of them is allowed to drive longer than 4 hours straight or more than 14 hours total. Some crazies did attempt to drive the full 24 hours back in the 50s, but that never turned out very well and was banned later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
The first Grid also had Le Mans in it, it just represented it by 1 minute = 1 hour.

• Locked thread