Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh right, I forgot. There was a pretty decent LP of NFS: Most Wanted, the old one. One of the cooler features to it is this interview with a goon who worked at Black Box and had some things to share about how the sausage was made.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I have to say, I haven't questioned the necessity of something in a game as hard as this ten second segment where Jack steals an "I PWN VEGAS" hat, wears it for about eight seconds, then loses it again because he has to do a sweet jump kick off of a car. That was just weird.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It's necessary because they saw a guy do that in a movie once.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Something I've always wondered was, is Jack Rourke supposed to also be Unnamed-Most-Wanted-2005-Guy (and Carbon too I suppose, as a direct sequel)? If you manage to get busted in MW you can see that their clothing is almost identical and they have the same close-shaven haircut. I always assumed they were supposed to be the same guy.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I do remember that he original E3 bit about this they tried to insinuate that getting out of the car was gonna be a HUGE part of the game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Before I start, I'd like you to consider watching this sorta-pretentious video on Burnout Paradise. I'll be stating points made in this video, but believe me I've had these thoughts in text for years now.

To say why Most Wanted 2012 isn't Burnout Paradise, I first need to define what, to me, Burnout Paradise really is.

Burnout Paradise is dense

At every 100 meters or so in Paradise City there's at least one small thing you could be doing to spice up whatever else you might be doing. A ramp on the sidewalk, a shortcut around a turn, the far end of a street that you could be doing a time-attack on, a row of parked cars with a spot open, a way off the road into a series of sweet jumps, repair shops and gas stations you just pass through to do your thing.

Every single one of these actions helps you get better at the game in some way. Singular ramps and shortcuts that you find while freeroaming can be used to speed you up in a race, the power parking spots help you remember where it's safe to boost along the sidewalk on different parts of the map, the off-road jumps are perfect for upping your multiplier in a Stunt Run and the shops are marked square on the map as you discover them to help you win pretty much any event type in the game.

On top of that, every single intersection and toll booth has an event attached to it, most of them (that is, not the Burning Routes) are open to every single car you could be driving at any time. There's always something to do, and almost none of it is there just to get you to go there for 100% completion's sake.

By contrast, Most Wanted's map is spread so thin that after the first time you've found everything, that's it. There's a fast-travel option, and it's desperately needed to keep you in the less-bad portions of the game. The map has shortcuts, sure, but the rubber banding is so tight that you might as well not use them to gain an upper hand.

Burnout Paradise is infectiously naïve

If you press left, the car goes left, if you press the accelerator the car goes forward, etc. etc. These actions are deliberately immediate, except in two cars that feel all the more heavy and powerful for it. Going into a drift is easy, getting out of a drift is intuitive. It's snappy, it makes you feel all the closer to the car you're driving and the roads you're putting it through. On top of that, almost everything you do wrong immediately feels like it's your fault.

If you press left in Most Wanted, you can actually feel a number of things happen. A virtual steering wheel turns left, a pair of virtual rubber tires angle left and a virtual suspension wobbles about a lot under virtual weight before the entire thing finally decides to turn left. In an odd way it's realistic, but the traction and weight transfer models are simplified to the point that you can't teach yourself to do fancy manoeuvres like the Scandinavian Flick with them. Each turn you take is a reminder of this fact, and it takes you out of the game even further than just being able to pull off that perfect drift every time with just accelerator-turn-brake-accelerator-again and some mild counter-steering.

In Burnout Paradise if you do a handbrake turn into a jump or off a high fall, your car spins gracefully through the air. It's actually a great way to increase your multiplier in Stunt Run. Hell, do it off a split ramp and the game just knows exactly what you're going for and then gives you a double multiplier bonus.

If you do the same in Most Wanted, the car just stops spinning as soon as you're in the air. No, I'm serious. You're spinning around until the last wheel leaves the ground and then just staying at that angle until you land. There's no split ramps, either. If your car is tilted more than 90° sideways the game even just assumes you've "crashed" and resets you somewhere else. I've managed a full roll by falling off that halo sculpture in downtown whateversburg, but my car was still framed in the "crashed" overlay message.

Burnout Paradise has the biggest difficulty slider in video games history

Not only that, it starts you off seated squarely at the easy side of it. It's hidden in plain sight: it's the car selection menu. Every aspect of the game's difficulty is derived from your choice of car, from traversing the world to battling other cars to just how fancy the opponent cars really are. Each harder difficulty setting must be earned - not just by completing different events, but by hunting them down like wild animals as they barrel down the road after your progress sets them loose in the game world.

As you progress, the cars get progressively more complicated, some have individual quirks like the one that literally does a wheelie if you turn on the boost in it. There's no mechanical benefit to learning these new machines: You can actually complete the whole game in the starter car; but you're also missing out on the fun factor of driving at higher speeds and having the game pushing you ever harder to become better at it to succeed. If you want to spice things up even further you can go into an event in a car made for the complete opposite (like starting a Road Rage in a light and brittle Speed car).

Most Wanted meanwhile has you start out in one of the faster cars in the game, and the game doesn't really expect you to get better at handling any of the cars as you progress. Rather, the only barrier to success is to grind. You do a car's list of 6 assigned events to get parts that demand you get 10 Bear rear end Drifts before they upgrade into PRO parts that you then equip and then you've already learnt every trick to beating every single boss in the game. None of the boss cars have any quirks to learn and the fastest car (the Ariel Atom) can be found lying on top of a bridge a short distance from where you started.

Burnout Paradise is free from concessions made to car licenses

Start a race and there's only two restrictions: The starting line and the finish line. Everything else is fair game. Can't do that when you've got a Honda licensed, doesn't look legal enough. Crash a car hard enough and it contorts so hard you could barely recognise it afterwards. Oh, except now you've underlined the fact that cars are unsafe and might kill you, that's a whole load of licenses lost. Remember how that one car could wheelie? Oh, now a competing car manufacturer is complaining their car should do that too, suddenly everybody wants a car that wheelies to stay competitive in the consumer's eyes. Either keep that unique idea to a single car and save the player from a completely garbage driving model or keep all those licenses on-board.

The Burnout series has always had fictional cars and enjoyed far more artistic liberties than its contemporaries for it, from the Crash mode that outright glorifies the act of causing enormous pile-ups, to the truly unique driving models between cars, to the honest anti-authoritarian streak the games have to them.

Burnout Paradise is Atomica

I mean, duh. He's that guy who just wants to help everyone have a good time driving around Paradise City. He pipes in fairly rarely and his '90s extreme mannerisms just keep you in that fun-loving mindset that permeates the game. Over about 3 years, his voice pack would get updated to take emails sent to Criterion and answer them in his signature sassy dudebro manner. Atomica is fun!

Most Wanted has a computer lady voice go "autolog alert" every time you finish an event. That's it. :geno:

Burnout Paradise rewards risk

This has already come up, but Burnout Paradise's gameplay loop is so expertly crafted that it bears mentioning again. You take a risk like going closely past a car or driving against traffic and you immediately get boost for it. You use the boost and suddenly you're able to take risks that are even riskier and more often to earn even more boost. Boost feels good to use: It's an immediate burst of speed, and the camera does its darndest to make you feel like you're going even faster and being even more cool without turning you blind. Keeping your boost going through an entire event feels like a difficult feat in and of itself.

In Most Wanted it's literally impossible to use nitrous for longer than a few seconds, and it barely affects your car at all.

Burnout Paradise's soundtrack is Corporate Punk Schlock at its finest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YSsti1MTgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqosWqlAvLI

Don't lie, one of these made you giggle.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 29, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

That is a good effortpost.

I actually played Most Wanted and Burnout Paradise back-to-back a couple of days ago and drat, I'm not sure how I ever thought Most Wanted was a) a good game or b) anything like Burnout Paradise except for a couple of general gameplay elements. Everything in Most Wanted just feels so weirdly clinical and soulless in comparison to Burnout (in general, not just Paradise). I was never really a fan of the dudebro stylings and EXTREME IN YOUR FACE REVENGE TAKEDOWN stuff of EA's Burnout games, but even the earlier ones with their crappy techno music (some of which is on the Paradise soundtrack) and slightly generic cars are far more interesting and fun than anything in Most Wanted. I seriously don't understand why I liked that game four years ago.

Oh yeah, and no mention of Most Wanted's soundtrack is complete without bringing up that loving awful Muse song that is the first thing you hear when you begin the game and start driving. BEEEEEEST I GOTTA BEEEE THE BEEEEEEEEST :byodood:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Actually, let's talk about car selection in The Run, too. In a lot of car games, you gradually get more cars -- either faster and better, or trickier and more technical but with greater potential. Both those systems offer their own style of progression, and though the former probably emphasizes grinding to succeed more than the other, in both cases you're rewarded for doing well with something different and appreciably better, and lets you take on new challenges you couldn't handle before. Either offers a good way to handle single-player racing games, even though I personally prefer the latter style. When you're making something multiplayer-focused, you need to balance all the different cars in some way, because otherwise everybody will just pick the LFA or whatever and always win. Having different categories is one way of handling this, which is of course what Dirt Rally does... and it is also what The Run does. The Run has a tiered car system, too, and it makes a lot of the game's mechanics pointless.

When you go through a garage, you get a new car. That's fine, and the downside of using a garage (your car stops and you lose time) can be balanced by making the car you get better than the one you have, so it's a risk/reward mechanic. Instead, you get a car that's the same tier as the car you already have, and also everyone else in the race gets a big lead. And later, of course, you get better or faster cars, but everyone else also does and so there's no progression in the cars, just in the stages themselves. Now, making the stages more challenging throughout the game is fine, it's a perfectly acceptable way to have player progression, but then why do you have the option to pick so drat many cars if there's no reason it doesn't make any sense god drat it

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

but then why do you have the option to pick so drat many cars if there's no reason it doesn't make any sense god drat it

The truly frustrating thing is that it's not even as many as it could be. Challenge Series has a lot more available vehicles than the singleplayer mode does and even then, you're still restricted by class tiers. Instead of adjusting difficulty to reflect car choice, you're completely barred from choosing higher tier cars to do earlier Challenge Series maps. The R32 Skyline GT-R, for example, can only be used on a handful of maps. You'll also see AI opponents driving cars like the AE86 or the Hakosuka Skyline in the singleplayer mode which you yourself cannot drive.

It's a very arbitrary and punitive mechanic for the player, I feel.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I just had a thought. This chapter ended with Jack Rourque (my hero :swoon:) stealing one out of a selection of cars that were just sitting there out on the street, in a neighbourhood that didn't even look all that fancy. These cars are Tier 3, which means that they're all better than the cars Jack's been in so far.

You know, one of those cars that his wealthy underground sponsor got him and Jack put in an all-nighter to tune up and get ready to race.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Great Joe posted:

You know, one of those cars that his wealthy underground sponsor got him and Jack put in an all-nighter to tune up and get ready to race.

You mean the one he ditched at a gas station back in California? :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I kinda assumed those were planned care packages from whats-her-face, rather than Jack literally performing grand theft auto.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Even though he just did exactly that? And will again at the Audi dealership.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Great Joe posted:

Effort post

Welp, you just sold me on the only driving game I've ever felt any interest in playing. The closest I've ever come to a driving game is Saints Row 4 - I love the cars in that game and drive them whenever I can, even if running is faster - and Burnout Paradise sounds like that distilled fun in a car. As soon as it goes on sale in Steam, I'm in. Thanks!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

One thing I love about Burnout Paradise that wasn't mentioned in the big effortpost is the comeback of the titular Burnout mechanic that was absent from the earlier EA-published Burnout games (except one of the spinoffs on the PSP, but those don't count). Basically, if you are driving one of the Speed type cars and use up your entire boost meter without releasing the button (or crashing) and keep driving dangerously while doing it, your boost meter is instantly refilled. You can even chain several Burnouts together, I think my record is 6x.

In Burnout 2, using boost had this really cool effect where all the audio goes quiet except for the music, which gets louder and more intense. Burnout 2 is an awesome game in general, and everyone should play it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

I think my record is 6x.
mine's a bit over 20 :kiddo:

edit: This would probably be much harder in the SI-7, because it can't really cover the distance needed for a full refill while boosting. You'd need a really good route to do that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The problem with paradise on pc is the expansion pack was console-only. there's a mod to add in the area but you won't get any of the events or races iirc so it's kinda lame

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, you can't even buy the DLC that DID make it to PC anymore, the server that takes your money doesn't exist.

By the way, I found that guy who keeps having the same name in every movie.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Great Joe posted:

mine's a bit over 20 :kiddo:

edit: This would probably be much harder in the SI-7, because it can't really cover the distance needed for a full refill while boosting. You'd need a really good route to do that.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=AnCCpPUej1E&video_start=0&audio=Z6NaZrPQGfY&audio_start=0

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, why is Jack our protagonist, again?

He's kind of lacking in any kind of sympathetic or interesting quality.

Further, after much work, I still haven't figured out how "Jack Rourke" abbreviates to "Jojo".

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

chiasaur11 posted:

So, why is Jack our protagonist, again?

He's kind of lacking in any kind of sympathetic or interesting quality.

Further, after much work, I still haven't figured out how "Jack Rourke" abbreviates to "Jojo".

Well, Jack is a diminutive of John and Jonathan. JoRo is close enough, maybe?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm just going to call him Mojo Jojo from here after.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Whatever his name is, he's my hero.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

We saw a cutscene in which he drunks on the go. Will there be one where he shits out the window while driving through a hairpin?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Considering the current events, we may never know...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So on a whim I reinstalled Burnout Paradise. I'm not even that annoyed by the fact I have to unlock pretty much everything again because my old as hell account got wiped or something like that because the game is just so fun and it's blast to drive even the starter cars.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

STAGE FOUR: DESSERT RUINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cqsvXBXEc4

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
How the gently caress do you two not know Ministry?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Triple A posted:

How the gently caress do you two not know Ministry?

If it makes you feel any better I don't either. :v:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
How the gently caress do goons keep mispronouncing Gallardo? It's an Italian car, not Spanish, so the double-L does not produce a "Y" sound. I explained this years ago and no one seems to listen.

It's pronounced "gal-LAR-doh", not "ga-YAR-doh". And I'm aware I'm getting too worked up about it, but I didn't learn and forget the Italian language just so I could sit back and watch you guys keep loving it up.

[/rant]

I also have not heard of Ministry.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

How the gently caress do goons keep mispronouncing Gallardo? It's an Italian car, not Spanish, so the double-L does not produce a "Y" sound. I explained this years ago and no one seems to listen.

It's pronounced "gal-LAR-doh", not "ga-YAR-doh". And I'm aware I'm getting too worked up about it, but I didn't learn and forget the Italian language just so I could sit back and watch you guys keep loving it up.

[/rant]

Did you also correct Olive Branch in the old MW thread? I didn't really follow along with the thread I mostly just watched the updates.

I miss the Gallardo. :smith: The Huracan doesn't really do it for me. That said, what I'd really like to see more of is the 25th anniversary Countach. :getin: The only game I remember seeing it in was the original Hot Pursuit, actually. Every other game with a Countach is usually just a 5000QV.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bman in 2288 posted:

[/rant]

well i hope this makes you happier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF0UotQTq14

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 3, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tofu Survivor posted:

Did you also correct Olive Branch in the old MW thread? I didn't really follow along with the thread I mostly just watched the updates.

Yes, he didn't listen to me.

Yes, I feel a bit better now.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bman in 2288 posted:

[/rant]

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0MjmE6AyN31

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 3, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Goddamnit, I hate spanish.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bman in 2288 posted:

Goddamnit, I hate spanish.
I mean, I don't think Italy did much in breeding bulls for bullfighting.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Great Joe posted:

I mean, I don't think Italy did much in breeding bulls for bullfighting.

I guess I deserve that.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'll admit I didn't scan everything in the thread, but has anyone noticed that the loading screen map is pretty off? It starts in California but ends in the South East of the states, like in Georgia. Not New York. It is driving me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

bman in 2288 posted:

[/rant]

The Nissan Skyline is a Japanese car, so everyone should be pronouncing it "Skyrine"

• Locked thread