Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the unabonger

misty mountaintop posted:

Let's read a children's book so it'll be over faster. I mean like a picture book. Let's start small.

Im fan of the book No David

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

from lower down on that page:

Motorcycle High-The Sequel
Rock Pounder and the gang take on the Mexican Drug Cartel in the second volume of Motorcycle High.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Was looking through my parents cellar and found some of my grandfathers children books from the early 1900s and my moms collection of the Oz books

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
I change my vote to "Voluntary Madness"

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3860427-voluntary-madness

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

pretty brutal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FreshCutFries

Blake Jantzen lol

FreshCutFries

Famous first lines in literature, "Call me Ishmael," "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," "Clutter spilled across the desktop in Ray Jantzen's home office: unopened junk mail, books, a running shoe with a broken lace, file folders, research notes for a paper he'd published in the American Journal of Psychiatry and...a gun."

blondcockerel

gently caress, that harlequinn book actually sounds hilarious.

Alright, we've got a few choices:

Dune (Frank Herbert) -
+ Well-received critically, has many awards, is probably good
+ So far has had the most votes
- Not a good book club book (mister magpie, 2016)

Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami) -
+ Also well-received critically
+ Was the focus of a BYOB book club eight years ago (Shakill Oreal, 2016)
- Not a lot of votes

Voluntary Madness (Norah Vincent) -
+ Sounds hilarious in how ignorant and dry it is, as well as full of confirmation bias
- Apparently dryly written, founded on ignorant principles which author then confirms through bias

Lock, Stock, and Secret Baby (Cassie Miles) -
+ Oh wow, does this sound hilariously bad
- Late-comer to the suggestions

The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath) -
+/- Depressing as hell and emotionally draining

FreshCutFries

i absolutely change my vote to Lock, Stock, and Secret Baby (Special Delivery Babies #1). dune can wait.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

from lower down on that page:

Motorcycle High-The Sequel
Rock Pounder and the gang take on the Mexican Drug Cartel in the second volume of Motorcycle High.

Rock Pounder, adventure rider extraordinaire, is planning a round-the-world trip on his motorcycle. His goal is Amsterdam and the herbal refreshment that awaits him there. But when you’re a legend—among women, adventure riders, and spies—nothing is ever as simple as it seems. There’s a reason that Rock Pounder’s picture hangs in the best brothels in Amsterdam. His abilities are legendary, as women around the world will tell you. Rock has ridden the famous Road of Bones in Russia. He’s traveled the snake-infested jungles of Central America, all the way through the Darién Gap, where no riders dare to travel. And with his trusty dirt bike, he’s climbed the great peaks of the Himalayas. Rock Pounder, a man of many wiles, matches wits with the CIA, the KGB, and the Russian mafia. The journey will take him places he never expected to go. But when Rock Pounder is on a mission, no one stands in his way, except, maybe, a tall blonde who means nothing but trouble

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Twerkteam Pizza

LET'S READ HARLAN ELLISON TOGETHER FRIENDS

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
can I toss in a suggestion

“Americanah” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche

haven't read it, but I've heard plenty of good things

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
I vote for either Harold and the Purple Crayon, In the Night Kitchen, or The Cat in the Hat

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
There's actually a ton to discuss about In the Night Kitchen. Very controversial book.

Twerkteam Pizza

HighwireAct posted:

can I toss in a suggestion

“Americanah” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche

haven't read it, but I've heard plenty of good things

Half of a Yellow Sun is also really good

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
american gods. i finally read it and its good

thanks Manifisto!

the unabonger
we can read the books I assign my students. Esperanza rising is up first

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
I've been hearing a lot of great things lately about Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

a bunch of people are saying that gyasi's going to be a young author to watch in these next few years

HighwireAct fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 21, 2016

Piso Mojado

mailorder bees! posted:

american gods. i finally read it and its good

I listened to that on the drive out from stl to sd and it was incredible.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

i flunked out posted:

we can read the books I assign my students. Esperanza rising is up first

This looks like a great choice to me. I would totally read this.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
What grade are your students?

----------------

the unabonger
6th

FluffieDuckie

it's within the realm of possibility that i would read a 6th grade level book

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

FluffieDuckie posted:

it's within the realm of possibility that i would read a 6th grade level book

:agreed:

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
Story of O

In February 1955, Story of O won the French literature prize Prix des Deux Magots, although this did not prevent the French authorities from bringing obscenity charges against the publisher. The charges were rejected by the courts, but a publicity ban was imposed for a number of years.

been on my reading list for a long time

----------------

blondcockerel

Hey guys, I can no longer be in charge of book club. My best friend's dog is really sick, and since he has a tendency to fall down and be unable to get up, she and I are acting as his doggy Life Alert until the vet opens up again on Monday. They thought he had a stomach illness but he's been getting worse over the weekend.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

blondcockerel posted:

Hey guys, I can no longer be in charge of book club. My best friend's dog is really sick, and since he has a tendency to fall down and be unable to get up, she and I are acting as his doggy Life Alert until the vet opens up again on Monday. They thought he had a stomach illness but he's been getting worse over the weekend.

:( hope he gets better soon! it's good that you and your friend are going to be there to care for him in the meantime

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
:glomp:

----------------

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

Piso Mojado posted:

I listened to that on the drive out from stl to sd and it was incredible.

i heard the audible version was really good; full cast and everything

thanks Manifisto!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I read this one about 35 years ago: Bored of the Rings if I read it again it would count as a first time read!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Splatmaster posted:

I read this one about 35 years ago: Bored of the Rings if I read it again it would count as a first time read!

I read that in high school and still remember the names from time to time.

treasure bear

oh sorry i was looking for the book club where we just have a load of books and pile them up, hold them etc but never read them

alnilam

oh i thought we were listing all these books so we could get them all and glue them together into a bludgeon/club

the demilich of elmidor said "only knowledge can defeat me" well let's see how he feels after we book him

treasure bear

i found my unread copy of dune on the side of the bed that i never go to next to my truly excellent BS1363 plug sockets

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i make forts out of my books

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

treasure bear posted:

i found my unread copy of dune on the side of the bed that i never go to next to my truly excellent BS1363 plug sockets

Sexy sockets :wink:

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
this is a book suggestion club, any actual reading of books is against the rules

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Ayn rand

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Im in and totally voting kafka on the shore. sounds like i a good first book club book :)

bell jar was good (1 of my fav books ever..) but uh. we should save that for winter time byob and we can finish before Xmas and then be super appreciative for what we have :unsmith: cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

*farts in a jar* oh you said bell jar?

• Locked thread